Another Gas Gauge Thread [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Another Gas Gauge Thread

2000 GT Coupe
01-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Ok I did a search, found this
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9125&highlight=fuel+float

but this really isn't the same.

I have noticed a few instances, in the last 3-18 months where this would happen, as explained in the thread I found where the gas gauge would sit at empty right after filling it. The first time I got out and bounced the rear of the car a couple of times the fuel gauge went right up to full like it should, the second and 3rd it went up within 40-60 seconds.

But now I have a completely different thing going on, well not really but seems like it.

I filled up and ran it for a few days and the gauge seemed to go down faster then it should have, I thought it could just be using more gas and didn't think too much of it. so after 4-5 days it was down at about 1/4 I decided to fill up, did so gauge went back to full and then over the next 4 days it went down to empty, light came on dinging the warning chime the entire 9 yards. I decided to fill up again. Noticed that it only took 11 gallons to fill didn't pay it a lot of attention though.
So fast forward to yesterday have only rarely driven the car but enough time/miles has gone by where I could have used up a lot of gas so I decide to put 10 in, light is on gauge shows empty but I am only going a mile or 2, start pumping gas and 1.7 gallons are all I can force into the tank. I get in the car and the gauge shows about 1/8th of a tank but withing 1 mile it drops to empty again.

I thought hell the float must have gave up and is "water logged" and it only moved up with the fresh gas then settled back, but the thread ^ says sending unit. What do you think?

Starglow
01-05-2014, 07:46 PM
Whatever it is it means dropping the tank to fix it. Mine is acting weird too but not doing the same thing your's is. Bottom line is don't trust the gas gauge.

2000 GT Coupe
01-05-2014, 07:48 PM
Ya dropping the tank is going to be a real pita. With my custom exhaust it may not drop far enough to allow the tank to clear.

rocketfast123
01-06-2014, 12:16 AM
Try some fuel treatment of your choice first. The resistor coils on the sender could be dirty also. Ethanol gas does that some times.

2000 GT Coupe
01-06-2014, 07:21 AM
Not a bad idea, some lucas? or Seafoam you think?

rocketfast123
01-06-2014, 12:28 PM
I think i used just 2 cans of the cheap STP stuff.