starving for fuel at wide open throttle?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : starving for fuel at wide open throttle??

sugar ray
05-08-2013, 03:41 AM
as the title says. Its a 02 Grand-Am. 3.4 Automatic. Low miles and runs great. took it for a trip this week. went to pass a slow mover so pinned the pedal to the floor (wide open throttle) that's when it began to act up. almost like it was starving for fuel and pulling back.

I pulled over and turned the engine off for a few minutes then carried on. The problem went away for about 20 minutes driving time as i tested wide open throttle along the way then suddenly the problem returned? turning the vehicle off solves the problem for a while. it runs perfectly as long as you aren't using WOT. The car is never driven hard so the rare time im at WOT it will be to pass someone.

There is NO SES light so I assume no OBD2 codes will be found but will scan tomorrow anyways. I ran the fuel tank bone dry and filled up on ethonal free chevron supreme plus 94 octane on the off chance that my previous tank of fuel was a dud. Fresh higher octane fuel didn't help. I have since replaced the aging fuel filter and will see if i can regenerate the problem. hopefully a plugged filter will be the issue??

if not......anyone have a guess?? bad MAF or TPS?? wouldn't one of those throw a code?? not 100% convinced the pump is the issue

AaronGTR
05-08-2013, 08:11 AM
could be the cat starting to get clogged and choking power as well. Eventually that would result in a misfire though as well.

jackal2000
05-08-2013, 09:15 AM
Clean the MAF?

MAC the KNIFE
05-08-2013, 01:27 PM
i do know what feeling you mean by "starving for fuel"
when it happened to me, i had a k&n airfilter that was filthy and was also getting soaked by the mist made by following highway traffic after rain. the engine was ok everywhere EXCEPT w-o-t.
I think the MAF was getting wet.
cleaning the MAF sensor, and the k/n filter solved the problem!

sugar ray
05-08-2013, 04:52 PM
thanks for the suggestions gents. will take all considerations and post my results

Hanauer51
05-08-2013, 11:44 PM
could be the cat starting to get clogged and choking power as well. Eventually that would result in a misfire though as well.

x2 had the same problem on the highway one day and it threw me no codes. Ended up being a clogged cat..

sugar ray
05-15-2013, 11:55 PM
BINGO!! A cheap fix (love when that happens)

Wasn't sold on a clogged cat only because I replaced the cat less then 2 years ago.
I cleaned the MAF and changed the fuel filter which did NOT solve the issue. Thanks "Mac the Knife" :applause:

It was the damn air filter. As soon as I looked at it I just knew. It was plugged with dozens of river moths (bad around my neck of the woods) not to mention leaves, dirt etc......

So i guess it wasn't starving for fuel at WOT. It was starving for air which makes total sense. Thanks again everyone. These forums have helped me solve issues when the G/A acts up

bricooper78
05-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Well that's cool you got it, and cleaning that MAF will do a lot of good with a clean air filter lol

glad you're up and running again

Greasemonkey51
05-21-2013, 05:45 PM
edit