dying while idling, ocassional hesitation/lurching [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : dying while idling, ocassional hesitation/lurching

DucksInARow
08-29-2013, 01:22 PM
I have an '01 GA 4-cyl. This is driving me crazy.
While sitting at idle, the engine will occasionally sputter for a few seconds, then die.
Also if I'm on the freeway with my foot on the gas, the thing runs fine. But if I let my foot off the gas the car will lurch/sputter, sometimes fairly violently (scary). Putting my foot back on the gas, the car gets going again fine.
This has been happening for the last couple of weeks.

The SES light came on once, and the code that came up was P0172 - fuel mix too rich (this has only happened once though). I read through the shop manual and it suggested that it might be a failed front oxygen sensor, MAF sensor, or clogged fuel injector.

I don't think it's fuel injectors because I replaced all the injectors about a year ago, and I only run Chevron Premium gas. It's also got 2 new oxygen sensors and a new cat converter (had to get those a while ago for California smog), and a new air filter.

I haven't touched the MAF sensor. I'm a little nervous about that. My mechanic suggested replacing the fuel filter...seems odd but maybe so.

Any suggestions would be very very very appreciated as this is driving me insane.
Thanks.

bricooper78
08-29-2013, 08:20 PM
MAF sensor cleaner, pull that sucker out and douche it down real good, aside of that, the idle air sensor might be something, can you have it checked while it's acting up, to see if it's throwing a code right before dying?