CAI tube rubbing/wearing down, need a solution [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : CAI tube rubbing/wearing down, need a solution

optional toast
07-26-2013, 02:55 PM
Bad title but I couldn't think of how to describe the issue in so few words. I recently swapped in the stock ram air intake for a smog check which I passed, and now I'm looking to re-install my CAI. The problem is that I noticed after the CAI was removed is that the CAI pipe that drops through from the engine compartment to the wheel well has been rubbing ever so slightly against the edge of that hole, causing it to slowly wear down the metal in one spot (maybe about 1" long 1/4" wide). It has not completely worn through, maybe 1/3 of the metal is gone in that spot. But if I don't do anything about it when I reinstall then it will eventually wear through. I've only had it for about a year so at the most I think it might last one more year unless I do something.

When the CAI is in place it is quite secure, barely moves when you try to move it by hand but I guess the vibrations from the engine/road are enough to cause this to happen over time. I believe there is a lip where the hole in the compartment is and the edge looks sharp enough to cause this. I've thought about trying to hammer that edge over a little out of the way but I don't know if this would be the best way to go about it. Duct tape would be a quick easy fix but I'm not sure it could take the heat. My budget is extremely tight right now so anything like powder coating is out of the question.

Anyone else run into this? Anyone have a suggestion or solution? As always any advice is appreciated.

Starglow
07-26-2013, 06:03 PM
You can install a tube brace like I did. You can also find some kind of material like rubber, Velcro, or heavy tape and wrap it around the pipe where it passes through the fender to act as an insulator against rubbing. You might not need that though if you install the mounting brace.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/Starglow/3500%20Engine/DSCF0528_zpsf5f5ae9e.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/Starglow/media/3500%20Engine/DSCF0528_zpsf5f5ae9e.jpg.html)

sleepyalero
07-26-2013, 06:38 PM
That or just put some rubber on where it rubs.. Mine rubs, i dont plan on doing anything with it. Especially now cause my motor doesnt move with the new motor mount so the intake stays in place.

StormTec2.0
07-27-2013, 01:48 AM
You can install a tube brace like I did. You can also find some kind of material like rubber, Velcro, or heavy tape and wrap it around the pipe where it passes through the fender to act as an insulator against rubbing. You might not need that though if you install the mounting brace.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/Starglow/3500%20Engine/DSCF0528_zpsf5f5ae9e.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/Starglow/media/3500%20Engine/DSCF0528_zpsf5f5ae9e.jpg.html)

Were did you get your filter wrap?

sleepyalero
07-27-2013, 03:10 AM

Search google..."injen hydro shield"

Starglow
07-27-2013, 07:35 AM

I bought it online from Summit IIRC. You have to measure your filter to order the correct size.

TDavis
07-27-2013, 07:36 AM
How does that wrap keep water out?

Nick-G
07-27-2013, 08:14 AM

It doesn't lol I bought one of those things quite some time ago and IMO its junk.

Starglow
07-27-2013, 09:28 AM

It's water repellent but not water proof. It also screens large dirt particles to help keep the filter cleaner. I have an additional water shield I made from a roof pipe boot that's not shown in the picture but I detailed it in another post.

1995quad4se
07-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Just out of curiosity, how are your motor mounts doing? The pipe might be secure to the motor but if the motor isn't secure to the sub-frame it will move around some while driving.

optional toast
07-27-2013, 11:36 AM
I like the brace idea. Is that something you fabricated yourself? If not where could I find one? I've thought about using various insulators but I've been a little weary as I'm not sure how well they would hold up over time or how well most adhesives would do in a hot engine compartment.

Starglow
07-27-2013, 12:41 PM
I like the brace idea. Is that something you fabricated yourself? If not where could I find one? I've thought about using various insulators but I've been a little weary as I'm not sure how well they would hold up over time or how well most adhesives would do in a hot engine compartment.

The brace came with the CAI kit I bought on ebay. They don't tell you what to do with it but that's where I put it. I had to bend it to shape and drilled two bolt holes in the tube. The threaded stud is one of the mounting locations for the stock airbox tube so it should already be there on your car.

zukiracer19
07-27-2013, 12:48 PM
My intercooler piping rubbed right there, I jb welded it shut then put a few rolls of tape around it... no issues.

optional toast
07-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone! Not sure which direction I'll go yet but I feel I have enough info to work with now.

kzulfic
07-27-2013, 03:47 PM
I just took some vacuum line, cut it length wise and placed it aroundthe border of the hole. Kinda like a homemade gromet.