Good Tranny Rebuild Kits [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Good Tranny Rebuild Kits

semborski
04-29-2013, 09:57 AM
Anyone rebuilt their tranny recently?
What are some good kits?

I've only heard bad things about percision.

Thanks for any help.

sleepyalero
04-29-2013, 10:38 AM
here ya go.

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/gmautofwd.shtml

4T40E / 4T45E GENERAL MOTORS FRONT WHEEL DRIVE
Cavalier, Malibu, Cutlass, Alero, Grand Am, Sunfire

Valve bodies are custom calibrated to provide firm, efficient shifts.
Modified pressure regulation system to furnish precise line pressure increase as needed with open throttle conditions.
Redesigned converter clutch apply circuit to yield greater holding capacity under high horsepower use.
New Solenoids installed
Modified pressure control solenoid installed (4T65E)
Additional Clutches Installed
Hi-Energy Friction Material Installed
Modified pump to increase volume and enhance fluid flow throughout the unit.
Heat treated pump driveshaft to prevent spline stripping
Heat treated apply sleeve to prevent breakage
Modified aftermarket front sun gear to prevent the pitting and galling often associated with the OEM part.
Heat treated final drive sun gear to prevent the metal fatigue associated with the OEM part.
New Torrington Bearing set installed to reduce frictional losses and prevent component failure
High strength drive chains utilized to prevent stretch and skipping teeth.
Limited Slip Differential available (optional)
4T40E and 4T45E: $2975

Please call or email us to order a complete transmission.

i was going to get that in the 4t45e, but settled on the 6 speed swap.

semborski
04-29-2013, 10:48 AM
Dont really need a performance transmission. And only the kit.

sleepyalero
04-29-2013, 10:58 AM
well they got a whole list of things, call and see if you can get certain parts.

HOYS
04-29-2013, 11:32 AM
http://stores.ebay.com/Winners-Choice-Transmission-Parts/4T40E-4T45E-/_i.html?_fsub=1533017011&_sid=922740691&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

I used this guy for my parts. Was able to source blue plate clutches and was very helpful over the phone...though I was building a cobalt trans :)

mfuller
04-29-2013, 11:38 AM
Anyone rebuilt their tranny recently?
What are some good kits?

I've only heard bad things about percision.

Thanks for any help.

I've never had an issue with parts from Whatever It Takes (https://www.wittrans.com/Parts-Finder-Result.aspx?Tran=4%20Spd%20FWD&SearchTerm=4T45E). I have bought friction material, steels and bands from them in the past.
Also, I have used aluminum accumulator pistons from Superior Transmission (http://www.superior-transmission.com/Product_Page.cfm?ID=91).

AaronGTR
04-29-2013, 06:22 PM
here ya go.

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/gmautofwd.shtml

4T40E / 4T45E GENERAL MOTORS FRONT WHEEL DRIVE
Cavalier, Malibu, Cutlass, Alero, Grand Am, Sunfire

Valve bodies are custom calibrated to provide firm, efficient shifts.
Modified pressure regulation system to furnish precise line pressure increase as needed with open throttle conditions.
Redesigned converter clutch apply circuit to yield greater holding capacity under high horsepower use.
New Solenoids installed
Modified pressure control solenoid installed (4T65E)
Additional Clutches Installed
Hi-Energy Friction Material Installed
Modified pump to increase volume and enhance fluid flow throughout the unit.
Heat treated pump driveshaft to prevent spline stripping
Heat treated apply sleeve to prevent breakage
Modified aftermarket front sun gear to prevent the pitting and galling often associated with the OEM part.
Heat treated final drive sun gear to prevent the metal fatigue associated with the OEM part.
New Torrington Bearing set installed to reduce frictional losses and prevent component failure
High strength drive chains utilized to prevent stretch and skipping teeth.
Limited Slip Differential available (optional)
4T40E and 4T45E: $2975

Please call or email us to order a complete transmission.

i was going to get that in the 4t45e, but settled on the 6 speed swap.

This... I would be extremely suspicious of. Never heard of them, never heard of anyone who's bought one of their trans, and quite frankly some of the mods they list sound like complete BS! They claim they add extra clutches to the trans? Really?! You CAN'T add extra clutches to the trans. There is only space inside for the clutches the trans was designed to use. You can upgrade the clutches... but they don't tell you what they use either.

As for DIY kits... there aren't any. This trans isn't popular enough for anyone to offer that. You have to research and buy the parts yourself.

HOYS
04-29-2013, 07:11 PM
This... I would be extremely suspicious of. Never heard of them, never heard of anyone who's bought one of their trans, and quite frankly some of the mods they list sound like complete BS! They claim they add extra clutches to the trans? Really?! You CAN'T add extra clutches to the trans. There is only space inside for the clutches the trans was designed to use. You can upgrade the clutches... but they don't tell you what they use either.

