Low coolant light no matter what [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Low coolant light no matter what

sugar ray
06-20-2013, 12:20 AM
As title says. Low coolant light stays on all the time. Just popped up out of the blue. It's an 02 3.4. I changed the lim and head gaskets 2 year back as I had internal loss from a bad lim.

I don't seem to be losing coolant anywhere. Resivor was full so I know coolant isn't actually low. Would assume cap Is ok as well as I have no level loss. No leaks and no overheating.

Light just stays on all the time. Does not come and go. What should I look into? There are no obd codes either. I thinkin the sensor on the coolant resivor. Or is there another one to look in to?

Thanks

kzulfic
06-20-2013, 03:31 AM
Coolant level sensor.

sleepyalero
06-20-2013, 06:52 PM
Get a new coolant tank.

Greasemonkey51
06-21-2013, 08:28 PM
Just get a new sensor in the tank. Easy to change takes like 2 mins

hyperdrive360
06-23-2013, 10:01 PM
As title says. Low coolant light stays on all the time. Just popped up out of the blue. It's an 02 3.4. I changed the lim and head gaskets 2 year back as I had internal loss from a bad lim.

I don't seem to be losing coolant anywhere. Resivor was full so I know coolant isn't actually low. Would assume cap Is ok as well as I have no level loss. No leaks and no overheating.

Light just stays on all the time. Does not come and go. What should I look into? There are no obd codes either. I thinkin the sensor on the coolant resivor. Or is there another one to look in to?

Thanks

Like the others have said its just the sensor part # 12102747. Which ranges from $7-14. And depending on how bad your recov. tank is (i've read a lot about people have problems with the reservoir cap stripping out), the tank is $24 made by dorman. It's 43 if you go the the dealer part # 22712361.

bricooper78
06-23-2013, 10:03 PM
did you check the connection? and the wires? it's entirely possible it's the sensor, but then again, it could simply be the wire is nicked, chipped, rubbed raw, or corroded on the end.

LT4 trans am
06-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Just did this this past weekend. GM coolant level sensors are notorious for issues. I got clean recvovery tank off wrecked car at LKQ for 4 bucks.

T50
06-24-2013, 06:39 AM
is it just me or is it a pain to take off the coolant cap?

BransAm
06-24-2013, 07:25 AM
Its not just you mine is hard to come off too. LOL

[ChaosweaveR]
06-24-2013, 07:58 AM
I kept a large adjustable wrench in my trunk for my coolant cap. lol

There were just days it never wanted to come off the easy way.

sugar ray
06-25-2013, 11:26 PM
Thanks for all suggestions chaps!! Got her figured out!! Was a combination of a couple of things. I was getting the "low coolant" light regardless off how much coolant was in the plastic coolant tank. It was low so I topped it up but still "low coolant" light. Then took it for a spin and parked it. That's when I noticed Dex Cool was pissing out of the over flow hose and onto my drive way.

Popped the hood and spotted a hair line crack in the plastic tank as it was spitting out of the crack and the over flow. My tank was original stock and was no longer white and worst of all was no longer holding any pressure. Years of Dex had turned the bottle yellowish which is normal. You couldn't even tell how much was in the bottle by looking at the side fill line.

Called around and discovered I would have to purchase a new bottle, sensor, and cap all separately if I went through my local parts store. So I hit a wrecker and checked out about 4 different Grand-Am's from 02-05. I hit the jack pot on one of them!! It was a 05 car that was side swiped and written off with only 48,000 KM'S (not miles) Other then dust, under the hood was spotless. The bottle was still in great shape and a pretty white color. Picked up bottle with sensor and cap for $15. Installed and required new Dex-Cool. Been running perfectly since!! No leaks, no mess, and no fuss.

May have to go back to that wreckers and negotiate on a price for the 3400 motor. Extremely low miles. Never hurts to have a spare??

thanks again!!