Headers [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Headers

MattStauber
08-01-2013, 01:04 PM
What is a good set of headers for the 3400 and where can I find them.. their are so many headers out their I just need a little help.

TDavis
08-01-2013, 01:15 PM
"There are so many headers out there"

wut.

TOG headers are nice but are discontinued, those would be the only ones I'd buy but there are other options like S&S which I think are discontinued also? and Pacesetter headers.

MattStauber
08-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Yeah exactly it seems so many good headers such as S&S and TOG are discontinued... Im a little iffy on pacesetter.. not sure if its worth purchasing.. seem cheap.

Are their any good headers out on the market worth buying to put on?

Smithkid21
08-01-2013, 01:33 PM
S&S - discontinued - good set
TOG - discontinued - good set
Pacesetter - still made - many problems
OBX - still made - few good, few bad. Hit or miss.

And then the silver lining, MMS. They're custom made for the Grand Am's, and the best on the market. Also the most expensive.

At the end of it all, just remember, you get what you pay for.

AaronGTR
08-01-2013, 02:16 PM
S&S and TOG's were the best budget options, but still had small problems. They are a both discontinued. Pacesetter are crap and not worth spending money on. Milzy motorsports makes some good headers. Expensive, and possibly overkill for some people, but best ones out there for sure.

There's actually not much out there anymore, unless you can find some used, or are willing to pay big bucks. The reality of it is... this is a dead platform. There aren't many people modifying them anymore, so there's no money in making parts for them. It's only going to get worse as they get older.

MattStauber
08-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Thank you guys so much for clearing things up

sleepyalero
08-01-2013, 03:23 PM
I have pacesetters, been on there ohh.... 3 years now.

mfuller
08-01-2013, 04:52 PM
I will say that MMS headers are the highest quality headers I've had, but they are also the loudest.

99ga
08-01-2013, 05:41 PM
I will say that MMS headers are the highest quality headers I've had, but they are also the loudest.

A vid would be nice :)..

sleepyalero
08-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Matt wants quiet but good performance :)

AaronGTR
08-01-2013, 06:54 PM
I have pacesetters, been on there ohh.... 3 years now.

They still suck.

sleepyalero
08-01-2013, 08:05 PM
They still suck.

Once you work out the flaws they are pretty decent for the money. I have had no problems.

DaRkWaVe
08-02-2013, 12:20 AM
Once you work out the flaws they are pretty decent for the money. I have had no problems.

I've had no problems with my Pacesetters, either, especially since I got them for a deal. The armor coat still looks brand new and everything has stayed together. I don't, however, like the way they sound sometimes. Sounds like an old man struggling to squeeze a few remaining drops out of his melon-sized prostate at the urinal. I don't understand why people bad mouth Pacesetter headers so much. I did the proper research before purchasing to avoid any install snags. I guess people have had bad experiences with rust? I didn't want to take a gamble on OBX's.

sleepyalero
08-02-2013, 05:21 AM
Yeah mine are non armor coat, still holding up, alot of people just dont like em. Oh well. One day ill be upgrading to milzys headers anyway. These are basically just getting me by. But i dont mind them.

AaronGTR
08-02-2013, 10:06 AM

Not really. They don't fit as well as the other headers, and the quality of the welds sucks. By the time you spent enough money fixing them and getting them coated as they should be, you'd have spent enough to get better headers to begin with.

Even my TOG headers weren't perfect, but I got a good deal on them, and I had my own welder so I was able to modify them myself instead of paying someone else to do it. Changed all the flanges to v-band and had them jet-hot coated. Now they are easy to take off and install, and no leaks, and they are smoother inside and have better welds than the pace****ters. lol

sleepyalero
08-02-2013, 10:13 AM
All my fixes were free (did myself) other then metal gaskets. And i dont have any fitting issues.