Rear Hub Assembly Removal Tips Needed [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rear Hub Assembly Removal Tips Needed

DaRkWaVe
05-06-2013, 06:44 AM
I am near the 200,000 mile mark and I have had a spare set of rear hubs I've been meaning to install....the only problem is I can't seem to break the old hubs free. I have removed all the bolts, I just can't beat the damned things free. I have smacked the back of them as hard as they will allow without cracking, which one of them did anyway. I have used a half of a can of PB Blaster. Any hints? My next step I suppose is to heat them up, but I want to avoid that, if possible. Thanks.

AaronGTR
05-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Air chisels do wonders. If you don't have access to one, you can try a normal chisel or something else. When I did mine, I was able to get one corner a little loose so that I could get a large screwdriver wedged in there, then I just worked my way back hammering and prying it out a little all the way around until it popped loose. It can take a bit. It's two pieces of aluminum and they tend to oxidize and get stuck together. Sometimes heat is the only way, because making them expand will break the bond that the oxidation has formed.

DaRkWaVe
05-07-2013, 06:06 AM
Thanks for the info. I just needed to hear from someone who has gone through the process successfully. I'll give it another go tomorrow night, but I'm going to snag a torch just in case.

AaronGTR
05-07-2013, 05:15 PM
After you get it out, go around the inside of the upright with a wire wheel in a drill, or at least a little sand paper or something, to clean out the corrosion. That will make the new ones go in nice and easy.