what trans to use [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : what trans to use

royaldboy26
12-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Anybody know if i can use a 440t4 trans in my 01 grandam gt 3400 was told only reason i couldnt is because of the passenger side halfshaft being to short but im sure i could get one made to fit

AaronGTR
12-11-2013, 11:44 AM
I've never even heard of a 440t4 trans. I think maybe you meant a 4t40e?

You would not want to use that trans for several reasons. That is the auto trans for the 4 cylinder grand ams. It's possible there may be a difference in the length of one of the output shafts so it might not match up to your axles properly, I'm not really sure on that point. I do know however that it's not rated to handle the torque your V6 engine makes. It also doesn't have the correct final drive ratio.

You want a 4t45e and you want one out of a GT like yours, because the 4t45e also had different final drive ratios between the GT and the V6 SE. Try and get one from '03-04 if you can. They will have less miles and will have all the improvements GM made up through 2003.

royaldboy26
12-11-2013, 12:06 PM
The 440t4 was renamed the 4t60 they can be witch the only difference between the two are the name they were used on 94 grandams 2.8/3.1/3.4 i plan on making alot of power and need a trans to hold up if the 4t60 was use on older grandams then i should be good to go i think heard i could use halfshaft out of buick my car is rated to make around 400hp

sleepyalero
12-11-2013, 03:02 PM
4t65e (grand prix trans)

Getrag 282 5 speed (beretta and other car trans)

4t45e (stock)

F40 6 speed (g6)

Those are your options.

Wait. Your car is rated to 400 hp..... I wont believe you until I see pics and mod list. Sorry. Not trying to be mean. But we have plenty of idiots here who say this and that with there cars thats nothing but bs.

ItsMeScottG
12-11-2013, 03:14 PM
I seriously doubt 400HP.

royaldboy26
12-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Car wony be done till around march just motor will be making 260/270 hp before turbo so figure around or between 350/400 after turbo block 30 over heads done tb injectors nice cam port and polish headers flowmasters crank ecu wont really know till im done ive never done a 3400 first time but from what the desktop dyno says that with that motor built up with turbo at 10/11 psi should put me around the 350 /400 mark but like i said wont really kno till its done and it get dyno tuned

royaldboy26
12-11-2013, 03:56 PM
But what about the 4t60 out of the 94 grandam and is the 4t65e pulg and play

[ChaosweaveR]
12-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Oh, one of THESE threads...

Kayaus
12-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Trans swap... from a Grand Prix... plug and play... ?

royaldboy26
12-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Meaning no diy work

sleepyalero
12-11-2013, 04:41 PM
I doubt the 4t60 will work. I gave you the trans options

What is port and polished headers and flowmaster crank?

young gun
12-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Choices choices choices...

http://memecrunch.com/meme/AT6Q/not-again/image.png

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRk8iztJ4vnXvwYzFumQgKz-4jhnHOrWqXk95qBVqo1fZrVuOE0

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/131/351/eb6.jpg?1307463786

http://troll.me/images/y-u-no-guy/nooooooo-not-again.jpg

http://troll.me/images/obama-isnt-happy/not-this-****-again.jpg

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/43773398.jpg

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/43773434.jpg

young gun
12-11-2013, 04:45 PM
Meaning no diy work

The only non diy work is to take your 4t45 and have it built and put it back and plug it in. Then play.

The second "fastest" GA on this forum runs a built 4t45

ItsMeScottG
12-11-2013, 04:49 PM
The only non diy work is to take your 4t45 and have it built and put it back and plug it in. Then play.

The second "fastest" GA on this forum runs a built 4t45

I'm curious as to what car are you speaking of?

royaldboy26
12-11-2013, 04:59 PM
So the 4t45 will hold up had a couple people tell me they wont

Upper and lower port and polished lt1 springs 65mm tb 1.6 rockers on ex 1.5 on intake 28lb injectors new crank
Heads were done ill have everything listed when done with car just wanted other options for a trans sleepyalero thanks for the input

royaldboy26
12-11-2013, 05:00 PM
2001 ga gt 3400

young gun
12-11-2013, 05:07 PM
I'm curious as to what car are you speaking of?

