OEM CV boots? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : OEM CV boots?

AaronGTR
09-28-2013, 11:00 AM
Anyone know where I can get any OEM CV boots from (the boot only)? Or even a new OEM axle that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

I don't know why, but it seems it's impossible for an aftermarket company to make a replacement axle/boot that isn't complete sh!t!

My passenger side factory axle has 75k+ miles on it and is still great. My driver side axle got a hole in one of the CV boots when I took it to a local Pontiac dealer (long time ago) for an alignment, so I kept the axle and just took it apart and replaced the boot with an aftermarket replacement because it was cheap and easily available. A few years later that replacement boot got a hole in it, so I decided to just pull the whole axle and replace it rather than take it apart again. That was in March this year.

I couldn't find much in the way of good replacement axles online. Most that were carried at auto parts stores were the same of a couple different brands or rebranded (NAPA or whatever) but built by the same companies, and most had bad reviews. Best one I could find was a remanufactured unit from USA Industries that was supposed to use new parts and had best ratings I could find.

The axle I got from them had the same exact boot on the inner and outer CV's, were as the oem one has different boots with different number of ribs. Also the axle nut it came with was a different size, and was thinner than the factory one and I couldn't turn it down all the way because the socket I had wasn't deep enough, so I re-used my stock axle nut. Whatever... no biggy.

Fast forward six months, I take my wheels off to check things out and find the inner CV boot had a split in it. I remove the axle and take it back to advance auto for a warranty replacement. New axle I get has two different boots on inner and outer like it should have, so I figure the last one just got assembled wrong and the new one should be good. Three weeks later I look in my wheel and the inside is covered with grease. Pull it off, and the outer CV boot on the new axle popped off the outer cage (big end) of the CV joint and flung grease everywhere. Mother f**ker!!! So now I am pulling the axle AGAIN to go get another replacement. I feel like I should be sending a bill to this company for my labor for having to replace their sh!tty axle twice!

Anyway I don't know why no one can make a GOOD replacement axle, but I'm tired of dealing with it. If it goes again, I want to try and find a factory replacement. [end rant]

geldartb
09-28-2013, 11:07 AM
the factory stuff is ac delco right..

rock auto has ac delco boots for $25.. says boot kit in the description but the pic only shows 1
ACDELCO Part # 361206 {#26044380}http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1393521&cc=1359312

AaronGTR
09-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Hmm, that's interesting. I didn't think AC delco made them anymore. Only thing I wonder about is they don't list an inner and outer like the other ones on there. Maybe they work on both (although there is supposed to be a separate inner and outer). I suppose I could order a couple and see if they will fit, but at $25 a pop that would suck. I see raybestos has some inner/outer listed as professional grade/oem style replacements also that are a little cheaper. I haven't tried those before. I need to order a couple ball joints from rock auto too, so maybe I'll order some spare CV boots while I'm at it.

sugar ray
10-02-2013, 11:20 PM
Hey Aaron I feel your pain. My 02 suffered the Greece in wheel well trick!! You may laugh your azz off at this one.... Seen a YouTube video regarding a product called flex seal. Comes in a spray can and is a rubber seal once it dries. Seems to be a trick some guys are using without having to pull the shaft. You spray the hole in the boot, let dry and its sealed via rubber. Anyways that's the cheap fix for a perfectly good axle with cracked boot. When my passengers side boot split I could only blame my coolant tank. My plastic tank had a hairline crack causing coolant to spit out the overflow hose. You ever see where an over flow hose is located in a 02? Yup straight down on top of the cv boots!! Piping hot coolant can't be good for a rubber boot?

Now the good news......I replaced my bad boot cv with a new one. Wasn't going to piss around with new boots especially at the price I found!! A company called Detroit axle on eBay is literally giving away full axles at $33 each with free shipping!! I replaced mine with them and so far so good. Boot quality seems decent and haven't had any cracks yet !! Fingers crossed hope this helps

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=170900256787

AaronGTR
10-03-2013, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the heads up. If I have any more problems I'll have to look into that.

For those interested, I ended up replacing the axle with another of the same brand since it was still under warranty. The funny thing was, this had yet again a different set of boots on it. This one had the same boot on the inner CV as the second one had on the outer CV. Three ribs that are kind of rounded on the top. The outer CV on the new one was more like the oem boots, with more ribs (5-6 I think) that are more triangular shaped and sharp pointed on the edge. We'll see how this one lasts. Maybe I finally got one that they put together properly and used the right boots on. :rolleyes: