Water pooling on cabin floor [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Water pooling on cabin floor

hyperdrive360
06-09-2013, 08:16 PM
Since all the rain in the last few months i've been having an enormous amount of water pooling on the floor of the car. Now this has never been a problem untill I started parking my car outside of the garage. After searching the car for common grand am leak points. I found an interesting place where the water was coming in, the doors. Now i'm not talking about the weatherstripping or the window not sealing correctly to the frame, no i'm talking about the vapor barrier/deflector on the inside of the doors. Did some testing with a water pitcher and behold the problem was found. The door inserts on my car have never been removed since I bought it brand new (rare I know), so I never knew how poorly my car was put together the rear driver door was missing a plastic barrier/deflector completely. The fact being, the polyurethane black adhesive sealant has pealed away from the door metal causing water to just pass on through, this was the same for all four doors (the rear driver door obviously because it had no plastic or even traces of plastic ever being there). I found a great item to fix the problem its called "Permatex Black RTV silicone" it's almost the same as the sealant used on the doors. I thought this would be good to share with some people as it took me forever to find the source of the leak and the door plastic vapor barrier/deflector was not even considered when I started to look for the source.

Thanks for reading
hyperdrive360

Here's a poorly taken video of the problem if you so desire to see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouKRBWMyUrY&feature=youtu.be

Starglow
06-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Maybe your car was built on a Monday or Friday. 8-)

What I always do is take a hair dryer and heat the sealer while rolling it down with a small wooden roller which makes a nice tight seal.

hyperdrive360
06-09-2013, 10:32 PM
Maybe your car was built on a Monday or Friday. 8-)

What I always do is take a hair dryer and heat the sealer while rolling it down with a small wooden roller which makes a nice tight seal.

haha, yeah that's what alot of my friends have been saying, considering how much of an issue this car has been, I love my GA but I also hate it at times.

bricooper78
06-10-2013, 08:49 AM
That RTV is what I used to glue down a replacement rear window in an old Beretta I had. is indeed good stuff!

That was one helluva leak man, no wonder you had a swimming pool/car.

pongagt
06-18-2013, 11:03 PM
Nice video
I have my driver's side door panel off and i'm keeping a eye out for leaks while i am waiting for a roll of butyl rubber to come in. The carpet was soaked under my driver's seat. I also had puddles under both sides of the rear seat so i have that pulled watching for leaks. It doesn't leak going through the car wash and i didn't see any leaks the last moderate rain we had.

It's nice to see some 99's hanging in there.

hyperdrive360
06-20-2013, 08:23 PM
Nice video
I have my driver's side door panel off and i'm keeping a eye out for leaks while i am waiting for a roll of butyl rubber to come in. The carpet was soaked under my driver's seat. I also had puddles under both sides of the rear seat so i have that pulled watching for leaks. It doesn't leak going through the car wash and i didn't see any leaks the last moderate rain we had.

It's nice to see some 99's hanging in there.

It's weird how it doesn't leak in the car wash or in the rain you mentioned. On the other hand after I sealed the deflectors in the doors it rained soon after and I still had a pool of water in the car, not as much as before though, but the seals didn't fail nor did the fresh air inlet for the aircon, i'm investigating this but it seems possible that the water is running from the firewall and through cave like metal cover that the transmission shifter is mounted, again this is just a theory as no other place is leaking. This is probably not the case for you. It's also possible (I had this problem as well as the deflector sealant ) that the plastic bezel for your front speakers are not sealing properly(pic below). Lemme know what you find out. A question for you, where did you buy the rubber from, I couldn't find it anywhere when I was looking for sealants for my door and settled for that RTV sealant.
And it is nice to know there are other 99s rolling around :gablack2:

pongagt
06-20-2013, 09:06 PM
I don't think my door speakers will leak since i coated the baffle with fiberglass resin and the whole thing is sealed with silicone. Someone i know who owns a shop ordered the butyl for me from one of his body shop suppliers. I'm not sure who makes the stuff he ordered. 3M makes something called window-weld but like all 3M stuff it is pretty expensive but i didn't think i needed 3M brand.

You could have a leak at the firewall. If your car is parked outside and at a angle at night try turning it around. Mine is at at least a 10 degree angle i would say so i'm sure the water could travel across the car. We haven't got anymore rain so i haven't seen a drop. I may just take it somewhere and squirt it down. I should check the body seems that are known to leak behind the tail lights.

