bought a 94 grand am with a 3.1what needs to be changed [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : bought a 94 grand am with a 3.1what needs to be changed

themanytoys15
01-25-2014, 06:04 PM
Hello, I recently bought a grand am it has 250,000 miles on it. I replaced the fuel pump already. water pump. Spark plugs, wires, coils, coolant temperature sensor, thermostat, 02 sensors.

Do you recommend the timing chain be changed once I rip the engine apart to replace the head gaskets and resurface the heads?

What other things do you recommend?

Need guidance please. I just need it to run stable. Thanks.

plastic_indian
01-25-2014, 08:14 PM
You are asking for trouble tearing into a quarter million mile motor. Leave the long block alone until something breaks, then either replace or overhaul it.

themanytoys15
01-25-2014, 10:19 PM
You are asking for trouble tearing into a quarter million mile motor. Leave the long block alone until something breaks, then either replace or overhaul it.

Thanks for the advice

AaronGTR
01-26-2014, 08:07 AM
I agree with Mark. If it has a head gasket leak and needs to repaired, that's one thing. Then I would go ahead and replace the timing chain since they do stretch over time. However if it doesn't appear to have any problems, leave it alone and just drive it. You are more likely to run into issues by trying to tear it down. Since you just want it for daily driving and aren't going to be modding it/revving the snot out of it, the timing chain should be fine.

xUnderCoverHoBo
01-26-2014, 09:54 AM
This makes me miss my 93 avalon with 265 k miles