04 GA GT SVS & Auto Headlights issue. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 04 GA GT SVS & Auto Headlights issue.

Transam64
06-13-2013, 08:15 AM
Hello, I'm new to this forum so bear with me here. I've searched through this site for a solution to my problem. Maybe someone can point me into the right direction here, this one has me ticked off. ( My car is a 2004 Grand Am GT {July 2004 build date}all stock except TYC Taillights. )
SVS light began coming on a few months ago & I chocked it up to a few issues that needed fixed when I got the time. ( Blower resistor, sunroof was acting up, radio light burned out, cruise control worked intermitently, security light would pop on once in a while & the all annoying blinker clicking constantly.) I have since repaired all the above problems (except the radio light) but still have one that won't go away.
The headlights work but only if you turn them on manually. The auto lights do work & they turn on everything BUT the headlight bulbs. If I start the car normally I get an instant SVS after the gauges test out. If I turn the headlights on manually then start the car I get random SVS, but 9 times out of 10 I get NO SVS if I use this procedure. I have done the following:

Replaced both headlight bulbs
Checked all fuses & relays. (swapped relays around to move problem)
Replaced blower motor & resistor.
Cleaned & lubed all connections inside the multi switch.
Cleaned & lightly lubed all connections to the BCM.
Swapped the factory Taillight assemblies back in.

I may have forgotten a few things but that's the jist.

This is the last prblem I need to fix and it's driving me nuts!!! I've thought about just pulling the SVS bulb, but that just won't make me happy. ( Probably cause all kinds of other problems too.) Code scan revealed no stored codes. (not 100% positive the scanner was BCM capable.)

Am I missing something common here?
I have read the 27 page NOVEL THREAD about the headlights and found a few viable options but I'd rather fix it properly as I will be selling this car soon & I want it to be right.
Thanks for any input you guys/gals may have.

kzulfic
06-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Have you checked the DRL relay?

Transam64
06-14-2013, 06:52 AM
All relays are good. Worked on it some more & I'm not getting a signal from the BCM to the Low Headlight Relay when the Auto lights are on. Only the parking light relay. I jumpered the wires and it works but still have the SVS. I'm going to pull the BCM & re inspect every connection. Especially A-1, that's the activation wire in question.

kzulfic
06-14-2013, 04:36 PM
I would check for corrosion on the BCM harness and also check for continuity in A-1. Could just be a break in the wire somewhere between the BCM and the fuse box.

Transam64
06-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Fixed!! The bcm was outputing signal to A-1 but the connector had "worn" from being removed so many times. I tweaked all the pin sockets over a tad inside the connectors & everythin works again. Didn't notice before but even the parking delay works now.

bricooper78
06-15-2013, 01:20 PM
:applause: congrats! nice to have lights lol even if ours suck

Transam64
06-17-2013, 07:00 AM
Yeah, Now the trunk popper doesn't work! Time to break out the wiring schematics again.