Are Centric brakes good? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Are Centric brakes good?

DucksInARow
09-04-2013, 06:01 PM
It's time to change the brakes. My calipers, master cylinder, and rear brakes are all original. The car has 270k miles.

I'm looking at using Centric parts. I'm planning on replacing most of the hardware: calipers, pads, rotors, brake lines (but not the solid brake lines running from the master cylinder), rear cylinders and shoes (I have the SE model and it's got drums in the back).

I was looking at using all Centric parts. I've heard good things about Centric, and their parts are less expensive than Delco and Raybestos.

So is Centric good, crap, or somewhere in between?
I will use all stock parts (no big mods at this point, unfortunately ;crap).
Thanks!

[ChaosweaveR]
09-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Centric is very good.

I've never used them on my cars, but the shops I've worked at, Centric were parts of choice for any German car we worked on. Customer feedback was always good, their parts are pretty good quality. Nothing cheap about them.

AaronGTR
09-04-2013, 08:41 PM
I've heard they are pretty good too. I've only used some of their hardware myself (bolts, anti-rattle clips, boots) but their stuff looks comparable to oem.

MAC the KNIFE
09-04-2013, 09:34 PM
i was very impressed with centric. they are one of the VERY few that make rotors for the cts-v2. impressed by the price mostly. $120 for a cryo-treated, already painted hat, huge piece. compared to 300$ for oem iirc. there are plenty of modded g8's that run centrics with the brembos, so i'd say they're pretty good. I haven't heard anything bad about them

DucksInARow
09-05-2013, 04:22 AM
I understand that Centric bought Power Slot a few years ago. I've used Power Slot rotors a lot. I've currently got over 100k on my current set of Power Slots.

To replace the Power Slots I'm looking at a set of drilled Centric rotors. $78 each. I paid over $100 each for my Power Slots a few years ago.

Centric is also the only manufacturer I've found that sells bonded brake shoes for our cars (rather than rivets). There are probably others that sell bonded, but again Centric shoes are particularly inexpensive.

Centric's low prices are what baffle me. They appear to be priced lower than just about every other big manufacturer. COOL! But weird.

Thanks for the input.

mosquitogang201
09-13-2013, 09:33 PM
I have the Centric PowerSlot rotors on my car as well and have been very happy with them. I can't speak for any of their other items since I have not tried them. I coupled my rotors with Hawk HPS pads.