Deleting ABS [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Deleting ABS

_HeC_
04-28-2013, 09:07 AM
did any N-bodys come with a non-abs master? tried searching a bit but came up empty handed everywhere. i hate ABS, car doesnt see winter and a 5speed is going in so the traction control crap is useless to me anyways as i believe that is somehow tied in with the abs?

sleepyalero
04-28-2013, 09:12 AM
uhhh i have the six speed. trac control still will show i have "low trac" when i get the tires spinning but will not bog the motor down whether i have the switch on or off. it still wont bog.

but as for ABS... keep it, it COULD save your life, or your car.

_HeC_
04-28-2013, 09:15 AM
i know how to drive lol ive had lots of cars with no ABS and currently have it bypassed in my jimmy as it sucks balls, another reason i want to do it is to clear up the engine bay a bit

[ChaosweaveR]
04-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Why would you want to remove a useful safety feature?

sleepyalero
04-28-2013, 09:20 AM
thats what everyone says then boom! some idiot slams on there brakes in front of you and you slam on the brakes but all you do is skid tires into his rear end. i mean its not an everyday thing it happens like that, but very possible, anyway its your car. do what you want.

as for previous models not having abs, doubt it. im sure they all had it. plus i dont know anyone who has deleted the abs.

if you dont want abs, unplug all four abs sensors on the wheel hubs and you wont have it anymore, you'll just have a light on on the dash telling you "ABS"

_HeC_
04-28-2013, 09:25 AM
if you dont want abs, unplug all four abs sensors on the wheel hubs and you wont have it anymore, you'll just have a light on on the dash telling you "ABS"
that still leaves a big bulky ABS master in the engine bay, im going to take a closer look at a J-body non-abs master next junk yard visit and see if i can get that to work maybe

its going to get tuned with HPT, can that delete the ABS crap and keep the light off my dash?

[ChaosweaveR]
04-28-2013, 09:27 AM
I still don't understand the reasoning behind this.

TDavis
04-28-2013, 09:29 AM
;1212498']I still don't understand the reasoning behind this.

This was the thought in my head when I read the thread title

2000 GT Coupe
04-28-2013, 09:36 AM
not all ABS systems are made the same one in the grandam for example isn't as good as some of the other ones especially as it's now over 10 years old the technology has improved a lot.

[ChaosweaveR]
04-28-2013, 09:37 AM
The ABS was fine in my GAGT, never caused an issue with the few panic stops I needed to to.

geldartb
04-28-2013, 09:39 AM
that still leaves a big bulky ABS master in the engine bay,

you do realize where the abs stuff is right. it's not even in the engine bay itself..the big abs unit it buried in the fender right near the washer fluid container..

so even if you find a master cyl that will work it's still going to take up the same amount of space in the engine bay..

2000 GT Coupe
04-28-2013, 09:44 AM
I am not sure the master cylinder would need to be replaced, but you would need to find a proportioning valve, as the abs unit does that job.

For most everyday driving I think the abs in the grand am does just fine, but if you do racing the abs would keep you from getting faster laps, IMO.
And the problems with working on it are numerous so just a fix it stand point I can see why someone would want to remove it.

geldartb
04-28-2013, 09:52 AM
but you would need to find a proportioning valve, as the abs unit does that job.

^^^that

IIRC the master cyl on the GA only has two lines that come out of it that go to the abs and that breaks it off to 4 lines one for each wheel.

_HeC_
04-28-2013, 09:54 AM
ya im aware of the ABS unit connected to the frame.... had a brain fart earlier, ive been a jbody guy for like 15 yrs and thinking of how big there ABS master is lol either way im not a fan of ABS and how often sensors seem to go bad on these cars

AaronGTR
04-28-2013, 07:11 PM
Yes, there is no reason to get rid of the ABS. And it has nothing to do with the traction control either, other than the fact the wheel speed sensor signals are routed through it to the PCM. They are used to control both the ABS and the traction control by determining wheel speed differences. The actual traction control feature affects the engine though. It doesn't use the brakes. So it will still work even with a manual trans. And I don't care how good a driver you think you are... no human can stop a car faster or more safely than a well calibrated ABS computer. Getting rid of it is pointless and stupid.