As for DIY kits... there aren't any. This trans isn't popular enough for anyone to offer that. You have to research and buy the parts yourself.

There are DIY kits. Check the eBay seller I linked. Pretty much every part you can think of there minus the Blue plate frictions (which he can special order).

semborski
04-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Where can you get teh raybestos clutches?

mfuller
04-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Where can you get teh raybestos clutches?
At the link posted earlier. Whatever It Takes (https://www.wittrans.com/showfilter.aspx?Category=793&Section=140).
You want part # 14119AHP, which is the Friction Module, 4T40E(High Perf, Blue Plate)1995-Up.

AleroB888
04-30-2013, 11:15 AM

I have heard of this being done to some automatics (the TH400 for example), from some builders I've talked to, but not on our trans., and also there are trade-offs and pitfalls involved. Here's one example:

http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/techarticles/drivetrain/129_1002_turbo_400_rebuilding_tips_and_tricks/26443961+w193/129_1002_17_o+general_motors_th400_engine+six_fric tions_direct_clutch.jpg

"Ideally, you want to fit six frictions inside the direct clutch apply drum on the TH400. To achieve this, a transmission builder must select the thinnest combination of steel discs and friction elements. The more you fit, the longer the life span of the clutch material will be. However, if you install too many clutch packs, you will not have enough endplay and this can cause a harsh reverse engagement. Ideally, you want 0.004 to 0.006 inch of endplay in the direct clutch pack."

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/drivetrain/129_1002_turbo_400_rebuilding_tips_and_tricks/viewall.html#ixzz2Ry0O2kNy

Also, I was told a stronger input shaft was still available.

sleepyalero
04-30-2013, 06:49 PM

a few aleromod people have heard of it. but i never called them to ask about this transmission.

oh well

AaronGTR
04-30-2013, 07:56 PM
A lot of the things they listed also sound suspiciously like things GM improved on the factory transmissions over the years. IE strengthening the pump shaft, heat treating input sun gear and other components, improved thrust washers and bearings, modifying the valve body, etc etc...

I wonder how much they are actually doing and how much of it's just them updating to the newest GM spec OEM parts.

The first two things they list,
"Valve bodies are custom calibrated to provide firm, efficient shifts.
Modified pressure regulation system to furnish precise line pressure increase as needed with open throttle conditions."
those are things that mechanical modifications won't even affect. Those are electronically controlled. Without reprogramming the PCM, nothing they do is going to change the shift pressure. It really just sounds to me like they are taking advantage of people who don't know squat about these transmissions.

HOYS
05-01-2013, 12:43 AM
A lot of the things they listed also sound suspiciously like things GM improved on the factory transmissions over the years. IE strengthening the pump shaft, heat treating input sun gear and other components, improved thrust washers and bearings, modifying the valve body, etc etc...

I wonder how much they are actually doing and how much of it's just them updating to the newest GM spec OEM parts.

The first two things they list,
"Valve bodies are custom calibrated to provide firm, efficient shifts.
Modified pressure regulation system to furnish precise line pressure increase as needed with open throttle conditions."
those are things that mechanical modifications won't even affect. Those are electronically controlled. Without reprogramming the PCM, nothing they do is going to change the shift pressure. It really just sounds to me like they are taking advantage of people who don't know squat about these transmissions.

Yes and no. There are problems with actuator feed valve (regulates pressure to the control solenoid) having its bore become damaged and not properly working. Usually you get harsh 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. There is a Sonnax kit to fix it.

http://www.sonnax.com/system/announcement/33886-01K.pdf

AaronGTR
05-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Yes and no. There are problems with actuator feed valve (regulates pressure to the control solenoid) having its bore become damaged and not properly working. Usually you get harsh 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. There is a Sonnax kit to fix it.

http://www.sonnax.com/system/announcement/33886-01K.pdf

That looks more like a fix for regular wear though, rather than an actual design problem with the valve. I could see that definitely being useful if that problem popped up though.

HOYS
05-01-2013, 06:02 PM
That looks more like a fix for regular wear though, rather than an actual design problem with the valve. I could see that definitely being useful if that problem popped up though.

Either way it is an improvement over the stock valve...making it an improvement worth mentioning.

Sure just throwing in parts that GM updated in later year trans. models isn't really a big selling point but if your trans. doesn't have it and they can put it in...its kind of an upgrade. Half of the junk people do to 4T65s (hardended 4th, ratcheting sprag etc...) are all things GM did later in the trans.