Aftermarket fog light issue [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket fog light issue

Sleepwalkr
12-31-2013, 02:42 PM
So apparently this stumped the guys at AutoZone, O'Reilly & Pep Boys. Thought I'd give you wiring/lighting guys a shot.

About 3 weeks ago, I bought and installed some aftermarket fog/driving lights under the bumper...in addition to the factory fogs. Everything worked just fine for 2 weeks, then one night they stopped working altogether. The lights don't come on, nor does the light on the rocker switch. I went through all the wiring, connections, fuse, and grounds...and everything is fine.

So I disconnected the plug wires from the rocker switch. I then touched the positive to the auxiliary positive...you know, the positive terminal attached to the underhood fuse box?....and the negative to a ground, and the lights come on just fine. So, I thought, ok...must be a bad rocker switch. So I bought a new one.

Nope. Still doesn't work.

So again... The lights come on fine when I touch the bare wires to a positive and a negative ground, but when I plug it into the switch....nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any ideas or comments.

unchained_01
12-31-2013, 02:59 PM
check fuse ?

greddy2race
12-31-2013, 03:18 PM
break in the wire somewhere inbetween the switch and lights

rocketfast123
12-31-2013, 03:21 PM
Are the second set of lights running off the power from the OEM lights? If you can make i simple wiring diagram in MSpaint that can help me out alot.

bricooper78
12-31-2013, 08:51 PM
^ agreed.

Where did you run the power from? Or, if you run from the battery to the switch direct, see if it works that way. Maybe if you jumped into a factory wire, you popped it's fuse, and just haven't tried to use whatever the fuse is actually for... without knowing what you jumped into, it's really a guess

Sleepwalkr
01-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Thank for the comments.

Starting with the lights themselves, I installed them under the bumper. The negative wires from each bulb (h3 style) are grounded to a couple of nuts up underneath the metal bumper, near the factory fogs. The positive wires from each bulb both come together and connect to 1 wire that goes straight to the rocker switch I installed inside the car. Those are the only 2 wires directly connected to the lights themselves. There are 2 more wires... One is the power supply positive that goes from the rocker switch, directly to the positive battery source in the fuse box under the hood. That wire does have a fuse in it. I checked that and it's fine. The last wire is just the little ground wire that comes from the rocker switch for a ground for the rocker illumination. That is grounded to a metal bracket under the dash.

I checked all of my grounds, the connections, the fuse, and the bulbs.

What I don't understand is this...... When I take the wires off of the rocker switch itself, then touch them to a positive and a ground... The lights come on and work just fine, so long as I'm manually holding the wires to the positive battery terminal, and a bare metal negative.

When I plug those same wires back into the rocker switch, nothing happens. No fog light illumination, no rocker switch illumination...nothing.

These lights are completely separate from any other lights or wiring in the car. No splices, no tapping...nothing.

Thanks again for any ideas.

TruGreenGAGT
01-01-2014, 01:39 PM
its possible the switch is hooked wrong.

do your stock fog lights still work?

Sleepwalkr
01-01-2014, 02:11 PM
its possible the switch is hooked wrong.

do your stock fog lights still work?

Yah, they're fine. I didn't touch the stock fogs or any other lighting or wiring when I installed the aftermarket ones.

bricooper78
01-01-2014, 02:35 PM
I'd be more inclined to say move the ground than dig through power. Just to do it, leave the power side, but hook that ground to the engine, bracket, frame rail, something like that, and try it again.

TruGreenGAGT
01-01-2014, 02:48 PM
k so you have a positive hot wire coming from the under hood fuse box that goes to the center pin on your rocker switch, then from the other pin a wire going to the positive wires of the driving lights. and last pin of rocker is grounded so the rocker lights when on.

you should be able to just touch the two wires together the hot from fuse box and the wire going to pos of lights, and they should light. if not I would pull all wires and start over, there may be a break or short somewhere.

what gauge wire did you use?

rocketfast123
01-01-2014, 04:11 PM
You burnt the switch contacts out. Most of the time they are very cheap and can't take the high current draw. I advise installing a relay when using the cheap switches. I was to cheap when it happened to me and installed a house light switch in my car. I did fix it like a year later.

Sleepwalkr
01-01-2014, 09:14 PM
k so you have a positive hot wire coming from the under hood fuse box that goes to the center pin on your rocker switch, then from the other pin a wire going to the positive wires of the driving lights. and last pin of rocker is grounded so the rocker lights when on.

you should be able to just touch the two wires together the hot from fuse box and the wire going to pos of lights, and they should light. if not I would pull all wires and start over, there may be a break or short somewhere.

what gauge wire did you use?

If I can't figure it out, I probably will end up re-doing the whole thing.

The lights came with 18 gauge wiring, and I added 16-18 gauge wire when extending the rocker positive.

Sleepwalkr
01-01-2014, 09:17 PM
You burnt the switch contacts out. Most of the time they are very cheap and can't take the high current draw. I advise installing a relay when using the cheap switches. I was to cheap when it happened to me and installed a house light switch in my car. I did fix it like a year later.

Well, I kinda thought that too at first, but it didn't work even for a second when I bought a new switch.

TruGreenGAGT
01-01-2014, 09:23 PM
its poss too a connection in your wiring came loose somewhere also

I'd go through and check all connections are tight, and all grounds are on bare shiny metal