Need help removing a stock steering wheel.... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Need help removing a stock steering wheel....

fourPlayTruRome
10-10-2013, 05:00 PM
I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT, trying to use a puller, to get the stock wheel off, not sure how to set the angled bolts in the wheel, every time I try to tighten the center bolt, it falls up or down, some help and pics would help...

tw0123
10-10-2013, 08:50 PM
I just pulled mine off... put a small wood block on the center nut, hammered it a few good whacks, and then pulled like hell... took about 20 min to break it loose, but she came off!

fourPlayTruRome
10-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Well still got a problem, I got pb blaster, the tool kit on right, I get a straight pull, but it only pulled up on the left side, off the groves, but really was a hair off, and it pulled up and cracked the steering wheel on the left side, I tried to reset the right side closer so it would lift up on it even, but the cracked side slides up, not giving enuff tug on the right side, and I guess pinches in the groves, idk what to try next, i'm afraid of snapping the steering wheel off, to where I can't use the puller to just get the right side off, and don't wanna try to wedge it off and break the black plastic ring, under the steering wheel.. idk what else to try

sleepyalero
10-22-2013, 12:06 PM
To the dealer! Lol

fourPlayTruRome
10-23-2013, 07:53 PM
Well good news, it was cracked enuff to wiggle the steering wheel off....

sleepyalero
10-23-2013, 08:25 PM
So.... fixed?

fourPlayTruRome
10-25-2013, 11:34 PM
yes......

fourPlayTruRome
12-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Well, still got a problem, the steering wheel was crached off, I thought it was the shaft spline, but took the steering wheel column off, I ordered one from a junkyard, they said it didn't have the steering wheel on it, when it came it did have the wheel on it, so i tried the P-Blaster and the puller on it, to try to get the wheel off, but it cracked and broke just like my stock one did, I ordered another one from the same place, but they don't have any without the steering wheel, so I got to figure out how to rememove the steering wheel, when it gets here?