Car shut off [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car shut off

Greasemonkey51
05-21-2013, 05:17 PM
OKay I have a 02 ga se 3.4. See if you guys can help me.. just changed the cat like 2 or 3 yrs ago. wife was driving car coming up alittle hill lost power shut off. She left it sit for a couple of mins started right back up. So when she got home(couple blocks away) I went over it made sure nothing was loose or anything. Air filter didn't look to bad MAF was in pretty good shape no build up or anything. Now yesterday I did pull a plug and and the Part the spark hits (forget the name) has a indentation were the sparks hits. they look worn. Question is would the spark plugs cause it to shut of and miss when hitting the gas (as in punching it off and on). And seems lately is been taking alittle longer to start also. thanks for any help you guys can give..No lights are on except the security light and change oil. that just came on next on the list though to get done.

bricooper78
05-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Did you check the gap? If they've worn down to the point they have a dent, I'd think they're not gapped correctly, at best. And yea, bad plugs can cause you problems in startup/acceleration.

Did you check the wire at all? Did it look burnt, charred, cracked up? Or was it still good and supple?

Greasemonkey51
05-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Did you check the gap? If they've worn down to the point they have a dent, I'd think they're not gapped correctly, at best. And yea, bad plugs can cause you problems in startup/acceleration.

Did you check the wire at all? Did it look burnt, charred, cracked up? Or was it still good and supple?

ok I just installed new plugs wires look good everything went good in and out. But it still missing under acceleration. not adle idle smooth idle would a dirty throttke body cause this? again thx helping

bricooper78
05-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Idle is okay, but it's missing under load? Have you tested fuel pressure?

Greasemonkey51
05-21-2013, 06:36 PM
Idle is okay, but it's missing under load? Have you tested fuel pressure?

no I have not got off work bam she calls. Have not had a chance guess should change the fuel filter while this is going on. just really low on cash just trying to figure it out without spending a lot of money. But the ideas are helping Alot thx again..

Also do I have to take the throttle body off to clean it and is there a gasket to replace if I do..

bricooper78
05-21-2013, 06:59 PM
check pressure first, think loan a tool should cover the gauge

Greasemonkey51
05-21-2013, 07:05 PM
check pressure first, think loan a tool should cover the gauge

K see what I can do tomorrow never used one this should be fun.. So what pressure am I looking at and if its low bad pump right.

bricooper78
05-21-2013, 07:14 PM
There is a schrader valve on the passenger end of the fuel rail, looks like the valve you put air in your tires with, you screw the gauge on there, and then turn on the car, and check it.

I believe you're wanting 50+ on the pressure to show it's getting enough, and you check at key on, and while running IIRC, do a search on pressure on here, there were a couple good threads on it over the years, just been a while since I've read them.

If it's low, then it's poor pressure, order yourself a filter, because while you're there, there is literally no reason not to change the filter, the fuel pump hooks to the filter lol

Greasemonkey51
05-21-2013, 07:17 PM
There is a schrader valve on the passenger end of the fuel rail, looks like the valve you put air in your tires with, you screw the gauge on there, and then turn on the car, and check it.

I believe you're wanting 50+ on the pressure to show it's getting enough, and you check at key on, and while running IIRC, do a search on pressure on here, there were a couple good threads on it over the years, just been a while since I've read them.

If it's low, then it's poor pressure, order yourself a filter, because while you're there, there is literally no reason not to change the filter, the fuel pump hooks to the filter lol

K let me guest the stupid filter is in the tank with the pump.. What a dumb design..And thx again Ill do that and let you know what I find..

MAC the KNIFE
05-21-2013, 07:18 PM
throttle body isn't going to be your problem from your description. the only thing that could foul up in the throttle body would be the IAC valve (idle air control) and that obviously only messes with the car's idle. but just so you know, i've had the TB off a number of times over the years, and i usually re-use the same gasket. just watch it when you pull the TB off, that the gasket doesn't rip, or stretch. wipe it clean before you reuse.

an aerosol can of MAF sensor cleaner is only 5 bux, so it can't hurt, although i don't think that's your problem either.

iirc, the oem fuel line filter was about 20 bux, and didn't take 20 minutes to change. i did mine at 100k miles. it could have went further, but it was noticeably restricted.

hope some of this helps you!

Greasemonkey51
05-21-2013, 07:28 PM
throttle body isn't going to be your problem from your description. the only thing that could foul up in the throttle body would be the IAC valve (idle air control) and that obviously only messes with the car's idle. but just so you know, i've had the TB off a number of times over the years, and i usually re-use the same gasket. just watch it when you pull the TB off, that the gasket doesn't rip, or stretch. wipe it clean before you reuse.

an aerosol can of MAF sensor cleaner is only 5 bux, so it can't hurt, although i don't think that's your problem either.

iirc, the oem fuel line filter was about 20 bux, and didn't take 20 minutes to change. i did mine at 100k miles. it could have went further, but it was noticeably restricted.

hope some of this helps you!

yes it does thanks, any and all pointers help..

bricooper78
05-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Yea, the filter is under the passenger seat basically. Its just in front of the "rear axle" on the car, just have to be under the car to reach it. Depressurize the system first so it doesn't give you a nasty bath!