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80539

Schweppe

Sexy on wheels too.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqQOKiIE30FkQUDKBOBP6ET-jw~~_4.JPG

AaronGTR
12-11-2013, 07:07 PM
So the 4t45 will hold up had a couple people tell me they wont

Yes, the 4T45E will hold up. I'm running a built 4T45E in mine. Made 320whp at 9.5 psi of boost which is around 390 hp at the crank.

The 4T60/4T65 trans will bolt up to our block, but it is NOT a plug and play. Older grand ams used a 4T60 but they are a different chassis with a different sub-frame and trans mounts. A 4T65E-HD from a grand prix GTP would be a much stronger option than a 4T60, and it can be swapped in, but it requires a bunch of custom work like totally custom mounts, hybrid axles, changes to the wire harness and custom programming.

Your best options are a built 4T45E, a 4T65E-HD swap, or a manual swap using either a F40 6 speed or a getrag 282 5 speed (or 284 if you can find one). The 4T45 takes the least amount of work. All of them will require custom programming to get the most out of them, but the 4T45 will need the least. The other three need programming to even operate once installed in the car.

Upper and lower port and polished lt1 springs 65mm tb 1.6 rockers on ex 1.5 on intake 28lb injectors new crank
Heads were done ill have everything listed when done with car just wanted other options for a trans sleepyalero thanks for the input

Not sure if LT1 springs even fit these heads. Most people use LS6 springs, or an LS compatible spring from comp cams. Check out WOT-tech.com as they have a good assortment of engine parts you can use for the 3400.

I'll tell you right now to forget the 1.5 rockers... all factory rockers are already 1.6. They aren't even worth messing with. Also no need to touch the crank. They are plenty strong (and no one makes better replacements). Also you are going to need WAAAAY bigger injectors than the 28lb trailblazers to support 400hp. They won't even come close to that. I maxed out 36 lb/hr GTP injectors on my dyno pull, and had to switch up to Lucas 42 lb/hr.

xalteph
12-11-2013, 08:17 PM
Why is your name yellow?

bricooper78
12-11-2013, 08:21 PM
donated, and it's apparently fixed, last time i donated mine never changed. thought they'd given up on it.

royaldboy26
12-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the help sleepyalero i will look into everything kinda figured injectors would be to small the 1.5 rocker were only for intake side that came from a guy at ari racing when i bought my cam

royaldboy26
12-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Its just a new crank with 77 bearings had to be replaced ill check more into everything else just now starting to build my block

sleepyalero
12-11-2013, 09:12 PM
No problem. If you are serious. Im interested to see the outcome.

[ChaosweaveR]
12-11-2013, 09:55 PM
I'll be impressed once I see dyno sheets.

Until then, this is just another pipe dream thread.

3800L67GAM
12-12-2013, 07:18 AM
I've never even heard of a 440t4 trans. I think maybe you meant a 4t40e?

You would not want to use that trans for several reasons. That is the auto trans for the 4 cylinder grand ams. It's possible there may be a difference in the length of one of the output shafts so it might not match up to your axles properly, I'm not really sure on that point. I do know however that it's not rated to handle the torque your V6 engine makes. It also doesn't have the correct final drive ratio.

You want a 4t45e and you want one out of a GT like yours, because the 4t45e also had different final drive ratios between the GT and the V6 SE. Try and get one from '03-04 if you can. They will have less miles and will have all the improvements GM made up through 2003.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Cutlass_Ciera Here's the link that trans is real it comes in a cutlass ciera not a grand am in which the op stated.

MAC the KNIFE
12-12-2013, 09:35 AM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Cutlass_Ciera Here's the link that trans is real it comes in a cutlass ciera not a grand am in which the op stated.

1st of all, you have a reputation for being a dumbass. Aaron on the otherhand knows his sht.

2nd, quoting wikipedia? your argument is invalid.
we've seen wikipedia mess up even the most obvious car facts. it's downright funny.

3rd, how's that gtp engine swap going for ya?

ItsMeScottG
12-12-2013, 09:48 AM
1st of all, you have a reputation for being a dumbass. Aaron on the otherhand knows his sht.

2nd, quoting wikipedia? your argument is invalid.
we've seen wikipedia mess up even the most obvious car facts. it's downright funny.

3rd, how's that gtp engine swap going for ya?

