EGR Issues [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : EGR Issues

xalteph
09-02-2013, 09:29 PM
When I am at about 30-40% throttle I hear a metal whistling noise and the car accelerates very slowly. When I go to a higher throttle like 60-100% the noise stops and the car drives fine. I get no Check Engine Light. I tried unplugging the EGR valve wire and the car drives great and there is no noise but I get a Check Engine Light for the EGR valve being unplugged.

The car drives fine when it is cold for a minute or two if the EGR valve is unplugged or plugged in.

I replaced the EGR valve and plugged it back in. The same problem happens. What could cause this issue? Also I noticed when replacing the EGR valve, the pipe that hooks up to the EGR valve was a little crimped at the end of it. Could that be the problem?

sleepyalero
09-02-2013, 11:28 PM
Possibly be the problem, you could always just delete the EGR as well.

Or replace the tubing and see what happens.

rjs_boy
09-03-2013, 08:32 PM
What year is your Grand Am?

xalteph
09-04-2013, 10:50 AM
what year is your grand am?

xalteph
09-06-2013, 06:35 PM
you could always just delete the EGR as well.

Wouldn't I have to tune it out though?

AaronGTR
09-30-2013, 07:13 PM
I don't really think an EGR would cause a problem like this myself. If it wasn't opening and closing at the right times you should be getting codes for the EGR. iirc the PCM monitors voltage to the valve to determine pintle position, and also cross references the MAP sensor for changes in manifold pressure when the EGR is open/closed. That's how it determines it is working properly.

I think the problem may be somewhere else, but hard to tell where without seeing it or having more info (scan data etc.).

xalteph
09-30-2013, 08:28 PM
I don't really think an EGR would cause a problem like this myself. If it wasn't opening and closing at the right times you should be getting codes for the EGR. iirc the PCM monitors voltage to the valve to determine pintle position, and also cross references the MAP sensor for changes in manifold pressure when the EGR is open/closed. That's how it determines it is working properly.

I think the problem may be somewhere else, but hard to tell where without seeing it or having more info (scan data etc.).

Is it possible a clogged catalytic converter could cause excess pressure going into the EGR and causing the engine to bog down?

AaronGTR
09-30-2013, 11:25 PM
It's possible a clogged cat could increase back pressure and that would in turn increase EGR flow into the manifold. That wouldn't really "bog" the engine I would think, as much as it would simply decrease power by lowering the amount of oxygen in the air charge. I suppose it could cause a slight fuel ratio imbalance. I think if the flow was increased that much though that the PCM ought to see something on the MAP sensor and set a code. I can't say for sure though. I would also think that if the cat was clogged it would hurt power in the top end too, and not just at 30-40% throttle. It could depend on just how clogged the cat was, but it it wasn't clogged up very bad, then I would think it wouldn't affect EGR flow that much either... it's really hard to say. You would just have to do more in-depth investigation.