How to display an engine code without reader [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How to display an engine code without reader

blondiez24gt
12-01-2013, 08:56 PM
I have incurred a problem. I have a 2003 Grand am Gt, the check engine light came on today. I took it to get it scanned , and my OBD2 port is not working (already checked the fuses etc for this btw). So my question is, is there a way for me to get the code without using the OBD2 port? I know with some cars you can do it with the odometer, etc.. Is there any way to do this with the Grand Am? Thanks in advance for any help you can give :confused:

ItsMeScottG
12-01-2013, 09:10 PM
I have incurred a problem. I have a 2003 Grand am Gt, the check engine light came on today. I took it to get it scanned , and my OBD2 port is not working (already checked the fuses etc for this btw). So my question is, is there a way for me to get the code without using the OBD2 port? I know with some cars you can do it with the odometer, etc.. Is there any way to do this with the Grand Am? Thanks in advance for any help you can give :confused:

Personally, I would have the car diagnosed by someone who has a good amount of mechanical knowledge.

blondiez24gt
12-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Its almost acting like a sensor is bad. It is missing at idol, just would like to narrow it down and fix it myself.

AaronGTR
12-01-2013, 09:54 PM
If the check engine light is on, there should be a code. Are you sure it's the "service engine soon" and not the "service vehicle soon" light? Most powertrain code readers won't read svs codes. Also certain brands or types of code readers only work with certain cars. My guess is someone tried checking yours with the wrong type of code reader. Either that or there's a problem with your OBD2 plug.

Anyway, without the OBD port and a reader... no, there is no other way to get the code. You could try going to the dealership, if you don't mine paying the $60 or whatever diagnosis fee. They'll use a Tech2 which will read any kind of code it has including history codes, or they'll be able to figure out if the port has an issue.

blondiez24gt
12-01-2013, 11:22 PM
No it is a an engine light on. The service vehicle light is on also for an abs sensor. I went to autozone to get it scanned. The guy said it won't pick up your obd2 port check your fuses. So I checked every single fuse in the car. All were good.....He hooked it back up, and said somethings wrong with your port it wont power on my scanner(He said it automatically powers on when plugged in). So I thought maybe the kid was a bit goofy, and didn't know what he was talking about. So I drive across the road over to advance auto parts! lol The guy comes out plugs in his scanner, and says hmmm thats weird...I said what. He said its not detecting your vehicle. He wiggled the port around, and a light went on on the scanner. It said error unable to retrieve codes or something like that. He kept trying it, and it kept doing this. He said there must be something wrong with your plug or something...So now I am not sure what to do......The water pump went bad in it, and the car started to overheat. I caught it pretty quick, and shut the car off. Then limped it home without overheating it. I replaced the water pump, but ever since I shut it off it has a miss at idle, and a check engine light. It acts like a sensor, but not sure where to start...I' sure the engine code would help....

sleepyalero
12-02-2013, 12:30 AM
well just to be sure.... the fuse for the obd port is in the driver side fuse panel (interior of car) you said you checked all fuses... but just saying that to be sure....

anyway idk about sensor.... what about your plugs and wires?

AaronGTR
12-02-2013, 07:43 AM
Sounds like you've got a wire on the port with a short or bad connection. Time to start checking the wires.

blondiez24gt
12-02-2013, 11:01 AM
which fuse number is for the OBD2 port? Or what is it labeled?

sleepyalero
12-02-2013, 11:17 AM
On my alero it is fuse I or fuse L on the driver side of dash. Cant remember which one exactly it was. But its one of those two

blondiez24gt
12-02-2013, 11:20 AM
Thanks so much, I will try that tonight after work...

stewartfn18
12-02-2013, 03:15 PM
not to jump to any conclusions but in my experience no comms with the pcm though the obd port means bad pcm, but that should be a last resort.

sleepyalero
12-02-2013, 04:18 PM
yeah could also be it. but lets not assume that until all else fails. :)

xUnderCoverHoBo
12-02-2013, 04:53 PM
My abs, trac off, and service soon lights came on. :(

blondiez24gt
12-02-2013, 04:57 PM
Ok, the car is idling horribly, until the point it wont even stay running hardly. When you get up to speed it corrects a little bit, but you can feel the loss of power. The Service Engine Soon light is flashing like crazy at me. But like I said before when they try to scan it, it wont communicate. Any ideas, I know it could be a million things, so just trying to narrow it down a little bit so I do not buy part after part for no reason, and I do not really trust mechanics around here lol Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks in advance. :iconfused

HOYS
12-02-2013, 04:57 PM
not to jump to any conclusions but in my experience no comms with the pcm though the obd port means bad pcm, but that should be a last resort.