[ChaosweaveR]
04-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Yes, there is no reason to get rid of the ABS. And it has nothing to do with the traction control either, other than the fact the wheel speed sensor signals are routed through it to the PCM. They are used to control both the ABS and the traction control by determining wheel speed differences. The actual traction control feature affects the engine though. It doesn't use the brakes. So it will still work even with a manual trans. And I don't care how good a driver you think you are... no human can stop a car faster or more safely than a well calibrated ABS computer. Getting rid of it is pointless and stupid.

Bingo.

I bet he'll wish he had ABS when the need for a panic stop arises and he slides into something. lol

Hanauer51
04-28-2013, 07:18 PM

^This. If GM didn't think it was useful it wouldn't be on the car.. it definitely has its function, and getting rid of it would be just plain dumb.

sleepyalero
04-29-2013, 01:16 AM
;1212565']Bingo.

I bet he'll wish he had ABS when the need for a panic stop arises and he slides into something. lol

exactly what i said lol

_HeC_
04-29-2013, 06:57 AM
Geeze so many pro ABS people here lol I'm curious how old are you guys?

[ChaosweaveR]
04-29-2013, 07:16 AM
Geeze so many pro ABS people here lol I'm curious how old are you guys?

What does age have to do with anything? It's a safety feature that actually helps the car stop quicker. The stock brakes on these cars are junk as is, they need all the stopping power they can get.

2000 GT Coupe
04-29-2013, 01:20 PM
;1212623']What does age have to do with anything? It's a safetno absy feature that actually helps the car stop quicker. The stock brakes on these cars are junk as is, they need all the stopping power they can get.

What is asking us how many of you started driving using the 70s or early 80s cars.

To add to this, when I started driving they taught us never to "panic stop"
If you needed to stop fast you quickly pumped the pedal or you held it at the point right before your brakes locked up. Obviously now people just jam the pedal to the floor and never give it any regard to how it stops.

PhantomLover007
04-29-2013, 01:44 PM
ABS is designed to keep the brakes from locking up by "braking and unbraking" many times faster than a human could pump the brakes so you can maintain control of the vehicle and not wind up locking up your brakes and ending up being a missile.

_HeC_
04-29-2013, 01:49 PM
What is asking us how many of you started driving using the 70s or early 80s cars.

To add to this, when I started driving they taught us never to "panic stop"
If you needed to stop fast you quickly pumped the pedal or you held it at the point right before your brakes locked up. Obviously now people just jam the pedal to the floor and never give it any regard to how it stops.

^yup and cars in the 90s and 2000s

i learned to drive on NON-ABS vehicles and its not hard to pump your brakes in a sticky situation, hell ive had more closer calls with ABS vehicles locking up when they shouldnt because of a electrical issue... what ever happened to KISS? Keep It Simple Stupid

[ChaosweaveR]
04-29-2013, 02:19 PM
^yup and cars in the 90s and 2000s

i learned to drive on NON-ABS vehicles and its not hard to pump your brakes in a sticky situation, hell ive had more closer calls with ABS vehicles locking up when they shouldnt because of a electrical issue... what ever happened to KISS? Keep It Simple Stupid

I'd like to see you make a non-ABS equipped car stop quicker than a car with ABS.

I already know the answer: you can't.

HURR DURR I REJECT TECHNOLOGY ADVANCES CUZ I LIKE OLD SCHOOL HURR. Shut up.

2000 GT Coupe
04-29-2013, 02:24 PM
ABS is designed to keep the brakes from locking up by "braking and unbraking" many times faster than a human could pump the brakes so you can maintain control of the vehicle and not wind up locking up your brakes and ending up being a missile.

I like abs, but I can see many situations where it is troublesome. Fixing it is a pain in the ass. See the many threads on abs problems;crap

I try not to rely on it too much. In many cars, the grand am is one the design is not always good enough to adequately deal with every situation.

