Fuel Pressure regulator? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pressure regulator?

04GaGT1981
05-27-2013, 07:51 PM
took her on a 15-20 mi a way ride, no issues. ran like a watch, got home shut it off for about 10 mins then went to move her.

wont start turn it off n wait. on. yea fuel pumps on.

now i know you shouldnt have to pump one of these, but that got her to turn over.

exhaust smelled horrible, hooked on a good snap on scanner. lots of misfiring. the count was highest in 1 and decreased on the way to 5, only 6 was right.

plugged cat cause it to skip that bad? my buddy googled it with his phone and came up with the pressure regulator.

search myself now i see bad cat. but i wouldnt think so since it ran perfect all day?

the few answers ive asked for up here were right. so since the regulator is a bit cheaper and easier to get to....start there?

bricooper78
05-27-2013, 08:19 PM
I'd start by pulling plugs and see what they look like, if they're wet, that would tell you you're way too rich, and yes, that would be FPR, but misfires can be caused by more than a couple of issues.
Check the MAF sensor, make sure it didn't get unplugged somehow, or a plug wire, there again, pulling the plugs should help make that determination.

that's where I'd start, at least pull the front 3, see what they're showing.

O1GAGT
05-27-2013, 08:41 PM
Does this issue happen only after the car is warmed up and you try to start it when the engine is still warm?

04GaGT1981
05-28-2013, 05:45 AM
01 GAGT......i couldnt tell you yet honestly as she has only done this once so far, its been sitting over night so i could give her a try and see what she wants to do. she did run like a top though, no smells, no bad signs, no rough idle NOTHING. then after sitting like 10 mins didnt want to even start. then with prodding she ran, but VERY unhappy about it.

i had JUST got done with a drive so she was warm when this went down.

BRI, the MAFS and the like were hooked up. my friend/neighbor has a REALLY good snap on scanner. VERY detailed, even knew how much gas the car had. the only codes it threw out was a large EVAP leak. ( which i did find the evap leak, that lil plastic tube coming off the intake broke) but i dont see how an evap leak would cause this much trouble. so i guess ill check the plugs and see what they look like, i did a full tune up end of last summer. so the plugs n wires arent that old.

so ill go try n kick her over now that shes been sitting all night. then see where i am when the dust settles

04GaGT1981
05-28-2013, 06:02 AM
yea she cranked up. still sounds horrible, i did notice that she did try to stay running atleast where last night she didnt wanna run at all. less prodding to get started, crank....tap the gas she starts ANY attempt to increase rpm and she stumbles bad. im gonna have to check things one at a time and slowly, gotta work around my 3 year old so it could be slow going

im gonna pull a front plug and see. the scan tool said # 1 was misfiring most slightly decreasing each cyl down to #6 which was the ONLY cyl firing right.

well the FP Reg. is fairly cheap, but im gonna have to get a throttle body gasket too as it looks like im not gonna be able to go around it.

oh. and MAYBE prod her to run a little more so i can see if the cats getting super hot. sadly i dont have a temp probe so thats a guess.

04GaGT1981
05-28-2013, 06:42 AM
yup. wet fouling on the front 3 cyl

O1GAGT
05-28-2013, 10:22 AM
From the sounds of it, you may have a faulty injector.

04GaGT1981
05-28-2013, 11:13 AM
its was the fuel pressure regulator. i just swapped it out and shes purrin like a kitty again :)

thanks for the tech help anyway. i got lucky and didnt rip the throttle body gasket....cap didnt have any in stock, but i did the thermostat recently so the gasket was still very healthy.

shes runnin strong again, all that matters to me

now just to close up the evap leak and she'll be totally happy again

bricooper78
05-28-2013, 06:53 PM
Glad thats all it was, and kudos for the approach, that's what I do, figure it's old and needs replaced anyway lol

04GaGT1981
05-29-2013, 05:43 AM
Ha, pretty true, ive replaced MANY a part just cause it looks old,

all i ask from my sweet lil GT is a little warning for once. im so glad with how reliable she has been.

guess i cant complain. she made it home before she packed it in.

only left me stuck out on the road once when her fuel pump packed it in. even then it was less than 5mi away so i got the tow home free

bricooper78
05-29-2013, 07:01 PM
True, my fuel pump died at 120K and I had put it up for winter storage, it just wouldn't refire after sitting for a few weeks. I think that was a luck shot lol

04GaGT1981
05-31-2013, 06:59 AM
wow, bri thats almost funny.......mine died about 125k. got one out of a low miled wreck. got the WHOLE assembly for $50 vs like 300 new. id prefer new but my budget doesnt so.

im still wondering why the hell the fuel pressure was affecting the brakes.....i STILL havent gotten SVS ABS n Trac since i swapped the pressure reg. i saw a thread on here about corroded wires, was gonna check my harness, but then when i did the Reg it hasnt come back.

not complaining, but am wondering why

bricooper78
05-31-2013, 07:23 AM
the only possible thing i would think of is the motor bogging lost vacuum to the brake booster and that triggered an brake problem in the computer. but that could be 100% wrong, i don't know.

i grabbed the oem replacement off of rockauto for just over 100 bucks, it was just under half price of what they charge in F.N.P.S. but it takes 3 days to get here, I have a truck, so it's not a big deal, but for a lot of people that wait is a deal killer.

04GaGT1981
06-04-2013, 06:53 AM
im not sure, i think ive got a bad wire. maybe some crud in a fitting.

it was gone for a good week, but now its coming back. if i start turning the wheel first the step on it to go then they go off,

well the good news tho, the evap leak is gone, so the check engine light isnt coming back

i mean the cars perfectly driveable with the SVS, trac, ABS combo, but i just dont like it, if something's wrong i HAVE to fix it (going almost OCD here LOL)

no dash lights make us both happy LOL, when i get a little free time im gonna check the connections and check the wires for any breaks/signs of corrosion

04GaGT1981
06-04-2013, 06:55 AM
oh also when i take the car to a self washing place and wash the wheels, the dash lights go away for a while too.

i was thinking the same about power loss, as it did sound like the motor was bogging a little. but now with the new pressure reg she doesnt sound like shes bogging but i get the dash lights anyway

bricooper78
06-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Get them wet and the lights go away, thats a new one lol

Electrical gremlins are so dang hard to find, but I think you're on the right track, it's about got to be a wire