Greasemonkey51
05-21-2013, 07:54 PM
Yea, the filter is under the passenger seat basically. Its just in front of the "rear axle" on the car, just have to be under the car to reach it. Depressurize the system first so it doesn't give you a nasty bath!

oh ok seems pretty easy I like that kind lol..

bricooper78
05-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Yea, one end unclips, there is a tool for it, but there is also the screwdriver/pray method lol

And I have a 20mm, maybe 22mm ish end wrench hanging over the work bench that I believe may have been purchased for that job, but I don't remember 100% on that

Greasemonkey51
05-21-2013, 08:01 PM
Yea, one end unclips, there is a tool for it, but there is also the screwdriver/pray method lol

And I have a 20mm, maybe 22mm ish end wrench hanging over the work bench that I believe may have been purchased for that job, but I don't remember 100% on that

please tell me I really don't need the tool I can use something else

bricooper78
05-21-2013, 08:12 PM
that would be the screwdriver/pray method lol

It's a plastic ring and its very easy to screw it up and break it. But, it can be done with screwdriver and needlenose pliers I think. I broke mine the first time, then new pump and filter again within10K miles, so ya know... the right tool will be used the next time. By the time you are real slow with it, and break it, and then find a ride to replace it, assuming they have the part, you've saved time and money just using the right tool.

That advice coming from someone who has a LONG history of "using a tool for other than its intended purpose" lol I've been written up a few times for it ;)

Greasemonkey51
05-21-2013, 08:15 PM
that would be the screwdriver/pray method lol

It's a plastic ring and its very easy to screw it up and break it. But, it can be done with screwdriver and needlenose pliers I think. I broke mine the first time, then new pump and filter again within10K miles, so ya know... the right tool will be used the next time. By the time you are real slow with it, and break it, and then find a ride to replace it, assuming they have the part, you've saved time and money just using the right tool.

That advice coming from someone who has a LONG history of "using a tool for other than its intended purpose" lol I've been written up a few times for it ;)

lol Alright fine get the tool got it.. Miss the days a screw driver and a hammer all you need to fix a car lol...

bricooper78
05-21-2013, 08:18 PM
The problem is it gets brittle from it being plastic, it's just a clip, but it breaks if you don't get even pressure all the way around it, I broke the ring part and really could have reused it, but being fuel, I didn't want to chance it, and I think ended up taking it to a dealer to get that clip, because I couldn't get one aftermarket, I think...

But just be slow and easy with it, don't underestimate how flimsy it is, and you may be ok

Greasemonkey51
05-22-2013, 05:04 AM
Ok new problem missing really bad and temp climbs above the norm. Like 240ish. really think its the cat taking to the garage just don't have the resources to fix myself.
oh yeah I forgot to mention the SES light flashing and auto parts store around here doesn't read that code..

[ChaosweaveR]
05-22-2013, 07:05 AM
They can read the SES light while it flashes. The parts store is just covering their asses because flashing SES means a very bad issue that can cause engine damage is occuring.

The temp issue could be because of a thermostat, bad water pump, air in the system or a combination of the three. A clogged radiator and/or heater core could be an issue as well.

When was the last time you did a coolant flush?

Greasemonkey51
05-22-2013, 07:58 AM
;1215383']They can read the SES light while it flashes. The parts store is just covering their asses because flashing SES means a very bad issue that can cause engine damage is occuring.

The temp issue could be because of a thermostat, bad water pump, air in the system or a combination of the three. A clogged radiator and/or heater core could be an issue as well.

When was the last time you did a coolant flush?

just till yesterday the SES wouldn't stay on. The high temp just started yesterday as well I've had the coolant open its pretty good water pump just replace when I got the car 6 or 7 yrs ago. Just seemed odd all this came up when it started to run like crap. Gas mileage dropped waaay down. that's why I took to the garage the guessing game is over rated. Just to wait and see what they say..the waiting is killing me.

Greasemonkey51
05-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Ok update turn out it was the cat (which is bull **** only 6yrs old) and a couple of bad spark plug wires. Wanna thank everybody for the check this and check that. Thanks again guys ..

Hanauer51
05-22-2013, 10:29 PM
Ok update turn out it was the cat (which is bull **** only 6yrs old) and a couple of bad spark plug wires. Wanna thank everybody for the check this and check that. Thanks again guys ..

yeah that happens a lot with these cars... my cat when bad 2 years ago. Just be careful because if you don't get the OEM cat which IIRC its about $750ish dollars. I went non OEM ($150) I've had one check engine light, because of the non OEM cat. Maybe someone can explain this better but, iirc the non-OEM cats don't heat up enough or fast enough for that matter... so it throws a code for cat deficiency. Which really is no big deal, especially if you know its newer. Just gotta keep an eye and ear out when its starting to clog.

[ChaosweaveR]
05-22-2013, 10:31 PM
A grand am with a clogged cat?

It's like bread and butter.

Hanauer51
05-22-2013, 10:40 PM
;1215495']A grand am with a clogged cat?

It's like bread and butter.

:thumbs: