Brake bleeding order [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Brake bleeding order

xalteph
01-18-2014, 09:54 AM
I think I read somewhere on these forums that there is a certain order to bleed the brakes. I think you had to do the front brakes first then the rear. Is this true?

sleepyalero
01-18-2014, 10:19 AM
Technically you do the brake furthest from the resivoir.

I usually never follow that most of the time tho.

AaronGTR
01-18-2014, 10:19 AM
Opposite. You start with the farthest caliper from the master cylinder first. So you do rear passenger side first, then rear driver side, front passenger side, and front driver side last. :thumbs:

unchained_01
01-18-2014, 11:14 AM
Someone needs to read again LOL

Starglow
01-18-2014, 11:19 AM
Opposite. You start with the farthest caliper from the master cylinder first. So you do rear passenger side first, then rear driver side, front passenger side, and front driver side last. :thumbs:

That's the same process I follow and have never had a problem. I know some will say that's not the "official" method, but it works for me.

sleepyalero
01-18-2014, 11:34 AM
Honestly I just bleed what ever order I feel like. Most the time I start the rear but never in specific order. Ive never had issues.

xalteph
01-18-2014, 11:40 AM
Thank you.

AaronGTR
01-18-2014, 07:47 PM
That's the same process I follow and have never had a problem. I know some will say that's not the "official" method, but it works for me.

That's the "official" method as far as I'm concerned. It's the order it says to do it in the service manual. :)

2000 GT Coupe
01-18-2014, 08:44 PM
Honestly I just bleed what ever order I feel like. Most the time I start the rear but never in specific order. Ive never had issues.

The reason to follow the method Aaron outlines is because if there is air in the system, and I dont mean just a single little bubble, you do the fronts first there wont be enough pressure to push all the air out of the line along the length of the car.

I am not sure if that is the official reason but it is what I have seen in my own experience.

You would then need to drive the car around and let those bubbles be wiggled out closer to the calipers.

sleepyalero
01-18-2014, 09:11 PM
Gotcha. Well I mean I always do the rear first. But never in soecified order. So say ill do driver rear. Then pass rear. Then pass front. driver front.