And the GA is down again.. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : And the GA is down again..

PhantomLover007
06-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Tried to start the car after getting done w/ an appointment. No juice. Popped the hood and smelled smoke. Had someone try to give me a jump and they said they say smoke when I tried to crank it, so I let them crank while I looked sure enough.

Had smoke come from the bottom front passenger side, so I think it's my AC compressor, since it's the only thing that has been worked on on the car recently (evac and recharge).

;crap;crap

bricooper78
06-04-2013, 10:58 AM
If it weren't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck Matt. that blows.

PhantomLover007
06-04-2013, 12:02 PM
I'm saying man.

PhantomLover007
06-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Aaron says it might be the starter since it is close to the AC compressor...

PhantomLover007
06-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Starter solenoid switch. An the auto craft shop on base is close til Monday. Cost.... $600. Part is about $400... ;crap

AaronGTR
06-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Starter solenoid switch. An the auto craft shop on base is close til Monday. Cost.... $600. Part is about $400... ;crap

That sucks man. Well at least I pointed you in the right direction. You sure about what needs to be replaced? 'Cause I've never heard of a solenoid switch. I've heard of the starter solenoid... you can get one of those for $20-40, and you can get an entire starter assembly for $80-140 with the solenoid on it. $400 sounds like a rip off to me. No way it should be that expensive.

Go check out rock auto. The have brand new Remy unit (REMY 96205) for $101. I have one of their alternators and it's been working great, and has a lifetime warranty. :thumbs:

sugar ray
06-26-2013, 03:16 AM
you 100% sure about that switch? sounds real steep to me and I agree with aaron. only solenoid should be the one on the starter which is cheap.

from what you describe, here is what I think may be your issue. I had a similar issue with a 95 Mystique. A car I still use as a winter beater. One day out of the blue, it too would not crank or start. Yet it would smoke and smell when attempting to do so. It ended up being a seized air conditioner compressor.If the compressor is seized your motor will not turn over. The smoke and smell was the belt trying to turn but just being chewed up.

with the age of the car and cost to fix it was not worth it. However, with that model I was able to bypass the compressor all together by purchasing the belt made for models that had NO A/C. My seized compressor remained in the car but had no use or function. Depending on how and where the compressor is set up on your car you may be able to do the same. They also make aftermarket bypass kits to bypass seized AC compressors. You will no longer have air but atleast you will have a motor that can turn over.

just food for thought

PhantomLover007
06-26-2013, 07:14 AM
Yeah. Well I took it to the stealership.. That's why it cost so much... Remind me to never do that again.... ;crap

HOYS
06-26-2013, 11:54 PM
With a few simple tools you can fix it 'yer self! Starters are 30 min jobs tops.

PhantomLover007
06-27-2013, 07:52 AM
Yeah. I had no way of completely getting under it except my jack. All of my stuff is still in storage in Atlanta (ramps, stands, etc). And since the auto craft shop was closed... I had to do something...

geldartb
06-27-2013, 02:31 PM
did you at least get the whole starter for that price..

PhantomLover007
06-27-2013, 02:33 PM
Yeah.