Struts [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Struts

Pride43
05-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Okay I did some research on struts, I need back struts btw. I dont want to buy $300 struts either. No performance ones as well, just good ones for everyday commute driver. I heard monroes are good then bad, gabriels are good then bad, even KYB or Techico. I want to hear from people who bought a specific brand and there feedback before I invest in BS. Thanks

AaronGTR
05-01-2013, 03:50 PM
I haven't heard anything bad about Monroe. They have a pretty decent reputation as far as replacement parts. No personal experience with Gabriels. Never heard of Techico, unless maybe you meant Tokico? They don't make struts for our car, at least not that I've ever heard of. They are mostly for Japanese cars.

As for me, I've used KYB GR2's on two different cars, and they've always done a good job.

young gun
05-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Buy the monro econo quick struts and you will regret it, complete crap! I have heard nothing bad about the normal monro's or KYB. Never heard anything about gabriel or techico. That said KYB's being more performance related I would say get the mono's. They will come with some kind of warrenty too I believe.

AaronGTR
05-01-2013, 03:59 PM
The KYB GR2's are an OEM type replacement. ;) Not a performance strut. The AGX's are a performance oriented strut, hence their adjustability.

young gun
05-01-2013, 04:02 PM
The KYB GR2's are an OEM type replacement. ;) Not a performance strut. The AGX's are a performance oriented strut, hence their adjustability.

This is why I love you, you know to damn much lol. Could of sworn the GR2's were supposed to be better then OEM.

DaRkWaVe
05-01-2013, 07:09 PM
I only have experience with Monroe. I put quick struts on the front and back. They have about 50,000 miles on them. No problems to report.

AaronGTR
05-01-2013, 08:57 PM
This is why I love you, you know to damn much lol. Could of sworn the GR2's were supposed to be better then OEM.

Well, they are slightly better than the factory struts. They are gas charged which helps keep the shock oil from foaming and heating up, which makes them more consistent. They are engineered as a stock replacement though. They aren't any stiffer, and aren't meant to be a performance upgrade.

spartan0199
05-02-2013, 11:14 AM
I have Monroe Economy struts for about 35,000 miles so far and they are fine. I guess it depends how long you want to keep the car. My car already had ~160k when I changed the OEM ones...

pauljs75
05-02-2013, 03:49 PM
I wonder if aftermarket OEM replacements specify the difference between FE2 and FE3 suspension packages. Those are both considered "factory", but the difference in ride and handling is significant enough to notice depending on how you like to drive. (FE2 is a bit too soft in my opinon, since I prefer the car to sit flat in corners. However some people might consider FE3 to be too harsh and might opt the other way.)

AaronGTR
05-02-2013, 05:47 PM
I wonder if aftermarket OEM replacements specify the difference between FE2 and FE3 suspension packages. Those are both considered "factory", but the difference in ride and handling is significant enough to notice depending on how you like to drive. (FE2 is a bit too soft in my opinon, since I prefer the car to sit flat in corners. However some people might consider FE3 to be too harsh and might opt the other way.)

iirc FE2 was only used on 4cyl SE's since they had a lighter engine in front, so the spring were slightly different and rear sway bar was smaller. All V6 cars had FE3 suspension with the same springs and sway bars. Most grand ams out there are FE3, and I don't think any of the aftermarket replacements differentiated between the two, in order to keep production costs down.

xrob
05-03-2013, 07:59 PM
So running 18s which should must beneficial? To everyday driving and not lowering

Pride43
05-13-2013, 11:38 AM
Appreciate all posts. Looking to stay with Monroe's. Much oblige.