Had some codes pulled what is B1298? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Had some codes pulled what is B1298?

lone_wolf025
11-20-2013, 03:09 PM
Car must not be happy that it hasn't been driven much cuz its having a fit now that I'm driving it again. Got a check engine light - not worried about that it was just the O2 primary and an evap leak- and earlier the SVS light combo tripped.

I've had the infamous SVS/Trac Off/ABS light pop on before but its always intermittent and goes away with the next key cycle. Codes were for no signal on both rears and "excessive speed" (another bad sensor?) on right front.

What interests me is this body code B1298. Looked it up and found "B1298 - Power Supply Sensor Circuit Short To Battery --- That's a body trouble code. It has to do with the injector circuit." Any ideas on what's going on? Maybe a corroded ground?

Btw any recommendations on brands of bearings?

bricooper78
11-20-2013, 07:44 PM
If she just starting throwing a bunch of codes, the first thing I would check would be the connections for the computer and the BCM,if they're clear, the ground *from the battery to the frame* and maybe even have the battery and alternator checked, just for good measure. Once all those come back clear.

Something car specific, I sure don't know, but just generally, that would be my personal first course of action.

was it doing the wheel bearing issue before, or all these pop up at once?

plastic_indian
11-20-2013, 07:49 PM
Are you certain it is a body code and not a chassis code?

Straight from SI:
PRELIMINARY INFORMATION (PI)
Subject: ABS Light, DTC C1298 Diagnostics Information - keywords battery brake connection fuse ignition inoperative lamp PCM switch voltage #PIC4060 - (05/10/2006)

Models: 1999-2005 Pontiac Grand Am 1999-2005 Oldsmobile Alero

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
A tech may have difficulty finding information on DTC C1298. The information is not in available service information.

Recommendation/Instructions:
The DTC C1298 indicates either the EBCM is not transmitting information to the PCM or the PCM is not receiving information from the EBCM. The TAC cases indicate that the EBCM grounds or applied ignition voltage is the most common cause of the code setting, outside of an EBCM failure. The particular grounds in question are G102, G103, and G105. The applied ignition voltage is fed by the ignition switch, circuit 3, through the ABS/EVO/IGN 15 amp fuse in the underhood fuse block to pin A11 of the EBCM on circuit 139.

Checking and qualifying these circuits should lead the technician to the cause of the DTC setting.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

G102 is at the bellhousing front side of engine, 103 I think is the one below the airbox on left inner fender, 105 is near the battery.

Oh, and TAC in all that alphabet soup is not a module or component - it's the Technical Assistance Center (GM's dealer network dial-a-tech service)

bricooper78
11-20-2013, 08:09 PM
Mark swoops in with actual phenomenal info!!! :applause: You're like Batman, just when we think you've left, BOOM! Here to save us!!!

lone_wolf025
11-21-2013, 07:59 AM
bicooper78 - The O2 code is old news. It's been popping up like fairly consistently on the key cycle immediately after a highway speed trip. After a few warm up - cool down city driving cycles it typically goes away until the next trip.

The SVS/ABS/Trac Off shows up once every month or so. Its never consistent and always goes away after a key cycle and usually comes on when I haven't driven the car in a while. Pattern has been the car sits for a few weeks, gets driven and throws the SVS codes within a few cycles, then if driven it doesn't show up again for a long time or until the pattern is repeated. The B1298 is new to me.

plastic_indian - I am certain it is a body code. I saw the readout on the scanner and it was clearly a B. Only way it could be a C is if the code reader somehow displayed the wrong letter

sleepyalero
11-21-2013, 09:19 AM
id go to napa for a wheel bearing honestly... ive had my napa brand wheel bearings on for 4 years with no lights coming on for it. :)

bricooper78
11-21-2013, 06:54 PM
I've had that abs christmas cluster happen like 3 times, every time getting gas, not shutting all the way off... and had to cycle the key to fix it. Mine has never offered up a code related to it tho.

I'd dig through those connections, you're in for LONG TEDIOUS work, so be prepared to be real, real patient.

lone_wolf025
11-21-2013, 08:42 PM
Sounds like all kinds of fun waiting to happen.

plastic_indian
11-21-2013, 09:10 PM
I am certain it is a body code. I saw the readout on the scanner and it was clearly a B. Only way it could be a C is if the code reader somehow displayed the wrong letter

What equipment are you retrieving DTCs with? 1298 isn't 'supposed' to exist as a B code (according to SI, anyway...). If you were using a common code reader, get your hands on a good bidirectional scan tool, verify the code, verify all the modules are alive and talking, and start poring over all the data looking for something wonky.

Also, I should have asked earlier, but - where did you find the 'short to battery' definition?

lone_wolf025
11-25-2013, 02:29 PM
I just had autozone do the free code read. As for the code definition I found it off http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t16772_ds540749