02 se to ram air conversion [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 02 se to ram air conversion

sugar ray
01-03-2014, 09:26 PM
Have an 02 SE. No interest in a full mod to a GT. however would love to make a ram air conversion as a fun project. Couple questions for the old timers on this board. I see many ram air kits very cheap on eBay, looks simple enough to replace the stock air cleaner box. Do these kits have adapters that will allow the maf sensor to hook into?? Lastly, been looking at aftermarket ram air hoods. What would anyone recommend?? Duraflex?? How would the aftermarket hood tie into the ram air kit?? Thanks all!!

bricooper78
01-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Do you want to replace your stock air box with a cold air intake? or are you going to go the route of "put all the GT nonsense under my hood"?

cause the ram air was a farse, CAI is the way to go, search around, there has to be a thousand posts explaining it/arguing it lol

TDavis
01-03-2014, 09:31 PM
Wouldn't even consider installing a CAI/WAI/Ram air a project.

Ram air is a gimmick and doesn't do much on GT's besides on the highway. Save your time.

bricooper78
01-03-2014, 09:36 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/bcooper78/2013-04-12140753_zps3e698dfa.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/bcooper78/media/2013-04-12140753_zps3e698dfa.jpg.html)

That big silver tube is the cold air intake btw

99ga
01-03-2014, 10:35 PM
Get a CAI easier and less hassle to install and it sound pretty cool

sugar ray
01-04-2014, 01:32 AM
Thanks for the replies!! Guess I should rephrase this. Want to install a GT hood (with the 2 scoops) on my SE. In turn, how does one make the hood functional? More of a cosmetic thing. Not looking for more HP or to improve 1/4 mile times.

Yes cold air intake is what I meant, although, other then a fancy tube replacing air box and cool sound they make. Not sure how that intake tube improves air intake?? Anyways, did the fancy scoops in the GT hood have a function?? or did the vents just let more air in? Just want to upgrade the plain looking SE hood

AaronGTR
01-04-2014, 08:50 AM
You can't make the hood functional. At least not the OEM style hood anyway. The SD hood and SC/T style hood from stinger fiberglass (PFYC carried them) do have ducting underneath that would allow you to hook them to the air box. There was never a provision for this from the factory though. You had to cut a hole in the air box lid to match a hole in the hood ducting and put a supplied weather strip around one of the holes to seal them, then replace the panel filter inside with a cone filter (otherwise you wouldn't be filtering the air). This is still pointless though. A CAI still makes more power. The hood routing and stock intake routing is still too convoluted for good air velocity, and the hood gets heat soaked so your air will get hot unless you are moving above 35mph or so.

In other words don't bother. The hood is just for looks.

sugar ray
01-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Thanks Aaron!! Explained perfectly!! That's what I will be doing then. CAI kit and then the GT style hood to achieve the look!!