one click when attempting to start? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : one click when attempting to start?

Norco
12-18-2013, 11:50 PM
Long story but here it goes lol

Had to boost my car to move it after it sat for couple months and i got it started after about 20 or so mins as it was -20 outside. After i got it running i used it for an hour or so without shutting it off, but then suddenly the car just died on me while it was parked idling, the tachs jumped around and had a constant clicking under glove box, so i disconnected the battery and noticed the battery was frozen, it was a balloon, so i guess charging the battery for that hour ended up toasting the battery for good. So i went and bought a new battery and after installing it, everything seemed to work fine on the dash lights, stereo etc, but when i went to try to start it for the first time, it would just click once each attempt, after about 10 tries or so it would start and this was within couple minutes. After the first time it did start, i could turn it off and start it usually first attempt but days later it sometimes does the one click but didnt usually take as many atttempts as the first time. so im pretty sure nothing to do with the passlock, so was just wondering what could the one click be a sign of? it never did this at all when i was boosting it, starter? car doesnt like the new battery? or somethign got messed up when the car died?

any info be great thanks :D

xUnderCoverHoBo
12-19-2013, 02:18 AM
Off topic but i love that this is your first post and youve been a member for 4 years. Lol

WireGeek
12-19-2013, 06:19 PM
How are the cables? are they clean, tight on the starter and the ground connection. I've experienced the one click scenario and replaced the battery cables and it fixed the issue.

Also you might want to check the starter, it could be going out and causing the problem. Pretty easy to remove and most parts stores can check it out. Also put a volt meter on the battery, when running should charge above 13V, off be between 12 & 13 volts, and it should not drop below 10V when you crank the engine.

Those are my suggestions:)

sleepyalero
12-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Dont listen to wiregeek. He has no idea what he is doing and is just making it up as he goes along.... ;)

Jk... he has some good info there...

bricooper78
12-19-2013, 07:41 PM
the click is the bendix being engaged in the starter, but not enough power to spin it. Wiregeek is the man here, listen to him, he is wise beyond his post count

WireGeek
12-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Sleepyalero is right I'm guessing as usual.

My typical troubleshooting method is SWAG - Sophisticated Wild Ass Guess!!!:doh:

sleepyalero
12-20-2013, 12:41 PM
Well he is the wire geek so this should be his specialty coop

greddy2race
12-20-2013, 06:29 PM
I had a problem like this and it turned out the negative battery cable going to the starter was disconnected.

bricooper78
12-20-2013, 10:19 PM
Yup, there are a million problems that a bad ground can cause. Such a huge pain to trace down too.

Also, the starter could be getting weak, so it needs a REAL GOOD battery, but I very very highly doubt it

Norco
12-23-2013, 10:54 PM
thanks for the info, its parked now for winter but ill take a look in the spring, hope its something simple like starter or cable lol

xUnderCoverHoBo
12-23-2013, 11:05 PM
I just got left stranded while delivering pizza. Car randomely wouldnt start. Tried jumping it, nothing. Not even a click. Battery is new of last week. So starter or alternator probs alternator. ****ty day

2000 GT Coupe
12-23-2013, 11:07 PM
I just got left stranded while delivering pizza. Car randomely wouldnt start. Tried jumping it, nothing. Not even a click. Battery is new of last week. So starter or alternator probs alternator. ****ty day

Security light come on? Damn passlock problem would be better then starter or alt problem

xUnderCoverHoBo
12-24-2013, 12:43 PM
I hate the damn passlock problem in this car!!!!