No comms through the PCM would mean there would most likely be more issues like BCM codes. There is a code (B1000?) for no communication. You would have a SVS light if this was the case.

Check continuity between the PCM connections and the OBD port. Also check to make sure you are getting 12v and a good ground. You might have fine communication but as the guy at the parts store said, his tool wasn't getting any power.

xUnderCoverHoBo
12-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Has anyone had their abs, service vehicle soon, and trac off lights on? All 3 popped up yesterday for me. Dont mean to interupt the thread

blondiez24gt
12-02-2013, 07:55 PM
When all three of those popped up on mine, it was a bad bad wheel bearing (or at least the sensor that is on the wheel bearing)...

xUnderCoverHoBo
12-02-2013, 09:36 PM
Yay..

sleepyalero
12-02-2013, 09:41 PM
yeah hobo wheel bearing....

xUnderCoverHoBo
12-03-2013, 12:16 AM
Frack. Not cheap and not fun to replace

blondiez24gt
12-03-2013, 12:40 AM
Ok guys the car is showing some more symptoms. It will not get up to speed now, and it stinks horribly of a rotten egg smell. The car idles horribly. It will jump from 300-400rpms up to 700-800, and do that for a minute then level out at the lower end and miss badly. When you start driving it. It has about 1/4 of the power it usually has. You have to really get on it to get it up to 40 mph. Thats about as fast as it will go. It smells horribly of rotten eggs. Just wondering if you guys had any thoughts about what it could be with this symptom?

xundercoverhobo, The wheel bearing is not that complicated to change. Jack the car up. Take the wheel off. Take the brake caliper, and bracket off. Then pull of the rotor. Next loosen the axle nut. Then there are 3 or 4 bolts holding the hub assembly on. Take them out and it will come right off. Its about a 15-20 minute job with air tools. The hub assembly is about 80-90 bucks...

AaronGTR
12-03-2013, 06:58 AM
Could be a bad miss fire (usually what the flashing SES light means) and/or a plugged cat.

You really need to figure out the OBD port issue so you can read the codes before you can diagnose the problem though. It might be a problem with the wiring connection to the port, but it could also be a bad PCM. If that's the case, it could actually be the PCM causing all the other problems too, and not something else. Sort out that issue first, then diagnose from there if the problem persists.

stewartfn18
12-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Ok guys the car is showing some more symptoms. It will not get up to speed now, and it stinks horribly of a rotten egg smell. The car idles horribly. It will jump from 300-400rpms up to 700-800, and do that for a minute then level out at the lower end and miss badly. When you start driving it. It has about 1/4 of the power it usually has. You have to really get on it to get it up to 40 mph. Thats about as fast as it will go. It smells horribly of rotten eggs. Just wondering if you guys had any thoughts about what it could be with this symptom?

well see now that flashing light is your car telling you to stop driving it because you are about to fvck sh1t up. flashing typically means severe misfire and possible damage to the catalyst may occur. by the sounds of it you driving the car is just making your repair bill bigger. if this is something you cant figure out in your driveway, then you need to have it towed to a reputable mechanic. first as to not further damage the car and to find out why the scanners are not communicating with the pcm. as for the comment about the bcm, that is a moot point. if the bcm were bad, the car would have a svs light, and other symptoms not relating to drivability like the symptoms he is describing. not an SES light. that is specifically a pcm/engine/drivetrain problem.