Oh here we go again

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRk8iztJ4vnXvwYzFumQgKz-4jhnHOrWqXk95qBVqo1fZrVuOE0

[ChaosweaveR]
12-12-2013, 12:24 PM

pls go away

TDavis
12-12-2013, 01:06 PM
royal is 3800L67's other account

royaldboy26
12-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Royal is a new guy that started a thread to see what other options were out there like to get stuff rt the first time thanks to all the good input

H.O. Driver
12-12-2013, 02:23 PM
I think it would be more of a challenge to get a non electronically (vacuum) controlled trans to work on the car than an electronically controlled trans. With the tuners out there it would be easier to change tables than to try and delete and make it think it is there.

Honestly the amount you will spend to swap in a different trans, it would be cheaper to build up the 4t45-e for the power levels you are looking at. If you are going 800hp+ caged drag car then a swap would be in order for sure.

Good luck with the project, I really want to see someone pull a huge build off and get to the track, there has been lots of talk but not much action in this GA World.

sleepyalero
12-12-2013, 02:33 PM
Nick still has not gotten us dyno numbere on his ride.... or gi ceo as well.... both did turbo ga builds and we have no numbers....

royaldboy26
12-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Im also doing a turbo build im gonna stick around here till its done so i can post numbers desktop dyno has me at 420hp runnin only 12psi im sure i can get that ill post a video of my smallblock fiero in a couple mins so i can show im very capable of doing a grandam like i said beforw thinks to everyone that had good input on my trans question

royaldboy26
12-12-2013, 03:55 PM
My motor is up ill post real hp and track times when able to get to track would let me post video and this was the only pic i jad in my phone

sleepyalero
12-12-2013, 04:23 PM
I dont see pic.

royaldboy26
12-12-2013, 04:58 PM
The pic s in profile album its just a pics of the motor it wouldnt let me upload video that was the only pic i had in my phone

WireGeek
12-12-2013, 05:07 PM
OK I'm new to the forums myself and even though I've worked professionally as a Mechanic and hot Rod Builder at www.zoomers-automotive.com in Denver, I'm still a NOOB when it comes to transmissions in my car.

I was under the impression that my 1999 Grand Am has a 4T40-E transmission in it, and that the 4T45-E was later in the years these cars were manufactured. I believe I read that the 4T45-E was used from 2003 to 2005. I have no idea if this is correct and for that matter which transmission my car actually has in it?

I found this trans on the web

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/catalog/gm-complete-performance-transmissions/4t40e--4t45e-performance-transmission-4311.html

3K for a transmission seems a little pricey and I'm not sure if it is worth the money for the unit?

Also Milzy Motorsports has a 4T65-E trans & conversion kit for 4K http://www.milzymotorsports.com/grand-am-n-body-4t65e-hd-conversion-kit/
and again I'm wondering if this is worth the 4K, it says it comes with a PCM written for the new trans.

So just like royalboy I'm interested in what is the best way to go for a transmission in my 1999 GA SE once I'm ready to rebuild the car and make it my new toy.

I haven't talked to my Tranny guy (sounds weird to write that, Jerry would probably be pissed if he knew I called him a Tranny) and asked him about rebuilding a transmission in the car. He rebuilt the one in the car in 2005 when the car had 150K miles on it, and his rebuild has lasted another 150k miles and is still going so I'm thinking he did a good job on the rebuild last time around, and the number of transmissions he's rebuilt with no problems is impressive. He is a builder for AAMCO and in 2012 he overhauled 328 transmissions with 4 comebacks.

This time around I want to build a decent engine for it, and put a transmission behind it that will hold up.

Any info or advice I would greatly appreciate as I am only doing research at this point and getting a budget together to do this project.

royaldboy26
12-12-2013, 05:15 PM
From what ive foind out 4t45e built will hold up to a built motor i believe ur car has a 4t45

MAC the KNIFE
12-12-2013, 05:52 PM
I was under the impression that my 1999 Grand Am has a 4T40-E transmission in it, and that the 4T45-E was later in the years these cars were manufactured. I believe I read that the 4T45-E was used from 2003 to 2005. I have no idea if this is correct and for that matter which transmission my car actually has in it?...

i know my 99 gt has a 4t45e. i think all the v6 models came with 4t45's, but the final drive gear was different from the gt to the se.

sleepyalero
12-12-2013, 05:58 PM
I was gonna buy that 4t45 from ipt. Its 2900 and built. Yeah its gonna be pricey. But I decdied to go with the 6 speed manual instead for an extra 2000 lol

AaronGTR
12-13-2013, 08:45 AM
I was under the impression that my 1999 Grand Am has a 4T40-E transmission in it, and that the 4T45-E was later in the years these cars were manufactured. I believe I read that the 4T45-E was used from 2003 to 2005. I have no idea if this is correct and for that matter which transmission my car actually has in it?

