Brake lights staying on after car is shut off... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Brake lights staying on after car is shut off...

Marschmellau
10-29-2013, 09:01 PM
Where to start, where to start.

My car was towed last week due to expired plates (ah the joys of being unemployed!). It was towed with the rear end on the sling, so the front end was on the ground.

When I got my vehicle back yesterday, I noticed that the brake lights/tail lights will not shut off even after my car is shut off. I pointed it out to the lady who in turn said "Well, looks like you've got an electrical problem then" in a snarky tone.

I pulled the brake light switch as well as the wiring, and tested both. Both seem to be working correctly.. but when I pulled the switch, the lights stayed ON even with the car off. The only thing that works to shut the damn things off is the J20 fuse, but that's only a temporary fix and I shouldn't even be on the road with this thing.

At this point, I'm at a loss as to where to go from here... has anyone come across this before? any suggestions? It's almost 11 years old and honestly I'm not willing to throw hundreds of dollars into an electrical diag if I don't absolutely need to.

EDIT: If I press the brake pedal, the lights don't illuminate like they should.. it's as though the DRL are staying on?

TruGreenGAGT
10-29-2013, 09:11 PM
who ever towed it focked something up since the GA is FWD.
I'm guessing something in the transmission, unless the car was shifted into Neutral.
then I have no idea...

Marschmellau
10-29-2013, 09:30 PM
I'm guessing something in the transmission, unless the car was shifted into Neutral.
then I have no idea...
Yeah... They threw it in neutral.

When I got the car back, the battery was completely dead. They had to jump start it to even get it back to me.

I had no issues until this tow company came around...

My boyfriend noticed that the carpet in my trunk was all funky, too.. he's thinking they possibly screwed with the wiring. :(

TruGreenGAGT
10-29-2013, 09:36 PM
to my knowledge there is no wiring in the trunk except for the stero speakers/amp and rear lights.

few things to check would be the wheel hub sensors each wheel bearing has a plug. check and make sure all 4 are plugged in tight and no broken wires.

then can also check the e-brake handle theres a switch that when the handle is pulled turns the dash light on... its possible that got damaged or is stuck.

really though best i got, after that have to wait for someone else to chime in

AaronGTR
10-29-2013, 10:09 PM
They are still focking idiots for towing it like that. The battery was dead because they have to leave the key in with the ignition on to keep it in neutral. You can't shift it into neutral and take the key out. They should have towed it from the front with it back end on the ground, that's how it's supposed to be done.

Don't really understand why they would tow your car for expired plates either? I'm from MI and they don't usually do that here. You would just get a ticket. Anyway...

When you say you pulled the brake light switch, what exactly are you talking about? Did you pull down the trim piece under the dash and look at the switch on the brake pedal? There are actually two white plastic push button switches there. One activates the brake lights, and the other deactivates/disables the cruise control. Both are adjustable I believe. When the brake pedal is out (foot off the brakes) it pushes those two switches in. When you press the pedal down, it goes away from the switches and activates them. It's not uncommon for a little slop in the pedal or shifting of the switch in it's holder to make the lights stay on, even when the pedal is out. Try pulling out on the pedal and/or adjusting the position of the switch in the holder, so that the switch is pressed in all the way, and see if they go off.

TruGreenGAGT
10-29-2013, 10:18 PM
oh snap darn my reading i thought first time i read you were meaning the "BRAKE" light in the dash.... but you are talking about the lights on the rear of the car.

are you sure its the brake lights and not the running lights?
is the 3rd brake light in the trunk lid also lit up??

Marschmellau
10-29-2013, 10:27 PM
then I have no idea...

They are still focking idiots for towing it like that. The battery was dead because they have to leave the key in with the ignition on to keep it in neutral. You can't shift it into neutral and take the key out. They should have towed it from the front with it back end on the ground, that's how it's supposed to be done.

Don't really understand why they would tow your car for expired plates either? I'm from MI and they don't usually do that here. You would just get a ticket. Anyway...

When you say you pulled the brake light switch, what exactly are you talking about? Did you pull down the trim piece under the dash and look at the switch on the brake pedal? There are actually two white plastic push button switches there. One activates the brake lights, and the other deactivates/disables the cruise control. Both are adjustable I believe. When the brake pedal is out (foot off the brakes) it pushes those two switches in. When you press the pedal down, it goes away from the switches and activates them. It's not uncommon for a little slop in the pedal or shifting of the switch in it's holder to make the lights stay on, even when the pedal is out. Try pulling out on the pedal and/or adjusting the position of the switch in the holder, so that the switch is pressed in all the way, and see if they go off.

That's exactly what I did. Pulled the trim down, pulled the switch and even with the switch in my hand, completely removed, the lights are still on.. as if the DRL are on.

It got towed because my community that I live in is a bunch of idiots. :)

Marschmellau
10-29-2013, 10:29 PM
oh snap darn my reading i thought first time i read you were meaning the "BRAKE" light in the dash.... but you are talking about the lights on the rear of the car.

are you sure its the brake lights and not the running lights?
is the 3rd brake light in the trunk lid also lit up??

Sorry for the confusion! It's the tail lights. Not exactly sure if it's the DRL or the brake lights. Whenever I press on the pedal, the brake lights don't illuminate like they normally do... The top half does, but the entire bottom strip doesn't illuminate at all except when I put it into reverse, all the lights are fine.

The 3rd brake light is also staying on, even when the car is completely off.

I'm losing my mind with this. :(

TruGreenGAGT
10-29-2013, 10:30 PM
aaron is saying the the switch needs to be pushed in for the lights to be off... so by removing the switch is the same as pushing the pedal which open the circuit.
you need a closed circuit for the light to be off

TruGreenGAGT
10-29-2013, 10:32 PM
Sorry for the confusion! It's the tail lights. Not exactly sure if it's the DRL or the brake lights. Whenever I press on the pedal, the brake lights don't illuminate like they normally do... The top half does, but the entire bottom strip doesn't illuminate at all except when I put it into reverse, all the lights are fine.

The 3rd brake light is also staying on, even when the car is completely off.

I'm losing my mind with this. :(

the DRL only affects the headlights which turn on when the car is in drive and shut off when in park.

i would do as already stated re-install the switch and adjust it so thats its fully pushed in

also on the GA the top half is the running and brake lights. the bottom part is the turn signal and reverse lights.

Marschmellau
10-29-2013, 10:36 PM
the DRL only affects the headlights which turn on when the car is in drive and shut off when in park.

i would do as already stated re-install the switch and adjust it so thats its fully pushed in

also on the GA the top half is the running and brake lights. the bottom part is the turn signal and reverse lights.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a tard today. Still got quite a bit of learning to do 8)

I'm gonna go give it a try.. I'll report back with my results.

Marschmellau
10-29-2013, 11:05 PM
Okay..

After further conclusion, both the brake switch and the CC switch were pulled out by the idiots working for the tow company when they hooked some strap up to the steering wheel. The threads are completely stripped.

Looks like I'll be on the hunt for some of those tomorrow. :)

Thank you guys!!

TruGreenGAGT
10-29-2013, 11:08 PM
local junkyard would be best bet.
at least its an easy fix, and man that tow company is stoopid as fock.

Marschmellau
10-29-2013, 11:16 PM
local junkyard would be best bet.
at least its an easy fix, and man that tow company is stoopid as fock.

Yeah, I'm relatively pissed. They're a bunch of downriver rats, no joke. Not only are they idiots, they're unprofessional... I also found out they don't have a valid business license in the state of MI, so I'll be calling LARA about them as well.

I found the mounting bushing on rockauto for $1.88, so I'm just gonna order a few of them and keep 'em handy. 8)

AaronGTR
10-30-2013, 08:39 AM
Yeah, I kept having the problem with my lights staying on even the the pedal wasn't being pressed. The switch was a little loose in it's bracket... there are a bunch of little teeth on the switch body that are supposed fit into notches in the holding bracket, but if it's loose it will work it's way back over time. Then the switch won't push in all the way anymore and the lights stay on. I solved my problem by just putting some super glue on the teeth, adjusting it to the right position, and holding it until it was dry. Doesn't move now. :)