Help me with my rack [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my rack

young gun
06-06-2013, 05:05 PM
I have a bad inner and outer tie rod. I was told by the mechanic when they get a bad inner one the recommend replacement of the whole rack and pinion. I saw on a regal forum or some crap that someone else had suggested this.

What is your thoughts? have you done this? I haven't looked it up yet but if you have experience was it a pita?

kzulfic
06-06-2013, 05:24 PM
You can replace the inner tie rod, I've heard its recommended that you replace the rack, but you don't need to. It's not a hard job but you will need a specific tool, lisle tool I belive It's called, not sure though.

AaronGTR
06-06-2013, 05:50 PM
um, title of this thread brings your manhood into question... lol

I don't have any personal experience with this, but I can see where they might recommend that. Probably has something to do with the inner rod going through seals into the the steering rack or something. There might be a chance that replacing the inners could make the seals looser or damage them during replacement or something. Not sure how common that might be. It's probably one of those cases were it's possible to just replace the inners and not the whole rack, and cheaper that way, but it may be more dependable and better in the long run to replace the whole thing if you have the $ to do it at the time.

young gun
06-06-2013, 10:36 PM
um, title of this thread brings your manhood into question... lol

aw shucks I meant to put help me with my girl's rack.....

anywhos I checked out rock auto and I had some questions... Naturally I want the best but even the best is a reman and it is over $250 more then the "2nd best" are they all reman??

I'm thinking it would be easier to get a duralast rack and pinion from my autozone so I don't have to ship mine back and warrenties if needed would also be easy.

HOYS
06-07-2013, 12:09 AM
They are almost all reman unless you want to pay some big bucks for an OE one. Nothing wrong with rebuilt...hell just rebuild your own!

sleepyalero
06-07-2013, 02:18 AM
a bra helps in most rack probrems.