Vents blow cold unless i press the gas. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Vents blow cold unless i press the gas.

burntliquid
11-24-2013, 11:49 PM
hieverybody... i have a 99 grand am gt. for some reason my heater vents are blowing cold air. when i hold the gas pedal down a little bit they start blowing hot but if i let off the gas they go back to blowing cold. after about 10-15 minutes of driving they stay blowing hot. my temp gage is where is supposed to be. i have already replaced the water pump and it made no difference. i am not losing coolant.

please help its freezing outside!

rjs_boy
11-25-2013, 01:54 AM
I'd suspect a failed thermostat. If the thermostat is sticking partially open it will take a long time to get up to temp.

burntliquid
11-25-2013, 09:53 AM
I'd suspect a failed thermostat. If the thermostat is sticking partially open it will take a long time to get up to temp.

i will try that this week sometime and let you know if it helps :) thank you for your reply

[ChaosweaveR]
11-25-2013, 12:48 PM
The thermostat isn't the source of the issue. If the thermostat was sticking, you'd be having overheating issues, or not coming up to to proper temp.

What it sounds like is the heater core could be clogged up. When was the last time the coolant system was replaced and flushed?

greddy2race
11-28-2013, 05:43 PM
It could also be an air bubble in the system, this happens to me a lot. But then again I need to do my LIM gaskets.

bricooper78
11-28-2013, 06:10 PM
The heat/cold selector is vacuum drawn. Giving it gas would increase the vacuum and cause it to switch over. The selector baffle is under the steering wheel, basically sits right above your right shin. It's cheap, and easy to change.

That's my vote. If I'm wrong, I've cost you 5 bucks lol good luck man!

burntliquid
12-02-2013, 10:26 AM
i flushed my heater core by taking off both of the hoses on the engine side and spraying in both ends multiple time with the garden hose. its working better than it was for sure but still not completely fixed. it now takes longer to cool back down when i let off the gas and it goes to slightly warm instead of cold.

burntliquid
12-02-2013, 10:29 AM
It could also be an air bubble in the system, this happens to me a lot. But then again I need to do my LIM gaskets.

i changed my LIM gaskets about 6 months ago but didnt get enough gasket maker on the sides of the manifold and have a decent oil leak so im going to have to do them again in a couple weeks.

greddy2race
12-03-2013, 02:54 PM
I did the forbidden temporary fix. Block sealer. But when you are on a budget and its your only car, you do what you gotta do. But when it starts to warm up again I will buckle down and do them.

burntliquid
12-17-2013, 06:49 PM
i changed the intake gaskets thermostat and plugs and wires. heat problem persists...next im replacing the heater core.

rocketfast123
12-17-2013, 07:25 PM
Turn the temp all the way to hot, and then turn back about 2 or 3 clicks. My GA had that problem where it wouldn't blow hot if the temp was all the way.

The heat/cold selector is vacuum drawn. Giving it gas would increase the vacuum and cause it to switch over. The selector baffle is under the steering wheel, basically sits right above your right shin. It's cheap, and easy to change.

That's my vote. If I'm wrong, I've cost you 5 bucks lol good luck man!

I like that answer too

Megatronn
12-26-2013, 07:12 AM
Sounds like low coolant to me. Also could be stuck thermostat. If it's stuck closed the hot air cant get into the cabin, increasing the RPM's could push some through. Also make sure your tensioner are belt are tight enough. I strongly doubt it's heater core.

burntliquid
12-26-2013, 09:18 PM
ive replaced the intake gaskets, water pump, thermostat, and heater core. my coolant is not low. i think its the blend door. when i turn the hot/cold dial i hear it squeaking inside.