run rich help. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : run rich help.

sleepyalero
05-11-2013, 11:08 PM
read through this, tell me what you think. car or gauge?

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37106

HOYS
05-12-2013, 01:47 AM
btw higher numbers is leaner, lower numbers is richer.

sleepyalero
05-12-2013, 01:53 AM
oh well damn, i mean lean lol

AleroB888
05-12-2013, 03:30 AM
Then it's definitely the car

sleepyalero
05-12-2013, 04:11 AM
Well If so I just don't understand, what would make it run completely fine for 10-15 miles then start running lean?

AleroB888
05-12-2013, 04:18 AM
sometimes that's normal for brief intervals

sleepyalero
05-12-2013, 12:05 PM
interesting... well now i just gotta figure out how to fix this.

AaronGTR
05-12-2013, 06:30 PM
So, what does it mean when you say the car is running "starch"? lol

I think you mean "stoich" as in stoichiometric, or a perfect 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio.
For starters, no you do not need a bigger MAF, especially not with your mods, and no you can't just put one in and run it. To run a bigger MAF you have to have the computer flashed with the table for that MAF sensor or it won't run properly. That's why it didn't work when you tried it before. And btw, that guy you talked to at autozone is a freaking idiot and had NO idea what he was talking about. Do not ask guys at parts stores for tuning advice. They are parts pushers, not tuners.

Also as Colin stated, higher number AFR is lean, lower number is rich. So are you running rich or lean? And when does it does this? Just cruising around at low throttle, or only at WOT? We can't really tell you anything without more specific info.

It's normal for a car not to stay at a perfect 14.7 when you are cruising around. It will bounce around from mid 14's to mid 15's. It doesn't go into PE mode (power enrichment), where it commands a richer AFR and stops adjusting fuel using the O2 sensor, until 70% throttle or above. Stock base PE AFR is 13.4:1, then there are modifiers like the PE rpm vs time table that lower the commanded AFR based on how long you are in PE mode. IE doing a long WOT pull like at the drag strip.

If you are going full throttle and the AFR is going higher than 13.4, then there is a problem.

mfuller
05-12-2013, 08:16 PM
I still think you screwed something up by hacking the O2 sensor harness.
It would explain why the car runs okay at wide-open throttle because at WOT the car uses open loop tables rather than feedback from the O2 sensor.

sleepyalero
05-12-2013, 10:02 PM
aaron, it LEANS out, sorry didnt mean rich. also at 65mph-75mph with cruise. or without. anything before or after its fine. car runs lower then 13.4 at wot.

matt, thats my thought as well kind of, i got a o2 extender from casper, going to return the universal, (hopefully) and get a reg o2, and run the extension, then see what happens.

AaronGTR
05-12-2013, 11:47 PM
Yeah, if you are running lean at cruise but fine at WOT, a messed up O2 sensor would explain that. Fix any issues with the harness, replace sensor if needed, and see if that fixes the issue.

sleepyalero
05-13-2013, 02:45 AM
perfect, i will replace the o2 in the morning and test it. will report back in the morning, thanks for the info, hope this fixes it.

HOYS
05-13-2013, 02:47 AM
With your car being converted to a 6-speed who really knows what is going on.

sleepyalero
05-13-2013, 04:29 AM
hahaha it runs great, dont hate!

never did this till the recent o2 swap.

HOYS
05-13-2013, 06:29 AM
hahaha it runs great, dont hate!

never did this till the recent o2 swap.

Not hating just stating that it is a possibility.

sleepyalero
05-13-2013, 07:14 AM
eh, i doubt it, ive had the aem gauge in before/after the swap was done, it ran fine till just recently. doubt the swap would be a cause.

sleepyalero
05-13-2013, 09:57 AM
im here to update. the problem is fixed!!! went to autozone, bought a normal bosch o2 sensor, removed the old bosch universal o2 i had in there parking lot, installed new o2 with a casper electronics 6" extension plug for it so it would reach the plug at top of motor, (only reason i bought the universal cause of longer wire so it reached) went on a oh... 25-30 mile drive cruise set at 65mph, didnt go lean the whole drive. thank you everyone, glad this problem is finally solved! i can finally sleep at night knowing the car is in good running order. lol

AleroB888
05-13-2013, 12:33 PM
im here to update. the problem is fixed!!! went to autozone, bought a normal bosch o2 sensor, removed the old bosch universal o2 i had in there parking lot, installed new o2 with a casper electronics 6" extension plug for it so it would reach the plug at top of motor, (only reason i bought the universal cause of longer wire so it reached) went on a oh... 25-30 mile drive cruise set at 65mph, didnt go lean the whole drive. thank you everyone, glad this problem is finally solved! i can finally sleep at night knowing the car is in good running order. lol

I use the Bosch stock equivalent on the track car, works well enough. You'll get differing results depending on what exhaust mods you have.

sleepyalero
05-13-2013, 12:52 PM
I use the Bosch stock equivalent on the track car, works well enough. You'll get differing results depending on what exhaust mods you have.

yeah its running pretty normal, exhaust mods are, pacesetter headers, egr delete, no cat custom DP, pacesetter cat back. :)