Rubbing sound when turning [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rubbing sound when turning

xalteph
10-09-2013, 07:22 AM
Whenever I turn the steering wheel left or right while driving I hear something rubbing. It sounds like it is coming from the front left and front right wheels. When moving the steering wheel for slight turns I don't hear the sound.

Also when I brake, I hear a squeal coming from the front right wheel until the car stops moving.

Starglow
10-09-2013, 07:48 AM
Whenever I turn the steering wheel left or right while driving I hear something rubbing. It sounds like it is coming from the front left and front right wheels. When moving the steering wheel for slight turns I don't hear the sound.

Also when I brake, I hear a squeal coming from the front right wheel until the car stops moving.

Hi....please update your user profile with your vehicle information which helps us answer your questions more accurately. It sounds to me like your front brake pads are worn and need to be replaced. There is a metal wear indicator on the brake pads that will hit the rotor when the pad thickness gets too low which is why it squeals.

Is the rubbing sound coming from the steering wheel itself or somewhere in the front end? Does the car have stock struts and springs? Any mods?

rjs_boy
10-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Have you ever replaced the front hub/bearing assembly?

sleepyalero
10-09-2013, 11:37 AM
i have, im sure he has as well.

very simple.

1. take off wheel.

2. remove caliper from rotor. (leave brake line on caliper, you can set it on a piece of wood or something so its not just hanging there by the line.)

3. remove rotor.

4. big 35mm or 36mm nut for the axle, in very center. i mean you cant miss it after the wheel is off. (i cant remember if there is a cotter pin as well in front of it?)

5. turn wheel all the way to the right. look on the back of the hub. (3 13mm?? bolts hold the hub on.) turn the wheel all the way right, you will be able to access 2 of those bolts. after you get those out, turn the wheel all the way left, you can then get to the last bolt.

6. few taps with a rubber hammer on the axle/tugging on the hub to slide off the axle and boom done. reinstall in reverse order.

its honestly pretty simple. first timers it will take you a bit. but after doing them a few times you can knock them out in no time.

i might have missed very minor things. but thats pretty much what is needed to get it off.

oh also!!! dont forget to unhook/unplug the ABS sensor for the hub before you start tugging. its on the back, decent sized connector, cant miss it.

xalteph
10-09-2013, 11:59 AM
I just checked and there is only a rubbing sound when turning left and it comes from the front right tire, also the body seems to tilt more onto the left when turning left but not as much for the right side or am I just imagining it?

rjs_boy
10-09-2013, 03:07 PM
Sounds like a hub assembly failure. Get it fixed ASAP.

Quick Check.
Jack the car up leaving the tire mounted and see if you can make it wiggle. Any amount of free movement is a bad sign.

H.O. Driver
10-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Check you springs, I had a factory coil spring snap in half and it lowered that corner of the car and came dangoursly close to rubbing. Especially if you live in an area that salts the roads.

PhantomLover007
10-10-2013, 10:22 AM
Splash shield in the wheel well come loose?