Where are the air vents that are known to leak? I have seen pictures of them but i have no idea where they are on the car.

hyperdrive360
06-20-2013, 09:58 PM
I don't think my door speakers will leak since i coated the baffle with fiberglass resin and the whole thing is sealed with silicone. Someone i know who owns a shop ordered the butyl for me from one of his body shop suppliers. I'm not sure who makes the stuff he ordered. 3M makes something called window-weld but like all 3M stuff it is pretty expensive but i didn't think i needed 3M brand.

You could have a leak at the firewall. If your car is parked outside and at a angle at night try turning it around. Mine is at at least a 10 degree angle i would say so i'm sure the water could travel across the car. We haven't got anymore rain so i haven't seen a drop. I may just take it somewhere and squirt it down. I should check the body seems that are known to leak behind the tail lights.

Where are the air vents that are known to leak? I have seen pictures of them but i have no idea where they are on the car.

Well it's known that the fresh air inlet for the air conditioning will let water in under certain conditions. I had water coming through this place as well as the many other places I've mentioned in this thread. found out that the screened cut out in the cowl was letting water in when it was raining even though it's offset from the inlet, it was still letting water in, so i sealed that screened cutout and I haven't had water enter the inlet since. But other people have a problem where a piece of foam is missing from under the cowl and letting water run into the inlet. Another thing is that sometimes mice/ rats get up into the cowls from the drain holes and make their nests in it and cause a build up of water in the cowl and over flows into the inlet ( I haven't heard of this happening on a GA but it has happened on many of cars so its possible). Also if you do remove the cowl it breaks very very easy and it is a royal pain to get back in if you haven't had your windshield seals replaced in the last few years. The attached picture Red = the cut out in the cowl. White = the inlet under the cowl. Blue = the cowl .
Hopefully I gave you some more info than you've seen in the forums.

pongagt
06-21-2013, 06:57 PM
Well it's known that the fresh air inlet for the air conditioning will let water in under certain conditions. I had water coming through this place as well as the many other places I've mentioned in this thread. found out that the screened cut out in the cowl was letting water in when it was raining even though it's offset from the inlet, it was still letting water in, so i sealed that screened cutout and I haven't had water enter the inlet since. But other people have a problem where a piece of foam is missing from under the cowl and letting water run into the inlet. Another thing is that sometimes mice/ rats get up into the cowls from the drain holes and make their nests in it and cause a build up of water in the cowl and over flows into the inlet ( I haven't heard of this happening on a GA but it has happened on many of cars so its possible). Also if you do remove the cowl it breaks very very easy and it is a royal pain to get back in if you haven't had your windshield seals replaced in the last few years. The attached picture Red = the cut out in the cowl. White = the inlet under the cowl. Blue = the cowl .
Hopefully I gave you some more info than you've seen in the forums.

Thanks a lot for the picture. My windshield seals are original. I have never had the cowl off and i didn't have any idea what was under there. I watched a youtube video on the same problem on a 95 grand am. I'm thinking it is similar to the newer grand am.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd9X1R8pQOU
Considering the age of the car, i guess i should open it up and check it out. I have access to a parts car if i break the cowl.

hyperdrive360
06-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Thanks a lot for the picture. My windshield seals are original. I have never had the cowl off and i didn't have any idea what was under there. I watched a youtube video on the same problem on a 95 grand am. I'm thinking it is similar to the newer grand am.
Considering the age of the car, i guess i should open it up and check it out. I have access to a parts car if i break the cowl.

The cowl for the 99+ grand am is very similar the only real difference that I can see is it's much deeper than the previous generation. Good luck with it, the getting the wiper arms off is really annoying, I was really worried to put to much force onto them but it worked out in the end.

pongagt
06-21-2013, 10:00 PM
The cowl for the 99+ grand am is very similar the only real difference that I can see is it's much deeper than the previous generation. Good luck with it, the getting the wiper arms off is really annoying, I was really worried to put to much force onto them but it worked out in the end.

Thanks
I just put the wiper arms back on after getting them powder coated so that shouldn't be a problem. Next time i take them off i will put some tape on the windshield so i can line them up right the first time.