Oil Leak? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak?

pgagt2002
07-28-2013, 01:58 AM
Hello everyone.

I have a 2002 GAGT with 89k miles. Recently, some problems have occurred:

Wednesday: Security light is on. Had to do relearn procedure three times. It worked, but killed battery.

Friday: Tried to jump start car with portable jump starter. Didn't work- jump starter too weak. Concluded I will need another car to jump start it. In total, tried to start the car about 5 times throughout the day with the portable jump starter.

Today: Put car in neutral. Pushed car out and reversed into parking spot for easier access to battery when I can get a jump tomorrow.

PROBLEM: When I got the car back in the parking stall I noticed oil on the ground. I identified it as engine oil because of the golden color. The leak stopped after 30 minutes and the engine oil level is still full. I am assuming this leaking was linked to me trying to start the car several times.

Can anyone tell me what component the leak might be coming from? I don't even know what components are in that upper right corner.....Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Picture 1 shows the general area of leak. (flashlight)
Picture 2 shows that specific area.
Picture 3 shows the mess underneath.

sleepyalero
07-28-2013, 03:52 AM
Wow quite a bit of oil. Id keep an eye on it for a couple days.

Is that on driver side? Id say it could be rear head, valve cover, or possibly the oil pan gasket, but in that spot i cant for sure say its that. Its kind of hard to tell where or what is leaking.

I would suggest jacking up the car, looking up where the oil is and see if you can determine where.

bricooper78
07-28-2013, 09:19 AM
You got a nut loose under there lol

but the first thing I would do, put a piece of cardboard under it when you park it to watch for more leaking, make sure it was you, and not something that you didn't notice when you parked it.

I'd agree with sleepy on location, but also being under the brake booster, and your fluid looked a little lower than what i remember mine being at, check it too, just to make sure. brake failure would suck.

Starglow
07-28-2013, 09:39 AM
Friday: Tried to jump start car with portable jump starter. Didn't work- jump starter too weak. Concluded I will need another car to jump start it. In total, tried to start the car about 5 times throughout the day with the portable jump starter.

You might want to try charging the battery with a battery charger for about 30 minutes and then the jump starter should work. However if your battery is that weak then you're probably going to need to replace it anyway.

rjs_boy
07-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Honestly...

It looks more likely to be brake fluid or power steering fluid in that specific part of the car.

Where your blue arrow is in #2, is basically pointing right at the power steering rack and where the fluid hoses connect for the steering.

Power Steering Fluid
Brake Fluid
Engine Oil

Are all typically a golden brown color, although sometimes you will see red transmission fluid used in power steering systems.

Since your engine oil is staying good, I would check your power steering fluid level, and your brake fluid level.