Got the new Rack & hoses today! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Got the new Rack & hoses today!

semborski
09-05-2013, 03:23 PM
So after a year and so months not having power steering decided while the whole suspension is getting an over haul to finally do the rack. I got variable assist power steering too. Anyways feeling pretty confident about this with alldata on my side, but from anyone who has done it any advice? Its a big job and just want to make sure that its done before having to let it sit a couple days.

HenryM
09-07-2013, 12:22 PM
To initially get your alignment as close as possible to original specs....measure your rack and outer tie-rod distance between left and right. Using the zerk fittings as a reference, then install your new outers onto the new rack at the same distance, screwing in your new outers untill that distance is achieved.
Your should still get an alignment ASAP in the event the wear was such that the original rack was out of spec.

Starglow
09-07-2013, 02:23 PM
This video might help.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL6Hm8VhGqE

semborski
09-09-2013, 05:11 PM
Thanks alot. I got a engine support fixture just like that! I got it out early last night, today sat around cleaning everything with degreaser waiting for my return hose to come in ups today. Hopefully in a couple hours. Otherwise its got so smoothly. Scared me when the intermediate shaft dropped out the little column, but its made to come apart thankfully.

semborski
09-10-2013, 01:29 AM
Got it all in. Got an alignment scheduled for tomorrow.

Now a question about the alignment. Will they adjust the tie rods so my steering wheel is straight? The wheels are basically straight so that it could be driven there just fine, but I dont want to pop the tie rods to adjust the steering wheel if they will do it.

Also, if it matters, at this point it is almost upside down.

HenryM
09-10-2013, 12:16 PM
A good shop/technician will automatically center your steering wheel. But I have seen enough hacks not actually do it because "it was not asked". So CYA and mention it to the service writer.

Nick-G
09-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Sh*t hole shops like that are the reason I hate being a mechanic. If your steering wheel isn't straight when the alignment is done don't pay them.