Thinking about going 6 speed [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about going 6 speed

solutions_auto
08-15-2013, 04:36 AM
Like the title states Ive been contemplating doing a six speed swap for awhile. I just want to get peoples opinions first, from people who have done it and anyone else that cares to chime in.

Thanks gents

sassyness77
08-15-2013, 09:50 AM
I contemplated the 6 speed before deciding on the 5 speed simply for price and power concerns with the f40 dual mass flywheel. I believe the dual mass FW can not handle much more than the stock HP of the 3900, you can do a custom solid FW but I've heard it is very chatty at idle. I would be concerned with your supercharger and the f40, this is from reading from a fiero owner with an f40 and he stated it was tested and couldn't handle anything 10% over the stock output of the lz9.

Otherwise, it wouldn't be too expensive and I would still loved to have a 6 speed.
Trans $400 new
F40 mounts from miltzy $600ish?
Dual mass flywheel ?
Custom solid flywheel?
Shifter, cables, axles, intermediate axle, shift knob, shift boot, can all be ordered from GM.

I could never find a 6 speed g6 in a JY or on car-part.com.

destroyer179
08-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Was just talking about this the other day. For the kit with everything from Milzy, $3900 plus labor if you have him install it. So it's a good chunk of change but if I had the money I would have him do it. Love driving a stick and miss it a lot.

mfuller
08-15-2013, 11:09 AM
Well, I am probably uniquely qualified to answer this one.

The 6 speed is lots of fun and I got a reasonable boost in highway mileage. Another plus is that Quaife makes a helical limited-slip diff for it.
That said, it is not the best option if you want to go drag racing.
The transmission does chatter even with the dual-mass flywheel (although some of that is likely due to my cam). The shift linkage is pretty notchy - think of a Fox-body Mustang with a T-5 and you've about got it.
The gearbox itself is fairly clunky, as you can hear the shift collars rattling around. I have read this is mainly due to the 3-shaft configuration of the gearbox.
The shifter throws are pretty long, but the clutch is fairly light.
1st gear is really short; about 37mph at my 6500rpm fuel cut-off. 2nd gear is good for ~70, maybe 97-ish in third.
I don't think I'd do it again if I had the chance. It was very expensive for me and the computer tuning isn't perfect, but it's pretty close.
It is fun though.

sleepyalero
08-15-2013, 02:24 PM
It is a very noisy transmission, but lots of fun.

I like mine.

solutions_auto
08-15-2013, 04:04 PM
I wish I knew someone local with the trans so I could hear it and determine if it would be worth it or not. If I do it I'm just going to buy the kit from milzy and install myself

sleepyalero
08-15-2013, 04:16 PM
You will have to cut out a section on the driver side wheel well and weld in a bracket for a mount.

The chatter isnt bad, its normal for it. You will hear in neutral the clutch will chatter a bit. Maybe i can get a small vid for you later.

sleepyalero
08-16-2013, 02:31 AM
Okay i have some videos for you..... The car is alot of fun. Despite the chatter noises. But in stock M6 G6's they are chattery too but not as severe since you get stiff trans mounts with it.

First one, heres a WOT going through gears 1-2-3, i spin a little going into second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=otf3JLUloHQ

Heres a... 45 ish roll in second, then hit 3rd and 4th and let out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evppy4aBles&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Now for the clutch chatter, its alot less severe then this at idle with clutch out but this is what you get when you push the clutch half way in. You get used to the noise after awhile. And i got about 14k miles on it now with no problems. Also your car will vibrate, ALOT with this trans/mounts. Mine sure did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWiQ_yDvqxs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hope this helps, like i said its alot of fun! I always have a blast with it.

Edit: idk why the first one shows as a link and the other two show a little video screen in my reply, either way all links work.

solutions_auto
08-16-2013, 08:13 AM
I love the idea of the 6 speed, but that sure is a lot of chatter. I'll have to think on it. Just out of curiousity how much did you have to give Milzy to do the install.

AaronGTR
08-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Me personally, I'd do a 5 spd instead of the 6 spd. With the supercharger and extra torque you have, you don't need the really low first gear. You'll have enough pull to get through 5 gears instead of 6 and won't have to shift as often. Then there are the possible noise/durability issues. Not sure which one would be easier to cheaper to find, but I just think the 5 would suit the car better.

mfuller
08-16-2013, 01:13 PM
Nathan's seems to chatter a lot more than mine. I'll try to get a good walk-around video tonight.

This is a video from about a year ago.
http://s641.photobucket.com/user/matthew_fuller/media/6-speeddaytime.mp4.html

sleepyalero
08-16-2013, 02:51 PM
I love the idea of the 6 speed, but that sure is a lot of chatter. I'll have to think on it. Just out of curiousity how much did you have to give Milzy to do the install.

3700$ for parts, 1060 for install. Install price has gone up after he did me and matts.

Nathan's seems to chatter a lot more than mine. I'll try to get a good walk-around video tonight.

This is a video from about a year ago.
http://s641.photobucket.com/user/matthew_fuller/media/6-speeddaytime.mp4.html

Matt, in neutral, push your clutch peddle down have way, it should chatter like that, mine is never that loud when its all the way out.. I had to do it that way to get a noticable noise because the normal chatter was not loud enough for my phone to pick up

solutions_auto
08-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the videos guys

sleepyalero
08-17-2013, 01:06 PM
No problem