edit: op you need to check all your accessory fuses and report back. i would highly advise that you do not drive the car anymore until the issue is resolved, as it already sound like youve completely destroyed the cat

blondiez24gt
12-04-2013, 08:33 AM
Yea, I only drove it to autozone after I put the water pump on to get it scanned. I have tried having a couple people diagnose it in our driveway. That is where it started the new symptoms......I trailered it to a shop yesterday evening. Hoping to hear something later on... People keep telling me blown headgasket......but there is no water in oil, or vice versa....I have never had a blown headgasket before, but it just doesnt really act like the symptoms....I thought maybe a clogged cat, because of the rotten egg smell. There seems to be quite a bit of air coming out of the exhaust though...... I didn't drive the car as much as it sounds like...Just starting the car sitting still the light flashes. I've only drove it about 5 miles since the problems started....

rocketfast123
12-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Check the horn fuse, i saw on here or gaoc that is powers the obd port.

sleepyalero
12-04-2013, 12:16 PM
like 5 fuses in the driver side fuse panel somehow connect to the obd port...

HOYS
12-04-2013, 12:35 PM
http://www.obdexperts.co.uk/images/J1962-female.gif

Pin 16 is 12v non switched

Pin 5 is Ground.

Check this with a DMM before doing anything else to the car or driving it.

blondiez24gt
12-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Just heard from the mechanic. He fixed the obd2 port....Haven't got to talk to him about what was wrong with the obd2 port yet....He said it is showing misfire on cylinder 1, 3, and 4. He said new spark plugs, and wires will fix it......Kinda weird I thought.....Luckily I bought all the stuff for a tune-up a couple months ago and haven't done it yet. He said it is fine to drive home like it is.....??? So I am going to get it now. I'll do th eplugs, and wires myself. He isn't charging me anything.....Friend of my Dads! So Thats nice..... I'll let you guys know if the plugs, and wires fix it...

stewartfn18
12-04-2013, 04:24 PM
http://www.obdexperts.co.uk/images/J1962-female.gif

Pin 16 is 12v non switched

Pin 5 is Ground.

Check this with a DMM before doing anything else to the car or driving it.

i was gonna post something like this as well, but figured by previous posts from the OP it would be over his head. so i didnt waste my time. i will say though, that post was more useful than your other one about the bcm...just giving you ****

blondiez24gt
12-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Over my head?? I don't understand why your acting like that? I just was asking for some help trying to figure out a way to get the codes. I didn't want to go blindly fixing stuff if it was something else....Knowing what code, or codes it was throwing would help me narrow it down. I don't really have the money to fix everything it could have been.. thats why I wanted to retrieve the codes....BTW I am a female.......

stewartfn18
12-04-2013, 05:37 PM
i was gonna post something like this as well, but figured by previous posts from the OP it would be over her head. so i didnt waste my time. i will say though, that post was more useful than your other one about the bcm...just giving you ****

better?

blondiez24gt
12-04-2013, 06:42 PM
WTF? Ok no since in even acknowledging you.......Evidently common sense goes over your head....Plus if you're going to be a smarta** why even say anything? I never claimed to be a professional mechanic.....I was asking for help to solve an issue I wasn't sure about......:loser

AaronGTR
12-04-2013, 06:59 PM
i was gonna post something like this as well, but figured by previous posts from the OP it would be over his head. so i didnt waste my time. i will say though, that post was more useful than your other one about the bcm...just giving you ****

Really dude? come on... that was a little unnecessary.

sleepyalero
12-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Theres alot of kids here ;)

blondiez24gt
12-05-2013, 06:04 AM
Well guys. I was getting ready to start tearing into the car. As I started it up to pull it in the garage I could hear a ticking noise. It sounded oddly familiar. When I got this car, I got it super cheap. The guy said it needed a headgasket repaired, and a new head. Upon further inspection it was just a couple rocker suds pulled loose. Well when I heard that ticking today it sounded the same.

I pulled the valve covers......Sure enough there are a couple more pulled loose......So I guess I should have just helicoiled them all when I fixed the couple that had pulled out when the car was purchased.. I've got to make a trip to autozone to get helicoils.
What size do I need for these again? Also what gap do the spark plugs need to be? I couldn't hear the ticking noise until I was actually pulling the car into the garage......So I hope fixing those, and new plugs/wires will solve all the issues....

sleepyalero
12-05-2013, 08:04 AM
I forget on plugs...

These cars have lifter tick and piston slap. Its a common noise that shouldnt really be worried about. If they in fact did come loose. 167 ft lbs is what the rockers need to be torqued to I believe it was.