Definitely not. It's a 4T45E for sure. 4T40E was only used in the 4cyl and was rpo code MN4. It was previously used with the 3100 engine. The 4T45E was introduced in '99 with increased torque capacity for use with the 3400 engine in N-chassis cars and is rpo code MN5. Every 99+ V6 grand am both SE and GT has a 4T45, and then there is another RPO code for their individual final drive ratio. ;)

I found this trans on the web

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/catalog/gm-complete-performance-transmissions/4t40e--4t45e-performance-transmission-4311.html

3K for a transmission seems a little pricey and I'm not sure if it is worth the money for the unit?

Also Milzy Motorsports has a 4T65-E trans & conversion kit for 4K http://www.milzymotorsports.com/grand-am-n-body-4t65e-hd-conversion-kit/
and again I'm wondering if this is worth the 4K, it says it comes with a PCM written for the new trans.

I've seen someone else post a link to that IPT place before. Never heard of anyone who actually bought one of their transmissions though. No results or numbers on their site, and no specifics of what they actually do to the trans... that makes me very skeptical. I don't think it's worth $3k either. And they are in New Jersey... I don't trust companies from New Jersey. lol Level10 transmissions is in NJ too, and they used to build 4T65's for guys in the grand prix crowd, and a whole bunch of their trans exploded.

The swap kit from Milzy is expensive yes, but it does work and is good. If you have the knowledge and skill can you do it yourself cheaper? Sure. He provides a complete solution for people that can't do it themselves, or don't want to go through the effort, which is why it costs that much. I personally don't think it's worth it, but that's just me. It's nice to have the option there for people.

So just like royalboy I'm interested in what is the best way to go for a transmission in my 1999 GA SE once I'm ready to rebuild the car and make it my new toy....

...This time around I want to build a decent engine for it, and put a transmission behind it that will hold up.

Any info or advice I would greatly appreciate as I am only doing research at this point and getting a budget together to do this project.

I provided the parts myself and had mine rebuilt by a local guy and it was a little over $1k I think. I ordered my clutches and steels that were Koleen nitride treated though Rossler Transmission in Ohio. They did the complete trans build for Schweppe's car (second fastest GA on this site) and they have a good reputation. Anyway, here is a link to some of the upgrades that can be done to the 4T45E. http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showpost.php?p=936421&postcount=4

That thread used to be stickied at the top of the performance section but was getting old so it got removed. The trans info is still good though. Only think I still want to do to mine that I haven't got around to yet is replacing the plastic accumulator pistons. I have the aluminum ones from superior but I didn't have them when I did the first rebuild so I haven't installed them yet. I'll get around to it one of these days. Other than that, most of my build was simply replacing parts with upgraded parts. The raybestos clutches are really the key. Stock clutches don't have enough torque capacity. There are other things you can upgrade, parts that can be cryo-treated, etc etc. There is a member on here named gectek who works at a performance shop in Texas that was offering full custom rebuilds at one point. He had a huge list of options available and did really good work. I haven't heard from him in a long time though and don't know if he's still doing that or not. But it is possible to upgrade and modify a lot of the internals.

sleepyalero
12-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Aaron ipt has a list of what is done to make that trans better.

AaronGTR
12-13-2013, 09:18 AM

Yeah, I remember looking at that before, and calling BS. It doesn't look like a real list, and doesn't really tell you anything.

Valve bodies are custom calibrated to provide firm, efficient shifts.
Modified pressure regulation system to furnish precise line pressure increase as needed with open throttle conditions.
Redesigned converter clutch apply circuit to yield greater holding capacity under high horsepower use.
New Solenoids installed
Modified pressure control solenoid installed (4T65E)
Additional Clutches Installed
Hi-Energy Friction Material Installed
Modified pump to increase volume and enhance fluid flow throughout the unit.
Heat treated pump driveshaft to prevent spline stripping
Heat treated apply sleeve to prevent breakage
Modified aftermarket front sun gear to prevent the pitting and galling often associated with the OEM part.
Heat treated final drive sun gear to prevent the metal fatigue associated with the OEM part.
New Torrington Bearing set installed to reduce frictional losses and prevent component failure
High strength drive chains utilized to prevent stretch and skipping teeth.
Limited Slip Differential available (optional)

First off, you can't "calibrate" the valve bodies to change the shifts. They are computer controlled by the shift solenoids. Same thing with the line pressure... computer controlled. You can't add clutches to the trans so that is BS. Modifying the fluid pump for more volume won't do any good since it's sized to provide the correct flow for the passages in the transmission, and may actually end up damaging the trans (like putting the high volume oil pump in an engine not modified for it).

