Quality Radiator [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Quality Radiator

Kruzininla
05-29-2013, 01:25 PM
I am looking for a good quality aluminum radiator for my 2000 gt. Seems like all I am finding is oem plastic stuff, I only upgrade my car when the original parts fail or wear out. Anyone make a good 3 or 4 core out there? I know its not required for sufficient cooling, but ya know how that goes.... Thanks in advance.

mfuller
05-29-2013, 02:59 PM
Milzy makes a nice one, but I had to slightly modify it to fit.
Look at the attached photos; you will see where I had to notch the passenger-side end tank to allow room for the AC condenser high-pressure line.

Nick-G
05-29-2013, 05:06 PM
^ Milzy or a custom universal setup are the only options I'm aware of.

99ga
05-29-2013, 07:34 PM
Milzy makes a nice one, but I had to slightly modify it to fit.
Look at the attached photos; you will see where I had to notch the passenger-side end tank to allow room for the AC condenser high-pressure line.

Did you noticed any cooling improvement? Would your car run cooler with these radiators?

AaronGTR
05-29-2013, 10:14 PM
For a stock or even lightly modified grand am, I do not recommend a larger radiator. You will actually over cool it.

No one makes an all aluminum radiator though other than Milzy (which are made to order I believe) or getting a custom one made (which I did). They aren't cheap either. Figure 3-4 times the cost of a stocker. Nothing wrong with the stock radiator though for most peoples use.

mfuller
05-29-2013, 10:29 PM
^ This.
The factory cooling system isn't that bad. I mainly got mine for two reasons:

With my motor, I am generating a ton of heat. The upgraded radiator helps to keep temperatures more consistent, which is beneficial from a wear standpoint.
I still occasionally road race my car, and a 20 minute session of flogging the living snot out of the car places a very heavy burden on the cooling system.

The car may run a few degrees cooler, but that's not really the idea.

99ga
05-29-2013, 11:45 PM
the reason why im asking its because i've noticed that on very hot days my car runs about 200-220 F hot wich i believe it should be normal but the part that i dont like when it gets that hot is that it slightly looses power when accelerating...When its at 150-180 the car seems to respond alot quicker and i like it that way better.... I dont know if keeping it that cool would harm the engine?

Kruzininla
05-30-2013, 02:59 AM
Thanks For the replies... I will look into the Milzy or maybe even a custom radiator. Seems like the aftermarket kind of forgotten about the grand ams.. Ive bought this car new in 2000 and don't really remember much goodies for these cars.. Anyhow, Thanks again and for the photos of it tweaked a bit..

AaronGTR
05-30-2013, 07:24 AM
the reason why im asking its because i've noticed that on very hot days my car runs about 200-220 F hot wich i believe it should be normal but the part that i dont like when it gets that hot is that it slightly looses power when accelerating...When its at 150-180 the car seems to respond alot quicker and i like it that way better.... I dont know if keeping it that cool would harm the engine?

It's not supposed to run that cold. 150 is too cold to get proper clean combustion or to get the oil to proper temperature to reach optimum viscosity and burn off impurities that settle in the oil when it cools off. These engines are designed to run at 200+ for emissions and fuel mileage. They really shouldn't run under 180.

Thanks For the replies... I will look into the Milzy or maybe even a custom radiator. Seems like the aftermarket kind of forgotten about the grand ams.. Ive bought this car new in 2000 and don't really remember much goodies for these cars.. Anyhow, Thanks again and for the photos of it tweaked a bit..

The aftermarket didn't forget about us. They never knew we existed. The grand am isn't a performance car and other than a few niche suppliers, there was almost no one making any parts for them as far as engine modifications. Almost no one modifies them. For the small number of sales they'd get, it's not worth their time for a mainstream parts manufacturer to make us anything.

Nick-G
05-30-2013, 05:04 PM
For a stock or even lightly modified grand am, I do not recommend a larger radiator. You will actually over cool it.

No one makes an all aluminum radiator though other than Milzy (which are made to order I believe) or getting a custom one made (which I did). They aren't cheap either. Figure 3-4 times the cost of a stocker. Nothing wrong with the stock radiator though for most peoples use.

Agreed with it being overkill. My car hasn't been on the road yet but at idle with my cooling fans on my radiator doesn't even get warm.

DevilDog586
06-18-2013, 12:21 PM
Kruzininla, I'm just wondering what you decided to go with? And how it worked out? I'm kind of in the same boat. Have had the car since it had 7 miles on it and for a couple weeks my cars been running warmer than normal. Its always at 200 in the winter or summer, doesn't matter, but lately it's been around 215 and I really don't honestly like that. I just changed the head gaskets, improved design upper intake that's supposed to help dissipate heat better, super stat (opens 10 sooner than stock), improved design water pump and unfortunately I'm still running at 215.

blckgagt
06-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Kruzininla, I'm just wondering what you decided to go with? And how it worked out? I'm kind of in the same boat. Have had the car since it had 7 miles on it and for a couple weeks my cars been running warmer than normal. Its always at 200 in the winter or summer, doesn't matter, but lately it's been around 215 and I really don't honestly like that. I just changed the head gaskets, improved design upper intake that's supposed to help dissipate heat better, super stat (opens 10 sooner than stock), improved design water pump and unfortunately I'm still running at 215.

215 is not outside the norm for our engine. They are designed to run a bit hotter than what most people are accustomed to. I do not see any issue for your situation.

Kruzininla
06-18-2013, 09:25 PM

Devildog586, I went with a stock replacement radiator. May have just needed boiled out or whatever they do, and i didnt see having to go though the trouble of taking it out just for that, so I just bought a new one... I think i payed 117.00 for it..