My SVX is another that the abs is not as good. I have had the car try to roll out into other cars because the abs was acting up. and by that I mean it was working to its design but it was not working as real world says it should.
For example If one tire locks up it releases all tires.

O1GAGT
04-29-2013, 08:37 PM
I have never been a fan of ABS or traction control features at low speeds under wet or icy conditions. On the other side, I personally see ABS as a potential benefit at mid to high speeds on dry/wet roads under a panic stop where you have a greater risk of locking up the brakes.

ABS or not, it is important to know how your car will react under all types of driving conditions. In the end it is all depends drivers ability to control the vehicle.

_HeC_
04-29-2013, 09:24 PM
;1212655']

HURR DURR I REJECT TECHNOLOGY ADVANCES CUZ I LIKE OLD SCHOOL HURR. Shut up.
You would think being 26yrs old you would be a bit more mature, your probably the cool guy that added the racist tag to this thread too

bricooper78
04-29-2013, 10:00 PM
yea, that's his spelling alright...

in dry conditions, bald tires w/out ABS stop fastest.

unfortunately, that's not all the weather you're probably going to drive in.. but if you want to disco it, you'll need to run all new lines to a booster with 4 connections. It's pretty simple, I don't understand it, why you'd do it, I think it's insane, but all you're doing is running new metal hose from the booster to the caliper hose on the strut.

SikMindz
04-30-2013, 03:18 AM
While you're at it other things to remove to keep things simple:
- automatic windows
- A/C unit
- power steering
- air bags
- head rests
- spare tire
- rear seats
- passenger seat
- cupholders
- radio

...because who needs'em?

_HeC_
04-30-2013, 03:59 AM
Actually power steering is something I've been looking at getting rid of aswell, I'd LOVE a manual rack in a GA but clearly that's not a easy option but might have something up my sleeve lol spare tire would be getting tossed aswell, doubt it would clear my brakes

sleepyalero
04-30-2013, 04:14 AM
Sht that reminds me, I might as well take out my spare, my baers def won't clear it.

[ChaosweaveR]
04-30-2013, 04:34 AM
You would think being 26yrs old you would be a bit more mature, your probably the cool guy that added the racist tag to this thread too

I love how you automatically assume it's me.

But hey, now you've got your panties in a bunch because I mocked you over your mindset. Now you need to deflect, huh? Cute.

geldartb
04-30-2013, 06:29 AM
While you're at it other things to remove to keep things simple:
- automatic windows
- A/C unit
- power steering
- air bags
- head rests
- spare tire
- rear seats
- passenger seat
- cupholders
- radio

...because who needs'em?

- bitch please roll down the windows yourself
- eh sweat a little
- who needs them
- bulk up those forearms
- eh useless car item
- who uses those things anyway. that's what AAA is for
- don't use the damn thing anyway..
- make them sit on the floor
- that's what the passenger sitting on the floor is for
- loud exhaust no need for a radio.

rocketfast123
04-30-2013, 08:07 AM
If you have to ask how to disable the system, you might want to keep it.

_HeC_
04-30-2013, 12:33 PM
i didnt ask how to disable it, i asked if any came factory without it and what else is tied into it electronically. If i can handle real Canadian winters with no ABS im not to worried about a grand am in the summer months

GM's ABS is garbage for the most part, maybe they have made it better in newer models but im not a fan of it. Some manufactures actually make a very useful and well designed ABS system but not GM IMO

AleroB888
04-30-2013, 12:49 PM
thats what everyone says then boom! some idiot slams on there brakes in front of you and you slam on the brakes but all you do is skid tires into his rear end. ..."

Don't tailgate

geldartb
04-30-2013, 01:19 PM
thats what everyone says then boom! some idiot slams on there brakes in front of you and you slam on the brakes but all you do is skid tires into his rear end.

i bet you are the type that tailgate's and then get's pissed when the guy in front does this to you.

sleepyalero
04-30-2013, 06:46 PM
i bet you are the type that tailgate's and then get's pissed when the guy in front does this to you.

you think i tailgate in a car i love to death? lol nah i keep my distance.