All the other stuff they list like the heat treated pump shaft, sun gear, new bearings etc, is all stuff that GM upgraded themselves on the trans through '03 and all stuff you would get with normal replacement parts. It's not anything special they are doing, and is just a bunch of fluff they threw in there to wow noobs who don't know anything. That's why I said they don't sound reliable.

WireGeek
12-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Definitely not. It's a 4T45E for sure. 4T40E was only used in the 4cyl and was rpo code MN4. It was previously used with the 3100 engine. The 4T45E was introduced in '99 with increased torque capacity for use with the 3400 engine in N-chassis cars and is rpo code MN5. Every 99+ V6 grand am both SE and GT has a 4T45, and then there is another RPO code for their individual final drive ratio. ;)

Not sure who posted earlier about wikipedia being incorrect, but it might have been on their site that I got the information about the 4T40E being in all GAs from 1999-02. Maybe not getting old and suffering from the CRS syndrom but again it could be another case of Wiki misinformation.....Big Bang Theory where Raj replies when asked what is he doing "Updating Wikipedia with misinformation".....LOL!!

I've seen someone else post a link to that IPT place before. Never heard of anyone who actually bought one of their transmissions though. No results or numbers on their site, and no specifics of what they actually do to the trans... that makes me very skeptical. I don't think it's worth $3k either. And they are in New Jersey... I don't trust companies from New Jersey. lol Level10 transmissions is in NJ too, and they used to build 4T65's for guys in the grand prix crowd, and a whole bunch of their trans exploded.

I'm with you on the New Jersey businesses being suspect, but Sleepyalero says they have a spec sheet on what they do the transmission. Although I'm still a little stuck on the 3K price tag, seems a little pricey for a DIY trans swap.

The swap kit from Milzy is expensive yes, but it does work and is good. If you have the knowledge and skill can you do it yourself cheaper? Sure. He provides a complete solution for people that can't do it themselves, or don't want to go through the effort, which is why it costs that much. I personally don't think it's worth it, but that's just me. It's nice to have the option there for people.

You know I am all for the saving time thing, and if Milzy kit is a drop in, program and go product then the 4K price tag although pricey, is worth it. His description states that it comes with polyurethane bushings and engine mounts, axles, PCM Torque Converter extra. If this kit makes the 4T45E swap to a 4T65E swap a weekend project and the car is back up and running with a built trans than it would be worth the price tag. I used to be willing to spend hours working on a project in order to save a few bucks, but now that I earn a good income, I've had to rethink my time spent and if something like this saves me days of labor, and weeks of down time for the car than I'm OK with paying that kind of money.

I provided the parts myself and had mine rebuilt by a local guy and it was a little over $1k I think. I ordered my clutches and steels that were Koleen nitride treated though Rossler Transmission in Ohio. They did the complete trans build for Schweppe's car (second fastest GA on this site) and they have a good reputation. Anyway, here is a link to some of the upgrades that can be done to the 4T45E. http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showpost.php?p=936421&postcount=4

That thread used to be stickied at the top of the performance section but was getting old so it got removed. The trans info is still good though. Only think I still want to do to mine that I haven't got around to yet is replacing the plastic accumulator pistons. I have the aluminum ones from superior but I didn't have them when I did the first rebuild so I haven't installed them yet. I'll get around to it one of these days. Other than that, most of my build was simply replacing parts with upgraded parts. The raybestos clutches are really the key. Stock clutches don't have enough torque capacity. There are other things you can upgrade, parts that can be cryo-treated, etc etc. There is a member on here named gectek who works at a performance shop in Texas that was offering full custom rebuilds at one point. He had a huge list of options available and did really good work. I haven't heard from him in a long time though and don't know if he's still doing that or not. But it is possible to upgrade and modify a lot of the internals.

