Won't start wont turn over [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Won't start wont turn over

Ground Hugger
06-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Took wife to Wal-Mart in her 03 Grand Am, V6, ram air, when we cam out and went to leave nothing. When I turned the key all the usual dash lights came on but no starter, no engine turn over. My wife then remembered that the engine service light came on while she was going to visit her girl friend. Her husband put his reader on and got a crankshaft position sensor malfunction code. He promptly cleared the code. When she drove home the service light never came back on.

A few days ago same trip to girl friends light comes. Friends husband gets same code clears. Tells her to tell me. Light does not come on again while on the way home so I'm not told about the problem. Also I find out the security light came on while she was driving the car. Stayed on for a while. Don't know if this is related.

Anyway I have a dead car and according to the Haynes manual if the X7 crankshaft positioning sensor is shot I will get nothing to the starter, it wont turn over. Is this correct? I don't fully trust Haynes manuals as they have some very blatant misleading information at times that never gets corrected.

Ground Hugger
06-14-2013, 07:26 PM
Hmmmm ........ No help ......Sad. Well it turns out it was the security system that was stopping the car from starting. Threw the charger on the battery for a few hours then put the key into the ignition, turned to ON and let it sit in about one hour head lights came on and the car started when I turned the key. Apparently this is common problem with these cars. Who told me how to fix it........ the tow truck driver. I know that the crankshaft positioning sensor still needs to be changed and that will be done this week.

bricooper78
06-14-2013, 08:19 PM
The security light flashing is passlock, search that on here, been beat to death twice, the crank sensor should pop up too, I can't remember any symptoms tho.

Edit: finally got internet back
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2900157 <--- I searched it for you. A TON of threads dude, just read up, but the flashing security light is the key usually, then you leave it "on" for 10 minutes, and it'll start. There are bypass methods in here as well.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89445&highlight=crank+position+sensor

that might help explain what you're needing
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89105&highlight=crank+position+sensor

that might be the how-to for the crank position sensor

Metallman56
06-14-2013, 09:15 PM
also make sure the battery connections are tight. I've had that happen to me before when the connections come just lose enough to run everything, but not power the starter. that actually just happened to me last week.

Transam64
06-14-2013, 09:34 PM
When My wifes does that I have to pull the BCM & clean all the connections. Works every time, happens @ least once a year.

Ground Hugger
06-15-2013, 09:13 AM
The first thing I did was tighten the battery connections. Now I'm going to check the connection for the crankshaft position censor. Cars been acting a little odd since the intake manifold gaskets got changed. Apparently the censor can cause fuel injection problems. I get a misfire reading on #4 plug. It starts to run rough. I switch the plug out and its good for 5000k then it acts up again. I throw in a different, not new, and its good again for 5000k.

bricooper78
06-15-2013, 01:19 PM
When My wifes does that I have to pull the BCM & clean all the connections. Works every time, happens @ least once a year.

^You got water getting in there, search for cowl leakage. May fix you for good that way, it shouldn't just corrode on its own.

The first thing I did was tighten the battery connections. Now I'm going to check the connection for the crankshaft position censor. Cars been acting a little odd since the intake manifold gaskets got changed. Apparently the censor can cause fuel injection problems. I get a misfire reading on #4 plug. It starts to run rough. I switch the plug out and its good for 5000k then it acts up again. I throw in a different, not new, and its good again for 5000k.

^THAT is strange. I assume you have changed spark plug wires too, right? Maybe pull the coil pack, I think it will be on the middle one, but if it's stock it'll be marked, and see if that end has any rust or corrosion on it.

Transam64
06-17-2013, 07:07 AM
Mr Cooper.....The moisture seems to come from the heater tube that hooks up to the lower panel under the BCM.( condesation when the A/C is used) I didn't re-seal the BCM like it was from the factory with electrical tape. I left it so it can breathe and the problem lessened alot. It's still a bad location for the BCM.
Sorry to hijack your thread Hugger.

Ground Hugger
06-17-2013, 11:31 AM
I'm confused what is the location of the 7X crankshaft position censor? I looked at a diagram and it shows the censor beside the exhaust manifold left side. But the instruction's say to turn the wheels to the right and jack up vehicle to access it from right side. I do not see any way of accessing it from right or left side. How do you get at it?

Transam64
06-18-2013, 08:27 AM
Best way to get at it is fron directly underneath. It's behind the exhaust manifold slightly to the left ( driver side) from the flange where the pipe attaches. It's not fun to change. You might be able to see it from behind the left front wheel with the wheels turned to the right.