Fog lights not working [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fog lights not working

xalteph
12-22-2013, 12:42 PM
So my fog lights aren't turning on at all. The bulbs and fuses are fine. The fog light switch I replaced. The wire is connected to the bulbs. I am turning on the fog light when the low beams are on. Just doesn't turn on at all.

At one point I could hear a relay clicking in the passenger fuse box when pressing the fog light switch.

AaronGTR
12-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Did you check with a voltage tester to see if you are getting power to the plug for the fog lights when the switch is on? If you aren't getting any power, and everything else is fine, then it might be a bad relay or a break in the wire.

From the schematic, it looks like there is a fuse and a relay in the right hand IP junction block (right side of the dash). If I'm reading it correctly, the power from the fuse goes to the relay coil and the relay contacts (which are open). The other side of the relay coil goes to the BCM then over to the fog light switch. The switch has 3 wires going to it. One from the BCM, one to ground, and one from the contacts on the relay. When you turn the switch on it should complete the circuit to ground and power up the relay coil, closing the relay contacts and sending power to the fog light switch indicator lamp (the little orange light) and to the under hood junction block. It doesn't show any kind of relay or fuse in the under hood block, and nothing in there is listed for the fog lights, so you shouldn't have to check anything in there. From there it should go directly to the right and left fog light plug, through the bulb, and back to ground. It's also possible the under hood ground for the fog light circuit isn't getting good contact. Try checking the voltage from the purple wire on the plug (hot side) to a separate wire hooked to a ground point.

xUnderCoverHoBo
12-23-2013, 12:55 AM
For me the problem was the switch itself