Camber bolt kit? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Camber bolt kit?

DucksInARow
10-11-2013, 01:07 AM
What do y'all think about the use of camber bolt kits?
Moog part number K90474 is a weird looking bolt for installation in the steering knuckle to adjust the camber on our cars. What I'm uncomfortable with is how long this thing will last and how safe it is. It's not as heavy duty of a bolt as the stock bolts.

Will these things last?
The stock bolts are supposed to be torqued down to something like 150 ft-lb.
I'm assuming the Moog bolt is supposed to be torqued the same amount, even though it's a smaller gauge bolt.

Here's a pic of the Moog part.

Starglow
10-11-2013, 04:33 AM
The first question is why are you looking at using camber bolts at all? You should not need them on a stock setup unless you install lowering springs where they might be required.

The intent of the camber bolts is to allow some knuckle movement to help adjust the wheel alignment which is why they are smaller than stock bolts. I don't have my Haynes manual handy at the moment, but I think 150 foot pounds is too high IIRC...and I think it's more like 133 foot pounds. I doubt the camber bolts would require the same torque spec, but I've heard they can move under certain conditions. I bought camber bolts for my GA but never installed them because I went with Grand Prix adjustable lateral links instead.

AaronGTR
10-11-2013, 08:06 AM
I'm not a fan.

Yes, they are a smaller bolt which technically makes them not as strong. I think they may be made of stronger metal and/or heat treated to compensate. Strength wouldn't really be an issue though unless you were on a race track. Street driving isn't going to put enough stress on it to break anything.

As starglow pointed out though, you don't need camber adjustment for stock springs. You don't really need any camber adjustment unless you are lowered over an inch. I've tried these bolts before (same design, but Ingalls brand) and they didn't stay in place. I thought I needed them because I was lowered on Eibachs. Had the car aligned with those bolts in place. 6 months later it was pulling to one side on the freeway. Took it in for an alignment check, and the bolts had shifted in the holes, allowing the camber to change and be different on each side making it pull.

I was pretty sure I installed them correctly, and hopefully the alignment tech torqued them correctly. No idea why they shifted, but I don't trust them and haven't tried them since.

xUnderCoverHoBo
10-11-2013, 09:17 AM
What HAVENT you tried aaron. You try everything at least once

Shade2012
10-11-2013, 10:25 AM

Just like sik's mom.

sleepyalero
10-11-2013, 02:33 PM
hahaha.

just as everyone else said. you dont need it unless the car is lowered. even then you might not need them.

im using KYB GR2 struts, canuck springs (1.75'-2' drop) and moog/monroe strut mounts. took the car to the dealer after install and got it aligned. everything got into spec fine, and no camber kit needed.

some need it some dont.

AaronGTR
10-11-2013, 04:43 PM

lol Yeah, pretty much. I had the caspers TPS modifier way back in the day (worthless!). I tried the Pro-M MAF (also worthless, didn't run right). I tried using an Apexi AFC maf tuner once (didn't work, wrong king of maf signal). Tried the SSBC brake kit before going to Baer. Had the SD hood before the Cerious CF sc/t hood (still have it but it's damaged). I've tried a lot of things.

sleepyalero
10-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Its good to have someone who has tried things here.