Delay in shut off [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Delay in shut off

greddy2race
09-21-2013, 02:55 PM
I recently got my GT back after selling it because of overheating. Now I have it back and have noticed something odd. It is not bad just more of an annoyance. When I turn the car off and remove the key, the electrical power does not shut off right away. I remembered when I used to remove the key, all the dash lights would turn off, and the doors would unlock. Now there is a five second delay before any of that happens.

Any ideas?

greddy2race
09-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Anybody? Anything to narrow it down would be great....

3800L67GAM
09-23-2013, 05:46 PM
Anybody? Anything to narrow it down would be great....

Try and reset everything unhook the battery for about 10minutes and then turn it on and see if it does this again?!?! Does your car do this allot??

greddy2race
09-23-2013, 07:07 PM
It does it every time. Unfortunately the battery thing did not work either. Had to repair a starter wire, was doing it before and after. That included having the battery unhooked for about 20 minutes while I fixed the starter problem.

Someone told me that my lock could be sticking, but I hit the switch and the lock works flawlessly.

rjs_boy
09-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Have you ever replaced the ignition key switch? Mine failed a few months ago, but the symptom was different. The gauges would randomly reset like they do when you first turn the vehicle on, expect it would happen while driving, especially over rough spots in the road. However once I had the old one out and the new one worked...I dismantled the old one and the internals were definitely worn.

I would almost suspect that some of the contacts/mechanicals are sticking in this switch on your vehicle.

However that is wild speculation on my part, and is in the realm of simply throwing parts at a problem. I'm not sure how to test the theory without removing the switch unit, and if you're going to do that...you may as well consider replacing it anyways.

The part on RockAuto is referred to as "Starter Switch".

pauljs75
10-08-2013, 09:59 PM
Amost sounds like the interior light delay got involved on a circuit it shouldn't be on. (Because it's about 5-10 seconds before the lights dim after turning everything off.) But I'm just guessing, which doesn't do much without actually digging into the wiring for that stuff.