P0442 Evap. Code [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : P0442 Evap. Code

FoxyB
07-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Hey guys.

I've found some fantastic answers on this board before, which have allowed me to terminate the annoying turn signal clicking, install new hub assemblies and replace my old, fogged-up headlight assemblies. I must ask another question.

First I have to admit some stupidity. I left my gas cap partially unscrewed for several days. Once the SES light popped on, I went to O'Reilly's to determine the problem. P0442 Evaporative Emissions Code. As most of my knowledge involves two-wheeled vehicles, I asked the guy what could cause that code.

"Did you leave your gas cap off?"

....Well damn. Look at that. I did.

Anyhow, he said to drive around for a day or two and the code would eliminate itself. It's been 4, and it hasn't gone off yet.

Do I need to reset the code manually? If I do that, will the code come back if there is actually an issue [other than me leaving my gas cap off] with the emissions system? If the SES light will correct itself, how long ought to it remain on?

Any pointers or suggestions (other than, replace your gas cap, dumbass) is always highly appreciated.

Thanks guys!
-B

sugar ray
07-14-2013, 11:10 PM
I have had my 02 since new. I do all repairs and matinence on it. My piece of advise would be to invest in a obd2 reader. Like anything else. You can get cheap ones and expensive ones. You don't need top of the line a basic should do. I have had that code on my 02. After resetting, it went away and stayed away. I am convinced the software on these models are touchy. Every once in a while I will get a random code that eliminates through reset. If your code is more serious in nature. Aka: a bad o2 sensor. Then no amount of resetting will keep your light off until the problem is solved. Your code may be just what I like to call a "random" if you reset it and it stays away then you had a random. If you reset and it comes back right away, you will have to dig deeper

Grab a code reader and do a reset. You can plan your next move depending on your results. My hunch says you had a random that needs to be reset.

bricooper78
07-14-2013, 11:13 PM
It can take several trips before that goes away, I didn't get mine right once and had the light for like 2 weeks.. I don't remember how long until the computer sees it as fixed and clears the code. It will eventually clear itself, if that is all the problem is, and it probably is, knowing how fickle these things are with the cap.

As for clearing, with Android, there is an app called "torque", it's 5 bucks if not on sale, and you can get a bluetooth obd2 adapter for about 12 off eBay, and you can read *and most importantly CLEAR codes* with it! I use it constantly, it's basic, but it clears codes, so once you've done the fix, you can then clear it, and go on about your day, and then read for codes again later to see if anything is coming back. completely worth under 20 bucks.

FoxyB
07-14-2013, 11:27 PM
Hey, thanks guys. That's some good stuff. I haven't taken a vehicle to a shop in over a decade, so any tools I nab usually ends up in my trunk for later use. I do have an android phone, so I will look into torque and a obd2 reader. My GA rarely throws codes, so I'm inclined to believe it's probably a random; but then again, I did just replace my TPS a couple of weeks ago, so it's likely time to prepare myself to encounter other random issues.

Appreciate it!