Engine Swap [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Engine Swap

gudge
12-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Well as I posted, in my thread specifically dedicated to updating the modifications I do to my car, my lifter and cam were trashed and needed to be replaced. Well my mechanic went to remove the cam today and it wouldn't come out. He said the bearings are trashed as well and at this point I should just swap the engine. So that's my plan. My main question is 3400 or 3500? Which should I go with? Is it going to be a huge increase in cost to do the 3500 swap?

MAC the KNIFE
12-28-2013, 02:10 PM
i was kinda looking at this option too, not long ago. I found a salvage yard in town with DOZENS of 3500 LX9's with low mileage, less than 10'ooo miles!!!! only a thousand bux. long blocks.

about all i remember about the swap is that you'd need a "TCE" crank timer swap thingamajig.
there's plenty of threads on here, and that kid, i cant remember his name that loves milzy so much made a pretty good list of the parts you'd need to swap over.

gudge
12-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Well I called and the mechanic said he would not swap anything besides the normal stock 3400. He didn't want to be held liable for swapping anything other than what the engine came with. So now I don't know what to do. Do I say forget it and take the car else where or do I just go ahead and swap in a 3400.

2000 GT Coupe
12-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Well I called and the mechanic said he would not swap anything besides the normal stock 3400. He didn't want to be held liable for swapping anything other than what the engine came with. So now I don't know what to do. Do I say forget it and take the car else where or do I just go ahead and swap in a 3400.

How good, and what price point is your mechanic? If this guy is a wizard and has cheap prices, go with built 3400, if he is not dump him and find someone that can/will 3500 swap it.

mfuller
12-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Not to crap on your thread, but soon I will have a mildly-built 3400 for sale. Will drop right in and provide a decent bump in power. Only has about 16,000 miles on it. PM me if interested - Janesville is pretty close to me.

sleepyalero
12-28-2013, 05:12 PM
I'd go with Matts old motor if you can hold off. ;)

Idk how much he would want for it though. I've been in his car with that motor. And I approve.

Got to drive it too ;)

TDavis
12-28-2013, 06:15 PM
LSx swap in ga.

greddy2race
12-28-2013, 07:28 PM
LSx swap in ga.

Bettyracer, lol.

ItsMeScottG
12-28-2013, 07:48 PM
LSx swap in ga.

Go 3800 like 3800L67GAM... lol

In all seriousness if I had to do an engine swap I'd defiantly go with a LX9.

Starglow
12-28-2013, 08:17 PM

If he takes a bit of time to understand the swap then it's not really that much different from a 3400 installation, especially if you use the 3400 UIM which basically means everything connects the same as stock except for the trigger kit and rear engine mount....it's not rocket science.

gudge
12-28-2013, 10:14 PM
The guy would know how to do the 3500 swap he is very good. He has been a mechanic at one of the top GM dealerships and service center in the state for many years. I live in a GM city. The GM plant used to be here so he has done a lot of work on all GM cars and knows his stuff. He just said he would only do a stock engine swap since it is the least risk option for him.

Smithkid21
12-28-2013, 10:17 PM
Go 3800 like 3800L67GAM... lol

In all seriousness if I had to do an engine swap I'd defiantly go with a LX9.

:applause: lollollollollol

2000 GT Coupe
12-28-2013, 10:39 PM
The guy would know how to do the 3500 swap he is very good. He has been a mechanic at one of the top GM dealerships and service center in the state for many years. I live in a GM city. The GM plant used to be here so he has done a lot of work on all GM cars and knows his stuff. He just said he would only do a stock engine swap since it is the least risk option for him.

While I can understand his point, if you take money professionally for mechanic work and someone comes in with problems you have to stand by your work and any engine that is not stock can be problematic, it does not matter that the engine was from another gm.
I think you can go somewhere else to get what you want done.

99ga
12-28-2013, 11:42 PM
HOYS had a killer deal for a LX9+SWAP KIT for about $600+shipping.

Starglow
12-29-2013, 06:48 AM

I guess it really depends on what kind of price he can get you on a 3400 engine. I paid $450 for my LX9 with 38k miles on it and it's definitely a step up in power from the stock 3400 and it's not as noisy...much better design. If you really trust your mechanic and his work then perhaps he'll do it if you sign a waiver relieving him of any liability, but in reality you could do the swap yourself as well.