Wiring LED Strips / What Fuse to Tap? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Wiring LED Strips / What Fuse to Tap?

Sleepwalkr
07-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Please forgive me... I'm sure this has been covered a hundred times, and I did a dozen searches, but I wanna make sure I'm doing this properly as to not blow an important fuse or something equally electrically operated.

I'm gonna install a couple LED strips under the bumper. I wanna hook up the positive wire to a fuse tap in the box under the hood. I want them to come on only after turning the key to ACC or start. It seems like every fuse I pull and test are always hot. I know stuff like the radio, wipers, and sunroof are all ACC hot, but those are in the fuse boxes on the side of the dash, and I wanna use the under hood box. I've read that you can tap in to anything that reads IGN or BATT because those are key hot, but when I ask people about it, they say not to, and that I should use the radio etc. fuses....but again, I wanna use the under hood fuse box. Plus, the fuse taps I see at Autozone etc. usually are at 10 amps, and aren't the IGN fuses usually 20 or more?

Anyway, thanks for your patience. I just wanna hook up these damn lights I bought a month ago without screwing something up. I'm sure this is pretty simple for most of you, but I don't have much electrical/wiring experience.

Thanks

bricooper78
07-10-2013, 08:14 PM
You can use the cig lighter, it's key hot iirc

didn't see the rest lol my bad

okay, as far as draw, a couple strips of leds aren't going to overload anything you put them on, as for something key hot, underhood, you're stretching, the fusebox inside the driver's side would be the place you want to tap, there are several spaces you can pass small wires through the firewall, it's easy, just find a rubber grommet and poke 'em through with a screwdriver(wire isn't strong enough to poke through on it's own, just using the screwdriver as a guide) and run 'em down to the bumper off your switch dude!

TruGreenGAGT
07-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Just tap into the running parking light wire from one of the headlights. Then at night when your headlights are on your LED strip will be on as well...n btw what color are you mounting?

MAC the KNIFE
07-10-2013, 09:19 PM
find this at any auto parts store, pick up some extra fuses, 2amp is plenty for LEDs.
hopefully you can tell in the picture that it holds two fuses. you can have a 20amp fuse (or whatever size fuse for the circuit you're tapping into) on the bottom for the original circuit, and then a 2 amp fuse just above it, and you really do get two circuits. if the 2 amp fuse pops, you won't lose power to the original circuit that has the larger fuse.

i tapped mine into the parking lights, and have a switch in the cabin to turn them off so they don't always run whenever the parking lights are on.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u55/t_pilot/add-a-circuit.jpg

holy big pictures Batman!

bricooper78
07-10-2013, 09:22 PM
Oh sure, show people pics of your pedo-mobile when you're showing off your pretty lights why don't you :hay:

j/k i'm jealous as hell man, you can feel it can't you...

wanna feel it???? :heh:

Sleepwalkr
07-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Just tap into the running parking light wire from one of the headlights. Then at night when your headlights are on your LED strip will be on as well...n btw what color are you mounting?

True, but I was hoping to have them on during the day too when I'm driving around...kind of a secondary DRL, similar to a lot of new cars. The color is pure white, maybe a slight bluish hue...like when you see a new Audi or Buick etc. go by.

TruGreenGAGT
07-11-2013, 05:25 PM
i would just run a wire to the inside fuse box then and tap into the wiper fuse

fisdad
07-11-2013, 06:13 PM
True, but I was hoping to have them on during the day too when I'm driving around...kind of a secondary DRL, similar to a lot of new cars. The color is pure white, maybe a slight bluish hue...like when you see a new Audi or Buick etc. go by.

So run them to your drl fuse block or just tap into the high beam wiring so that they light with the drls