Warped Block? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Warped Block?

ToddW65
05-21-2013, 12:39 PM
My 04 GT 3.4 was using coolant and running a little hot so I did a LIM gasket change. The problem was still there and on the test drive the car overheated big time. Tore it back apart and took off the heads. The head gaskets practically fell apart when I pulled them off. Sent the heads out to be checked and was told that both were warped and one was cracked...both beyond repair.

On to my question...I was thinking about some rebuilt heads. But is the block deck likely to be warped?

Thanks,
Todd

mfuller
05-21-2013, 01:29 PM
Aluminum will warp much more easily than cast iron, but it is not outside of the realm of possibility for the block deck to be slightly warped also. Only a machinist's straight edge and a set of feeler gauges will tell you for sure.
Fairly unlikely that the block deck is warped beyond tolerance; I don't recall what the spec is for being "in tolerance". Might only be a few thousandths.

ToddW65
05-21-2013, 01:48 PM
Thanks. I found this (http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp_1007_cylinder_head_distortion_check/) link with the how-to so that's what I'll do.

Thanks again,
Todd

AaronGTR
05-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Yeah, it's highly unlikely that there is any damage to the block. It is pretty robust. And pulling it out to have the deck machined would be expensive and time consuming. A set of replacement heads and new gaskets should solve your problem.

unchained_01
05-21-2013, 04:55 PM
Todd if you need a new set of heads. PM. I know a business that ship same day and has an eBay store. I use them all the time And free shipping too.

Slinky
05-21-2013, 05:23 PM
It would probably take enough heat to actually melt the aluminum heads to warp the block, Cast-iron is a dead metal meaning it hardly ever changes with temperature..