Changing DRL [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Changing DRL

Sleepwalkr
04-29-2013, 06:35 PM
I'm sorry if this was covered somewhere, but I did look and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

So, that little 194 bulb between the headlight and the turn signal?.... Is there a way to make that bulb the one that lights up for the DRL, instead of the headlight bulb at half power? I don't wanna disable the DRL's, just change which light comes on. Plus, if there is a way, would having the LED bulb in there cause an SES light because they draw so little power? I have an nice bright-ass LED bulb in there now and I was thinking it'd look sweet with that being the DRL. Plus, it may keep my $60 9007's from burning out as fast.

Thanks

[ChaosweaveR]
04-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Considering the DRL system runs off of the headlight wires...I dunno how you'd tap into that directly without effecting the headlight wires themselves.

Maybe disable the DRLs and tap into the parking light wires and run a switch?

bricooper78
04-29-2013, 07:14 PM
Well, since they're already going to be on with the headlights anyway, you could just wire them bulbs to anything key-hot (like the wipers), so when the key is on, those lights are on..

that would be the easiest way IMO

kzulfic
04-29-2013, 08:08 PM
Well, since they're already going to be on with the headlights anyway, you could just wire them bulbs to anything key-hot (like the wipers), so when the key is on, those lights are on..

This^^ I think It's a neat idea though, if you do it post some pics, I'm interested in seeing it.

bricooper78
04-29-2013, 08:10 PM
Yes, do it, and post pics. I don't want to do it, but I've thought about that a few times over the years with my car. I hate that stupid light and have always wanted to make it something useful lol

Sleepwalkr
05-01-2013, 07:53 AM

Good idea, but the headlight bulb would still come on right? I'm looking for a way switch the drl to that 194 bulb, instead of the headlight bulb. Any more ideas?

TruGreenGAGT
05-01-2013, 09:57 AM
yes disable the DRL function of the car. then do as stated above just run the positive wire from that 194 bulb to something thats key hot....then any time you start the car that 194 bulb comes on and is now your DRL....

bricooper78
05-01-2013, 07:20 PM
^^^ that's what I was thinkin' ! Jim's starting to read muh mind lol

kzulfic
05-01-2013, 07:43 PM
^^^ that's what I was thinkin' ! Jim's starting to read muh mind lol

Thinking? That's what you posted above him fool. lol

bricooper78
05-01-2013, 07:44 PM
I didn't post to disable dr.................. wait a sec, yea, basically i DID!

Jim you IMPOSTER! lol

TruGreenGAGT
05-01-2013, 08:36 PM
i was clearing up what you posted....since OP didnt seem to grapse the concept...

bricooper78
05-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Yea, I know...

I need a translator most of the time