how much would it cost to replace all 4 brake lines? 00 GA [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : how much would it cost to replace all 4 brake lines? 00 GA

buffbison
08-28-2013, 07:01 PM
i have a 00 grand am and all four brake lines are rusted and front driver is leaking....how much would a shop charge to replace all four lines? i took it to a shop and they refused to do it. so i have to find another shop who will....i really don't want to take it to the dealership.

AND.... does anyone have a tutorial how to replace the front driver line? i know that is the one needs fixed, and if i had a how-to, i am confident enough to do it myself. i just don't have a lot of time to replace all four at one time. thank you!

Smithkid21
08-28-2013, 07:07 PM
Well, I work at a Honda dealership, and we just did all 4 brake lines on a 99 Civic, and it cost about $2200 all said and done. Granted we are a dealership, and our shop rate is $102/hr (huge scam/rip-off, I know lol). But I guess it might help with a ball-park figure? Good luck man.

Starglow
08-28-2013, 07:26 PM
The problem is that you can't buy them new anymore. So your choices are either get a good used one from a salvage yard or custom make your own or pay a shop to do it which won't be cheap.

Brake lines run from point A to point B and you just replace them the same way. If you really need a how-to for that level of work then honestly you probably shouldn't do it yourself.

buffbison
08-29-2013, 02:10 AM
The problem is that you can't buy them new anymore. So your choices are either get a good used one from a salvage yard or custom make your own or pay a shop to do it which won't be cheap.

Brake lines run from point A to point B and you just replace them the same way. If you really need a how-to for that level of work then honestly you probably shouldn't do it yourself.

I have never done them before, so I don't know the proper procedures. I have a repair book and some worksheets how to do it, so i am not afraid to do the work myself. I simply don't have the time do them right now, so I will either wait until I do or take it to a shop. I'm not a mechanic, but I learn how to fix cars by going to a u-pull junkyard before I work on my cars. I'll tinker with cars there until I learn how to correctly remove/reinstall a part. That's how I learned to replace the whole air conditioning system in my GA few months back.

sleepyalero
08-29-2013, 02:19 AM
Easiest way, go to a junk yard pull the lines off because they are already pre bent for the car.

Second option, go buy brake line from a auto store, bend yourself to fit.

Good luck.

johnsond25
08-29-2013, 07:15 AM
It coste me about 200 to do myself bending them to fit sucked but saved hella money