99 Grand Am GT Bucking/stalling until ABS light [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 99 Grand Am GT Bucking/stalling until ABS light

x_orange90_x
05-13-2013, 04:52 AM
Hello everyone, I'm back and I am having trouble again :(

Recently my car has started some very scary and strange behavior related to the ABS system. After starting the car and taking off, I hear a knocking sound from the wheel area that continues until the ABS and Brake light come on. While knocking, the car is bucking and kicking, very sluggish, and has even stalled completely a couple of times. It will buck and kick until the ABS and Brake light turn on, then the car runs smooth and normal all the way home. It has made the knocking sound and kicked on the lights ever since I bought it, but never has it bucked or jerked or any of this. Also in the past the knock sound (I believe the ABS cylinders?) would one knock 4 or 5 times before stopping and turning on the lights. Now it will continue knocking for as long as a minute while bucking and such, but then the lights come on and it runs smooth.

I'm very concerned about this as this is my wife's car and the problem needs to be addressed asap. Where do I start? What would cause this? I'm thinking a wheel speed sensor messing with the ABS and computer, maybe?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

sleepyalero
05-13-2013, 04:55 AM
i say check axles and hub. other then that, i dont know...

x_orange90_x
05-13-2013, 05:19 AM
Thanks for your reply! What should I check them for? The physical structure and movement of them, or the ABS wire harnesses? I have contact cleaner if that helps anything.

2000 GT Coupe
05-13-2013, 05:25 AM
What it sounds like to me.

The bucking and kicking is the abs computer trying to activate the abs system when the lights come on the system has shut down therefore the bucking quits.

Your speed sensor is part of the wheel bearing however if you dont have the trac light plus the service vehicle soon light and the abs all on your sensor is probably good so have the bearing checked just for peace of mind and look into things like the caliper sticking and or bad abs pump.

x_orange90_x
05-13-2013, 05:42 AM
I figured it was the ABS causing the bucking. The Brake, ABS, and SES light are always on, but the Trac light is not. The Low Trac light comes on while it bucks, but goes off after it stops. Also I will intermittently get Trac Off come on and stays on until you restart the car, but its pretty rare that this happens.

I will check for slop in the bearings, and maybe clean the sensor plugs with contact cleaner while I'm down there. I hope its a simple fix :S

x_orange90_x
05-14-2013, 04:10 AM
Well I jacked it up last night and went down under to clean the sensor plugs. I put the car in neutral and spun the wheels to hear the bearings spin. Both sides make a rubbing sort of sound, like unzipping a tent door. However, when spinning the drivers side wheel with the key on and car in neutral, I can hear the knocking sound and the abs pump kick on. When doing the same to the passenger side I do not hear any knocks or pump. This indicates the drivers side bearing is bad, correct?

I have ordered the part for pickup today, I just want to be sure it goes on the correct side. And from what I can feel at 10 & 4, there is some slop in the drivers side.

x_orange90_x
05-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Can someone verify that I am correct in thinking the drivers side is the one that's bad? Or is it not normal that the passenger side doesn't make the pump and knock sounds?

bricooper78
05-14-2013, 03:53 PM
Seeings how you got it only on the driver side, I'd agree with ya, for the sake of argument lol

The abs sensor is probably the problem, but they're integrated and IDK that you can actually replace the sensor alone, don't remember anyone doing it, anyway, and I could very well be wrong

carsarecool
05-14-2013, 09:23 PM
What it sounds like to me.

The bucking and kicking is the abs computer trying to activate the abs system when the lights come on the system has shut down therefore the bucking quits.

Your speed sensor is part of the wheel bearing however if you dont have the trac light plus the service vehicle soon light and the abs all on your sensor is probably good so have the bearing checked just for peace of mind and look into things like the caliper sticking and or bad abs pump.

Yep, the car running "smooth and normal" like the OP said is the ABS system turning off entirely, and not interfering with normal driving. Also, I thought any combo of the lights meant bad bearings? i.e. SVS, Trac Off, ABS, and/or Low Trac when its not really low traction

DaRkWaVe
05-15-2013, 12:30 AM
I once replaced my driver's side hub and bearing assembly because I was getting the ABS/ Trac lights every time I pulled up a driveway and put it in reverse to back down. When I hit the brakes during the process my ABS would pump and anger me.

Well it wasn't the ABS sensor in the hub assembly at all, it was just corrosion in the sensor wire connection from getting wet. Somehow water got inside the black protective sheath that is wrapped around the wires (not the black flex tube). When I stripped everything down, there was water and clay inside the whole length of the ABS sensor wire up to the connector, which had blue and white corrosion on the two contact/connector pins. I ended up cutting off the male and female plug ends and spliced a length of wire in place. No more problems.

Long story short, check the sensor plugs for corrosion before replacing the hub assembly.

x_orange90_x
05-15-2013, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the replies! I have heard about the corrosion inside the wires before, I'm hoping that's not it because I think it would be a PITA to fix that. Anyway, the drivers side wheel feels sloppy so I think a hub change is in order anyway. I've thought the car needed inner tie rods but I guess I will see what difference the bearing makes in that before doing them.

On a side note, I have a water leak somewhere that is filling my trunk with water :( the seals on the lid and trunk look ok, but that probably doesn't mean a whole lot. Its a 4 door with a sunroof, and ideas where to start looking?

I am planning on the hub change this evening, I will report back my results after the test drive.

x_orange90_x
05-16-2013, 04:10 AM
Well I got the new hub on last night. Everything went smooth until putting the spindle nut back on. :( it was one of those 4 piece nuts. The sockets I rented from AAP have a beveled edge on them so they couldn't grab the small nuts well enough to tighten without slipping. So after having my buddy come out with his good set, got it all back together.

However the original problems are still there, so for now I pulled the ABS fuse and will figure it out another day. At least it's got a new hub though ;)