I will definitely check out that post and see what it has to say.

I called my buddy that overhauls my transmissions, and was asking about rebuilding my Trans again only beefier, and he said if I get him a list of parts, suppliers, and what is done to it he can definitely rebuild it to take the hoarsepower, and probably for a lot less than 3K. Although when I told him that I called him a "Tranny Guy", he responded with....I don't wear women's cloths! To which I replied...with that long ass pony tail you could probably get away with it. His next response was.....How much are you looking to save? Keep giving me crap and that price could end up over 3K!! DOOH, don't piss off your transmission mechanic, even if he does have a pony tail longer than most women, including his wife!!!!

Thanks, I will give them a call and see what I can find!! If I keep pissing my transmission mechanic off I might have to go this route!!!

Thanks for the great responses!!:applause:

sleepyalero
12-13-2013, 10:00 AM
They dont really have a spec sheet its more of a what was upgraded sheet. Says additional clutches and some other things..

sleepyalero
12-13-2013, 10:03 AM
Heres there list on it.

Valve bodies are custom calibrated to provide firm, efficient shifts.
Modified pressure regulation system to furnish precise line pressure increase as needed with open throttle conditions.
Redesigned converter clutch apply circuit to yield greater holding capacity under high horsepower use.
New Solenoids installed
Modified pressure control solenoid installed (4T65E)
Additional Clutches Installed
Hi-Energy Friction Material Installed
Modified pump to increase volume and enhance fluid flow throughout the unit.
Heat treated pump driveshaft to prevent spline stripping
Heat treated apply sleeve to prevent breakage
Modified aftermarket front sun gear to prevent the pitting and galling often associated with the OEM part.
Heat treated final drive sun gear to prevent the metal fatigue associated with the OEM part.
New Torrington Bearing set installed to reduce frictional losses and prevent component failure
High strength drive chains utilized to prevent stretch and skipping teeth.
Limited Slip Differential available (optional)
4T40E and 4T45E: $2975

AaronGTR
12-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Yeah, like I said half of that list is BS. They are a VERY suspect company IMO. No way I'd send them my money.

I'd go to Rossler long before them.

WireGeek
12-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Yeah, like I said half of that list is BS. They are a VERY suspect company IMO. No way I'd send them my money.

I'd go to Rossler long before them.

Are you talking about these guys: http://www.rosslertrans.com/

You know I had seen that list on their website and was questioning many of the things you were, like:Redesigned converter clutch apply circuit to yield greater holding capacity under high horsepower use. AND Valve bodies are custom calibrated to provide firm, efficient shifts.

Sounds like a bunch of meaningless lines to impress people that don't know any better!

Although I was wondering about the extra clutches statement, I know when I used to overhaul turbo 350, and 400's back in the 80's the trick was to eliminate the play in the clutch packs by adding in an extra steel, or clutch and steel, if there was enough room for them, to eliminate the play in the clutch pack and make the shifts firmer and faster.

I wasn't aware that the 4T45E transmission needed this type of modification to increase the hold and shift firmness as it is an electronic trans.

BTW I'm dating myself with the turbo350 & 400 comment, and yes those transmissions were easy to overhaul and add shift kits to them, and I used to overhaul them myself. These new transmissions are out of my league and I typically rely on much more competent people than me and my shade tree experience!

AaronGTR
12-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Yep, that's the link for Rossler. I know they are in Ohio. Schweppe lives in Ohio so he's close to them and had them do his complete trans build. I had them order me a set of the raybestos blue clutches and the treated steels at the same time since they were treating a set for him, and had them shipped to me for my build.

The thing I had to wait for longest was my EP limited slip diff. Was almost 6 months I think iirc? Took a long time to get the refund for my core charge too. It's not a perfect solution either, since it basically just a couple spring loaded plates between the halves of the stock diff that apply some pre-load and transfer a little force between the two sides. If you turn really hard and accelerate hard, or are on a very slippery surface, the inside tire will still spin. It helps a little bit though, and if one tires starts to spin it does continue to provide some push from the other tire, so it's better than stock. No one else makes a diff for this trans so it's the only choice. Quaife is too expensive and probably wouldn't be interested in making one since they wouldn't sell many, and phantom grip's design is patented (but it would certainly work better).

H.O. Driver
12-14-2013, 07:25 AM