5th Gen Can Bus? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 5th Gen Can Bus?

StormTec2.0
07-08-2013, 02:20 AM
Does the 5th Gen Grand Am OBD2 have CAN?.

I want the purchase a Autometer Ecometer gauge but the car must have OBD2 with CAN bus.

mfuller
07-08-2013, 03:45 AM
Nope.

MAC the KNIFE
07-08-2013, 08:44 PM
i dont know what CAN bus is, but i got one of those obd2 bluetooth plugins and the torque pro app. you wouldn't believe all the stuff it reads. what does the autometer eco gauge do for you? i can tell you if torque pro does it too. all in, i've spent 17 bucks for the adapter and app.

this is an old screen, when i was first starting to use it.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31376&stc=1&d=1373337719

bricooper78
07-08-2013, 09:08 PM
Sure don't have a screen that big on my phone. jerk lol

I like torque, it's a pretty decent peak into the car for dirt cheap

StormTec2.0
07-08-2013, 09:42 PM
I bought an Ecometer and it works great and fits on my gauge pods. Ecometer tells you MPG, RPM,MPH and throttle position. I wanted something that i could keep in my car for it to always be there and not use my phone. I might get a Scangauge2 and that tell me loads of stuff even intake temp.

rjs_boy
07-09-2013, 03:45 AM
i dont know what CAN bus is, but i got one of those obd2 bluetooth plugins and the torque pro app. you wouldn't believe all the stuff it reads. what does the autometer eco gauge do for you? i can tell you if torque pro does it too. all in, i've spent 17 bucks for the adapter and app.

this is an old screen, when i was first starting to use it.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31376&stc=1&d=1373337719

How did you get the Oil Pressure/Oil Temp and Fuel Level working with the Grand Am?

AaronGTR
07-09-2013, 10:14 AM
How did you get the Oil Pressure/Oil Temp and Fuel Level working with the Grand Am?

He didn't. That's in his G8.

The grand am is not CAN BUS. That stands for Controller Area Network and is a system that lets multiple microprocessors (computers or other control devices) communicate with each other without a central host computer. It's basically just a different communication protocol that lets more devices share information faster. It was not around yet when grand ams were made. They didn't start using them until the G6.

StormTec2.0
07-09-2013, 02:58 PM

The grand am is not CAN BUS. That stands for Controller Area Network and is a system that lets multiple microprocessors (computers or other control devices) communicate with each other without a central host computer. It's basically just a different communication protocol that lets more devices share information faster. It was not around yet when grand ams were made. They didn't start using them until the G6.

Good info. Thanks

rjs_boy
07-09-2013, 03:48 PM

Makes sense...been trying to figure out if I could get Torque to show those two sensors...mostly the fuel gauge one...although the oil pressure/temp would be nice to see also.

It sees most of the other sensors though.

semborski
07-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Ill sell ya one of these: http://ultra-gauge.com/ZC/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=16&zenid=29bf8pdgiahrocgl71qk0rprd0

Used it on my grand am for a year or so, no need for it anymore. Id sell it for $45 shipped in us. Its got the windshield mount

AaronGTR
07-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Makes sense...been trying to figure out if I could get Torque to show those two sensors...mostly the fuel gauge one...although the oil pressure/temp would be nice to see also.

It sees most of the other sensors though.

You wouldn't get oil pressure or temp anyway, even if you could use that program, because the grand am doesn't have sensors for those. ;)