AaronGTR
12-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Loose rockers would probably make it run poorly. Still doesn't explain your issue with the obd port though, so I'd still look into that. Stock plug gap should be .06"

blondiez24gt
12-05-2013, 12:43 PM
The obd2 port was corroded on the back side I guess. The mechanic pulled it apart, and cleaned it. He said it was pretty simple to fix. Thats part of why he didnt charge me anything. So the studs on 2003 plus grand ams are 8mm right?

blondiez24gt
12-05-2013, 12:46 PM
also I've got the acdelco iridium spark plugs...It shows them pregapped to .045. Should I put them to .06, or is the iridiums better to what they were pregapped. I didn't want to end up hurting the fine tip on the iridiums...

HOYS
12-05-2013, 01:17 PM

I guess Corvette humor is something over my head.

blondiez24gt
12-05-2013, 01:19 PM
evidently for everyone.!.!:D

stewartfn18
12-05-2013, 07:10 PM
I guess Corvette humor is something over my head.

how was any of my posts related to the car i drive?

HOYS
12-05-2013, 08:03 PM
how was any of my posts related to the car i drive?

http://www.corvetteforum.com/Classic-Corvette-Ad-Superiority-Complex.JPG

stewartfn18
12-05-2013, 09:25 PM
thats good...thanks for the new avatar

xUnderCoverHoBo
12-06-2013, 12:03 AM
My problems was a left front speed sensor, and an oil pressure sensor.

rjs_boy
12-06-2013, 01:05 AM
i forget on plugs...

These cars have lifter tick and piston slap. Its a common noise that shouldnt really be worried about. If they in fact did come loose. 167 ft lbs is what the rockers need to be torqued to i believe it was.

Inch LBS ... Not Foot LBS

blondiez24gt
12-06-2013, 07:19 AM
The spark plugs I have are the denso Iridium spark plugs.....I thought I got the acdelco, but didn't. The website for denso says pre gapped at .044. I looked up some on there info and thats what it reccomends for the grand am.....So should I gap them, and risk damaging the electrode? Or just go with the .044?

AaronGTR
12-06-2013, 09:36 AM
The spark plugs I have are the denso Iridium spark plugs.....I thought I got the acdelco, but didn't. The website for denso says pre gapped at .044. I looked up some on there info and thats what it reccomends for the grand am.....So should I gap them, and risk damaging the electrode? Or just go with the .044?

With iridium tips, no I would not gap them. I'd leave them at what they are at. It's just not the recommended gap. GM recommends .06". I'm surprised yours are .044 because I've used Denso and NGK's before and they were gapped .055. They were different heat range from stock though.

A smaller gap makes it easier for the spark to jump, which is why boosted engines sometimes run a smaller gap to keep the higher cylinder pressures from "blowing out" the spark and making a misfire. A wider gap makes it easier for the spark to be exposed to the air/fuel mixture though which makes for easier light off and better combustion. They usually recommend running the largest gap spec'd unless you have a misfire. In your case with a basically stock engine though, it's not going to matter one way or the other. .06 would be better, but running .016 less gap is not going to hurt your engine. ;)

blondiez24gt
12-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Well just finished up! It runs excellent, and the service engine light went out!:D I pulled off the back valve cover, and cylinder 3's rocker arm studs were pulled loose. I drilled them out, tapped them, and put heli-coil inserts in. Then put them back in and torqued them. I then checked the torque on the others, and there were a couple that weren't torqued down all the way.

I pulled all the spark plugs......Man what a mess.....There were 3 different types of spark plugs! They were all gapped differently. The closest to being right was .065. The others were all scattered from.075 to .085! :eek: I could also see where the plug wires were arcing on the insulator of the plug....So new spark plugs, plug wires, and fixing the rocker studs solved the issue. Idles, and runs great now. Thanks to everyone for the help!

AaronGTR
12-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Good to hear.

Yeah, you should always run the same plugs all the way around, with the same gap. And make sure the plug wires are in good shape and pushed on all the way. You were probably getting a severe misfire.

blondiez24gt
12-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Yea I know! I can't believe I haven't had a misfire til now! I usually change the plugs, and wires as soon as I get a car, but this one I didn't for some reason........