Where is the oil leaking from? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Where is the oil leaking from?

Megatronn
12-26-2013, 07:07 AM
Ok so a little history. Car had some overheating issues when I bought it. I ended up replacing the head gaskets and all the gaskets on the top end. 2 years almost to the day later, major oil leak. this just started about 2 weeks ago. I am losing about 2 quarts about every 5 days. I put some oil honey in there and that seems to have slowed it a bit. When you look under the car it is basically on the ground everywhere. I looked underneath and the oil filter area and the oil pan area are for the most part pretty dry. This is a 2000 GT 3.4L. If i look under the hood from the top down i can see oil pooling up on the black to the right of the front cylinder head. It's basically right below where the upper radiator hose connects. If you look down you can see the head, and just to the right of that in an area you can barely see there is a spot for oil to pool up. My dad seems to think it's an oil pressure/level sensor that may be loose and spilling out oil. I didn't think it was in that are though. I do not have any loss of power or surging or any apparent compression loss, no vaccum leaks either. Help.Anyone?

Starglow
12-26-2013, 11:16 AM
It would help greatly if you could post up some pictures, but based on your description there are two possibilities and the first being the LIM gasket has failed again. However, in that area you are describing assuming I'm understanding you correctly is the oil pump drive shaft which has a seal that has been known to fail.

I would suggest removing the MAF and air tube section between the air box and the throttle body so you can get a better look at the rear of the engine below the throttle body to see where the oil is coming from.

You can clearly see the oil pump drive shaft in this picture...it's the round silver thing at the bottom of the picture with a bracket and bolt securing it to the engine. If you remove the bracket, the drive shaft pulls straight up to remove it and the shaft has a seal on in that can be replaced.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/Starglow/Pontiac%20Grand%20AM/DSCF0097.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/Starglow/media/Pontiac%20Grand%20AM/DSCF0097.jpg.html)

Megatronn
12-27-2013, 02:14 PM
I took a look at where you where referring to and it appears to be pretty dry in that area. Here are the best pics i could get.

Starglow
12-28-2013, 12:41 AM
Well it could be the LIM gaskets but I can't really tell from that angle. You should be able to get a good angle view from the drivers side with the air tube removed.

There's only a few possibilities that it could be in that particular area, so you're going to need to get in there to really see what's going on even if it means removing the throttle body which should give you plenty of access. The other option is to clean up the oil as best as you can and keep a close eye on it for a few days to see if you can tell where the leak originates from. You can get an oil dye but that really shouldn't be necessary in this case to find the source.

Megatronn
12-30-2013, 12:12 PM
I had a feeling i was going to have to pull stuff apart. With it being only about 15 degrees here in Michigan right now I was hoping someone would just know. I appreciate your help. At lease the air assembly comes apart fairly easy.

kzulfic
12-30-2013, 03:49 PM
I would say it's the LIM gasket, every time mine go it's not the gasket it the RTV in that exact spot. I've never lost that much though, must be pretty bad if that is it.

Starglow
12-30-2013, 06:58 PM
I had a feeling i was going to have to pull stuff apart. With it being only about 15 degrees here in Michigan right now I was hoping someone would just know. I appreciate your help. At lease the air assembly comes apart fairly easy.

You can try using a small but very bright flashlight to shine in there and maybe see what's going on but it's really hard to see much below the thermostat housing with the crossover pipe in the way. Sometimes I use a flashlight and a mirror which helps.