Rocker Arm Size 02 grand am? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rocker Arm Size 02 grand am?

BJPbrandon2448
07-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Can anyone help me determine the rocker arm size in the Grand Am? I know it is a later year 02... but I was wanting to place the order for my heads from wot tech and am not sure if I have the 8mm or 10mm??? I tried pulling the stupid front valve cover off but I ****ING HATE HOW THEY PURPOSELY DESIGN **** NOT TO TAKE IT APART!!! I don't wanna have to pull out that stupid coolant heating tube just to take my valve cover off! If someone could chime in it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

AaronGTR
07-12-2013, 08:45 AM
well they supposedly made the switch in '03. The heads WOT tech offers are for 99-02 cars and for '03-05 cars, so there is your switch over point right there. If you really want to be sure though, you are going to have to pull one of the valve covers. Either pull the coolant line on the front, or take off the alternator and coil packs and you can pull the rear one without draining any coolant. ;)

O1GAGT
07-12-2013, 10:54 AM
I am going to say they will be 10mm rockers as it is a 02. You might be able to tell by looking under the oil fill cap if you can see the side of one of the rockers.

BJPbrandon2448
07-12-2013, 04:02 PM
Thanks Aaron really appreciate it, but I know my 02 is a later year one because of the removal of the floor interior lights and the bulb used in the interior headlamp, so that's what scares me... How big of a deal would it be if I made an educated guess? Milzy will be assembling all of my parts and tuning... Thanks Phil I'm gonna try that out, hoping for the best!

AaronGTR
07-13-2013, 02:57 PM
Well, if you get the heads with the wrong size threaded hole, your rockers won't fit obviously, so you'll either have to get new rockers, or drill and tap the heads. I wouldn't want to do either.

If you are running or planning on running a bigger cam with some stiffer valve springs, I would personally want the earlier heads with the 10mm rocker studs. They will be stronger and less likely to strip or break with the higher spring pressure. If not, you are probably fine with the 8mm ones.

BJPbrandon2448
07-13-2013, 03:35 PM
Well, if you get the heads with the wrong size threaded hole, your rockers won't fit obviously, so you'll either have to get new rockers, or drill and tap the heads. I wouldn't want to do either.

If you are running or planning on running a bigger cam with some stiffer valve springs, I would personally want the earlier heads with the 10mm rocker studs. They will be stronger and less likely to strip or break with the higher spring pressure. If not, you are probably fine with the 8mm ones.

Thanks Aaron between removing the oil cap and unbolting the valve cover I was able to verify the size without removing the heater tube! I have 10mm, so I'm pretty hyped about that going along with what you just said, I did however manage to break the bleeder valve off on the heater tube... ;crap I hope it will be alright, just to get the car down to Milzy.

geldartb
07-13-2013, 04:15 PM
i got one of the coolant tubes off on of the older minivans with the 3400. montana or trans sport iirc.. the early years of them. try 96-98. forget exactly what i got it off of since i got it like 4yrs ago.. i know it was a pontiac though.

it eliminates the crap going in front of the valve cover and sends it along the passenger side using a rubber hose. same way it was setup on the minivan..

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h5/95blackz26/Grand%20Am/1eaaaa31-1473-4d8c-8f76-80e8151a85fe.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/95blackz26/media/Grand%20Am/1eaaaa31-1473-4d8c-8f76-80e8151a85fe.jpg.html)

BJPbrandon2448
07-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Mine was brand new from milzy too all powder coated red and cleaned up nice! ... Hopefully I can drill it out, or perhaps milzy will know what to do?

AaronGTR
07-15-2013, 12:32 PM
Did you break off the part with the hex nut on top? If the nut is still there, you can take it out with a wrench or socket and just replace it with a new one. You can get bleeder valves at the auto parts store. I got one for mine because the magnacharger kit came with a custom coolant tower to eliminate the hard line and it didn't have a bleeder valve on it. I wanted a valve there like stock to make it easier to bleed the air from the system, so I drilled and tapped the tower and put one in.

BJPbrandon2448
07-15-2013, 03:44 PM
Did you break off the part with the hex nut on top? If the nut is still there, you can take it out with a wrench or socket and just replace it with a new one. You can get bleeder valves at the auto parts store. I got one for mine because the magnacharger kit came with a custom coolant tower to eliminate the hard line and it didn't have a bleeder valve on it. I wanted a valve there like stock to make it easier to bleed the air from the system, so I drilled and tapped the tower and put one in.

Yes unfortunately Aaron, I broke off the whole top of the hex bolt/bleeder valve. Now you can just see the metal stuck down in the top of the larger valve... Perhaps I can just remove the whole valve and just replace both of them?